IGNORED

Wooden Drivers are just as long as metal ones!

James_Black
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really, the answer is staring you right in the face here.

You committed a fallacy in your assessment, the fallacy of affirming the consequent, and also made a hasty generalization.

Lets look for a second at this one:

This particular persimmon driver is as long than this particular metal one.
Therefore, all persimmon drivers hit it as long as metal ones.

The fallacy is more clear if I use some other examples first.
  • Affirming the consequent
If it rains, the ground gets wet. The ground is wet, therefore it rained.
  • Hasty generalization
Every person I've met speaks English, so it must be true that all people speak English.

OK, so here's what happened. You compared two different clubs with different shafts, lengths, heads, lofts, and weights, and made a broad statement based on that. The reason you hit the new club farther is more likely multi-fold.

First, it had more loft. It could be your current 10° driver has too little loft. Also, the Cobra undoubtedly has a much longer shaft than the persimmon wood, so you likely hit the persimmon wood squarely more often. This will give you more distance. Persimmon 2 woods run about 43", where as modern drivers are around 46". Those 3 inches make a huge difference. As do 2° of loft.

In truth though, the actual science is quite well founded. Persimmon has a COR of roughly .79, while modern metal drivers have a COR of .83. However, some persimmon woods may have more COR, perhaps even more than .83, because no two pieces of wood are the same. So, what you've found is that your driver is not the longest one out there for you, but that's about all.

• 2 years later...

I sometimes use a persimmon, and with the new balls get a much lower ball flight and thus tremendous roll. I hit the persimmon a few yards shorter, but am much more consistant and rarely mishit it. I think the weight of the head gives you a greater sense of what your doing. I never hit the sometimes insane, high fade with the wooden club like I do with titanium.

• 1 year later...

All depends on the ball being the same, the loft being the same, the shaft being fitted for your swing and the grip on the club fitting your hands. If all is equal, and you can swing the club properly you'll have just as good results with the persimmon as with the metal. Remember having it fitted to you is paramount. Anyone can pick up a golf club and duff it. You have to be properly fitted to convert the horsepower from your body to the transmission that is your shaft and release it to the ball with the greatest COR.

I have a wooden Ping Eye 2 wood, that when I was at my best, was shorter than my 3 metal wood. It was more accurate, but still shorter. Now that my swing speed has dropped off, I can hit that Ping club just about as far as my 3 metal wood. Both have metal shafts.

I have always believed that Ping Eye 2 Wood (1983?) was one of the best forgiving clubs every made. I still have mine, and sometimes still use it just for kicks.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know where they got the statistic that wooden clubs are 50 yards shorter than the metal ones. I was playing today and I hit two 250m (275 yards) drives. Most of my drives are 240m with my cobra. The only problem is forgiveness, if you don't hit the centre you'll hit shorter shots. Driving distances haven't really improved over the years by much.

Back in the era of wooden drivers, it was the ball that often shortened the distance compared to today, also the machinery cutting, grass length, landing areas, irrigation, drainage all play a role in the driving distance today compared to the < 1960s Just one look at the old footage of balls being putt or rolling on the green during a. Chanpionship tourney will show you the difference.

Back in the era of wooden drivers, it was the ball that often shortened the distance compared to today, also the machinery cutting, grass length, landing areas, irrigation, drainage all play a role in the driving distance today compared to the < 1960s

Just one look at the old footage of balls being putt or rolling on the green during a. Chanpionship tourney will show you the

These guys did a comparison with the same balls.

http://www.milesofgolf.com/blog/golf-clubs/vintage-vs-technology/

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

One element that is missing is the balata balls used for testing now are all very old and have lost some of their performance. It's too bad titleist couldn't manufacture some new balatas to get some real accurate results.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

One element that is missing is the balata balls used for testing now are all very old and have lost some of their performance. It's too bad titleist couldn't manufacture some new balatas to get some real accurate results.

I have a few 100 balata balls, but they blister sometimes. Probably just old. When I hit righty, I used some old persimmon the previous owner left in my garage. Haven't touched them in 2 years.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!