IGNORED

What is the great appeal of ther Ryder Cup?

elivate
Note: This thread is 6427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a Canadian, I really don't get too caught up in the Ryder Cup. I love watching it for the play, but it really does not mean that much to me who actually wins.

I must admit that I have been cheering for the Europeans a little more in past cups simply because I really like some of the players who were on the teams... This year, I love the fact that some of the up and coming US guys are there, and the Darren Clarke story is a good one, too.

I guess I am just wondering if the Americans and Europeans here really get into this event from a patriotic point of view, regardless if you are a fan or not of the particular players on each team?

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Well, being a U.S. citizen, I love the event. If the Ryder Cup was Canada vs. Europe, you would love it just as much as the people from the U.S. and Europe. So you kinda answered your own question a little.

There is no better event in golf than The Ryder Cup. I love the majors, but the spirit of the Ryder Cup is just a little better. And it's only every two years, which makes it even more special.

It's a U.S. and Europe thing, but all countries still watch it regardless just for the good play like you mentioned. I read that 150 countries will be able to watch The Ryder Cup this year. It has turned into one of the most popular events in all of sports.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is the great appeal of ther Ryder Cup

...it turns golf into a team event. As a Canadian do you have a favorite Hockey Team? As an American, I can get behind the team that will take on the Europeans with much more interest than if it were just an individual. I would think it has a "World Cup Soccer" feel to it. I am starting to get into World Cup Soccer and I can see some similarities with regards to the Nationalistic competition.

Also, since the advent of European dominance of this event over the last 15 years, it makes it that much more of a rivalry. If the Ryder cup had continued with American dominace during the 60's. 70's and much of the 80's, I don't think America would be as interested.

It's a team event, which makes it fairly unique for golf. I think the players probably like it because they rarely get to experience the camaraderie of a team since they are usually competing against everyone else. Also, its unique for the fans because its match play instead of the stroke play they see every week on the PGA Tour. Finally, its a chance for the fans to root for their country instead of a single player. National pride, just like the Olympics.

I love the Ryder Cup and I have to admit, the European dominance has actually made it that much more interesting. Since I became a huge golf fan, the US has struggled. Each loss makes me want them to win so much more. I was so excited when they announced that the 2004 Cup would be at Oakland Hills. When I got the letter from the PGA of America that I had gotten tickets to the Saturday matches I was floored. Even the terrible start on Friday didn't dampen it too much. When I walked across the bridge from the North Course to the event, I felt like a little kid again. I went to the Super Bowl when it was at the Silver Dome 20 years ago and I have been to the Stanley Cup finals and the NBA finals and they don't compare. This is a world event. More importantly, it is my country. I like many of the European players, but on Friday, they are the enemy. I will even cheer for Mickleson to win.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!