IGNORED

Looking to replace my driver shaft...need some advice please

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was at Golfsmith this afternoon hitting clubs (do that quite often there and a few of the people that work there know me) and I started talking to one of the guys about thinking about changing the shaft out in my current driver. I currently have a TM R7 Limited TP 10.5* driver with the Rombax Stiff shaft. I love the feel of the driver but think that I'm losing some distance and control from the driver. At times, even on shots on the sweet spot, I feel a vibration through, making me think that I'm not getting the most out of my drives.

The guy at GS suggested that I look into the Aldila VS Proto "By You" shaft in 70-S (my swing speed is 105-107 on average and attack the ball pretty good). We looked around in the used driver section and found a Ping Rapture 10.5* with the VS Proto 65-S. I was averaging about 265 carry and 275-280 yards total. The launch angle was a little low in 11.5*, but the spin was around 2500 with fairly right dispersion.

For those of you that have experience with the shaft, I have a few questions:

1. What, if any, difference would I see with the heavier shaft?
2. Given my SS and swing type, is there any reason for me to look at X-stiff?
3. I'm looking at shortening the shaft length from its current 45 1/2" to 44 1/2" for more control. Would you suggest I just trip the stiff shaft from the butt or tip it?
4. Would you suggest any other shaft that may be similar to the VS Proto characteristics?

Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll have more follow up quesion...

your swing is good for Stiff, not x-stiff. when you're averaing above 110-115+ you can start looking at x-stiff. I swing at 115-118 and I stick with stiff.

With a heavier shaft, you might lose minimal distance but typically, heavier shafts give you more control, less swing speed.
Depending on what kind of ball flight you want, options are literally endless! I actually went into the store looking for a Aldila NV to lower my trajectory a bit and ended up walking away with a Graffaloy Prolaunch Red. Couldn't be any happier. I get a low trajectory, piercing flight and I'm still getting the distance I need.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

your swing is good for Stiff, not x-stiff. when you're averaing above 110-115+ you can start looking at x-stiff. I swing at 115-118 and I stick with stiff.

I'm looking for a mid piercing trajectory if that helps at all.

you should be paying more attention to the shaft characteristics than the flex. I used a S in the V2 76g, low launch, 2.2 torque, mid/high kick. In the Comp NT 65g I use an X, Mid launch, 3.1 torque. Flex has more to do with swing speed and tempo than ball flight

My swing speed is around 110-112 with a very quick transition, from the videos Ive tken of my swing it looks like I almost stop at the top of my swing. I can load a 75-80g shaft pretty well. VS Proto is low launch low spin, I would look into the V2 65g and you may find what your looking for

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

you should be paying more attention to the shaft characteristics than the flex. I used a S in the V2 76g, low launch, 2.2 torque, mid/high kick. In the Comp NT 65g I use an X, Mid launch, 3.1 torque. Flex has more to do with swing speed and tempo than ball flight

I do try and pay attention to all of the characteristics. I know the vs proto has a 2.8 torque and is a high kick shaft. I also do understand that flex has more to do with just trajectory. In my original post I said that my ss was average 105-107 mph and I have an aggressive swing. Much like the one you described for yours.

The guy at gs also suggested the V2 but they didn't have a driver there for me to try. He said the V2 was more stout. Let me ask a silly question. If you can load the heavier shafts well why don't you use them over the lighter shaft?

Expirimenting, still have the trusty 907 with the V2. Im trying to work on my tempo, I have a tendency to get a little wild off the tee. I waste a lot of shots punching out and crap like that and I end up scrambling for pars more than anything else. I went lighter (only other option in this shaft was 85g, which I have never ventured into the plus 80g realm on a driver) and up one flex to see what that does for me. I also stuck the 909D3 head on this shaft, low launch low spin head. I have the Comp NT 65g in my 3 wood and a nice easy swing from the deck and its a solid 250. I also like the way the shaft feels too. It doesnt feel like I have to swing as hard to get the most out the shaft. If it doesn't work well @ Cog Hill this Sunday it will be for sale in a week or two. Only hit it on the range and its hard to tell exaclty what its gonna be like. It feels nice and the ball flight is exactly where I want it but it usually ends up different on the course.

I agree with whoever told you the V2 is stout. It feels like a board.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Are you using the older version of the ProLaunch Red? I've heard good stuff about this shaft and it's only $20 + shipping over at one of the online retailers. Might give it a go and so should you at such a low cost.

« Keith »

Seems like you've got a good idea what you are looking for, although I don't quite understand from the original post what you don't like about your current shaft, aside from the vibration.

What were your launch characteristics with the fujikura rombax shaft that is in the r7 limited now. If you know the launch angle, clubhead speed, ball speed, spin rate, carry and roll distances, we could make some better suggestions and take a bit of guesswork out of the equation.

For what it is worth, my r7 TP still has the Fujikura Rombax REAX TP shaft that came in the club, and I've had many fitters tell me that unless I really want to change my ball flight, then this shaft is one of the better available. I am not sure how great the shaft in the r7 limited was, perhaps you know.

I hit the aldila NV Proto 'By You' when shopping for hybrid shafts, and I really liked it. I ended up with a 95g-x in my hybrid in the NV line due to price, and I'm happy so far. With your swing speed, I'd stay with a stiff shaft, but perhaps move up a bit in weight and down in torque (in general).

Consider a 75 or 80 gram shaft. OEM shafts are often 65g (or less) and high very high torque ratings. You could stay at a stiff shaft, but move up to a 75g and low torque shaft. This will result in a solid and consistent club, but require a bit faster swing to load and unload. The V2 series are a great value in this type of shaft.

Best of luck.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

So I was at Golfsmith this afternoon hitting clubs (do that quite often there and a few of the people that work there know me) and I started talking to one of the guys about thinking about changing the shaft out in my current driver. I currently have a TM R7 Limited TP 10.5* driver with the Rombax Stiff shaft. I love the feel of the driver but think that I'm losing some distance and control from the driver. At times, even on shots on the sweet spot, I feel a vibration through, making me think that I'm not getting the most out of my drives.

Personally I really like the Aldila shafts...I have it in my irons and in my hybrid. I want looking to install it on my driver and ended getting a whole new driver (in sig). I think for the price that you can get one installed today, it's an incredible price for what you get.

Regarding the cutting...I would tip it, as this will make the shaft "stiffer" The one thing that didn't settle with the numbers you posted is that with such a low launch angle and low spin, you are only getting 10-15 yards roll. With your launch angle I would have thought you would get 30 easy. Either that or the carry number is not correct......????
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

The one thing that didn't settle with the numbers you posted is that with such a low launch angle and low spin, you are only getting 10-15 yards roll. With your launch angle I would have thought you would get 30 easy. Either that or the carry number is not correct......????

I'm not sure why the numbers were reading out the way they were and I wasn't getting more than 10-15 yards of roll, but that's what they were reading.

Are you using the older version of the ProLaunch Red? I've heard good stuff about this shaft and it's only $20 + shipping over at one of the online retailers. Might give it a go and so should you at such a low cost.

Not sure actually. Didnt realize there was a new one. But I got mine about a month ago for $30 at my local Golf Galaxy. Definitely a great shaft for the price.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!