IGNORED

Ball Mark Repair Thread

john granger
Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I hate rakes in the bunkers!!  Drives me nuts...

I agree! Only twice have I ever had a ball come to rest against a rake. Once the rake was outside, kept my ball from going in the bunker. The second, the rake was in the bunker and trapped my ball against the lip making my lie that much worse. I would much rather have the rake outside the bunker

Speaking of bunker rakes.

When I enter the bunker, I first grab the rake, walk to my ball, then set the rake down. Take my shot, then quickly pick up the rake that is next to me.

That way I don't have to walk out of the bunker, and back in to rake.

It speeds things up quite a bit.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by reedf

I agree! Only twice have I ever had a ball come to rest against a rake. Once the rake was outside, kept my ball from going in the bunker. The second, the rake was in the bunker and trapped my ball against the lip making my lie that much worse. I would much rather have the rake outside the bunker

YES....that is a definite factor!

Plus...I don't like grabbing wet sandy rakes from the bunkers.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Motley01

Speaking of bunker rakes.

When I enter the bunker, I first grab the rake, walk to my ball, then set the rake down. Take my shot, then quickly pick up the rake that is next to me.

That way I don't have to walk out of the bunker, and back in to rake.

It speeds things up quite a bit.

i did that in a tourney one time, and some a-hole said that counts as grounding the club and i should be penalized.   i was right, its not a penalty, but it was a real downer on the rest of the match.   one reason why i'm not a fan of tournaments.. between the wanna-be rules nazi's and over-confident douchebags, our tourney's are much fun.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I repair my own and any that are near me on the green. I don't walk the entire green fixing marks but I will fix a few besides my own on every green I stand on. It's a problem, a big problem. The only courses that I frequent that don't suffer from this are private. The par 3's on the public courses I play are very bad.

My grandfather took me to his home course when I first got interested in playing.  I didn't repair my ball mark (since I was new I didn't know golf course etiquite) and my grandfather showed me how to repair the mark and told me that every time I fix my own mark, find two more and repair those as well.  I have done that ever since and like you Dave2512, I will repair a few more that may be around me or in my line.

I spent part of my day repair marks again. Since this is a resort town I get to fix a ton of marks. I personally think the rake should be in the trap. You hit a shot and land in the trap, it is a bad shot and the rake is part of the consequences.

Speaking of consequences this is what I got to today on my course.

2012-07-11 17.12.21.jpg

It's like a blind man was raking it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing worse than hitting a nice shot from over 180 yards and sticking the green only to walk up and not being able to find your mark, even though you know there's one there. I'll still repair some others to pay my dues, but it just doesn't quite feel the same when it's not your own .

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

i did that in a tourney one time, and some a-hole said that counts as grounding the club and i should be penalized.   i was right, its not a penalty, but it was a real downer on the rest of the match.   one reason why i'm not a fan of tournaments.. between the wanna-be rules nazi's and over-confident douchebags, our tourney's are much fun.

The a-hole was 100% wrong. Jeez, is it too hard to actually read the rules?                                                                                            /

And personally, thank you for raking.

There's nothing worse than having to hit out of some idiot's footprints!

I do junior golf camps all summer and one of the things we go over is etiquette and the proper way to fix a ball mark. I don't know if any of it sticks but I hope it does. The rule of thumb we tell the kids is also what I go by, fix your own ball mark and at least two others on every green. I personally get bored standing around waiting for people to read their putts and all so I will fix 7-8 a green sometimes if I am playing with a more deliberate player. I personally believe in golf karma, if I take care of the course to the best of my ability and I leave it better than before, maybe that extra putt might drop instead of lipping out.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone who leaves a rake in the bunker should be forced to listen to this song on endless replay on their I-pod for the entire 18 holes...............

fer'sure....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

What annoys me at my course is the amount of people I see (and the majority I have to say are seniors) 'repairing' their pitchmarks by tapping the crater smooth with their putters.

This pales in comparison to the divot and bunker etiquette, or lack of. There's little worse than hitting a cracking drive up the fairway to see your ball has dropped into a massive divot that some oaf couldn't be bothered to repair. Ditto for when your ball finds a bunker and you've got to play out from someone's deep footprint, as if bunker shots weren't hard enough!!

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Anyone who leaves a rake in the bunker should be forced to listen to this song on endless replay on their I-pod for the entire 18 holes...............

fer'sure....LOL

Just looking at that face and the first 2 words in that Mariah Carey pitch should be enough for anyone to start leaving rakes outside the bunker! haha

Originally Posted by Spyder

Just looking at that face and the first 2 words in that Mariah Carey pitch should be enough for anyone to start leaving rakes outside the bunker! haha

That ukulele solo was rockin'!  Actually, I didn't listen to it and I feel better for it.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Am I the only one that gets secret satisfaction repairing a ball mark to perfection....Wth is wrong with me......stoopid ocd.

Nah.  I'll use my portable agronomy kit to get it just right....as long as I don't hold up the pace of play.  Maybe even do an extra mark or two left by a-holes who couldn't be bothered.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

• 7 months later...

Can someone just clarify for me, on the lakeviewcc site, it says 'push' the turf inwards.

Rather than pushing the divot tool into the turf, then levering the top of the tool inwards, which I used to do, it actually means to push the tool in, hold the tool vertically (or near enough to) and push the tool horizontally/sideways while holding it on that same vertical plane?

The former would create an angled hole in the turf behind the legs of the tool.

The latter would be a more vertical hole in the turf behind the legs of the tool.

I'm thinking that a couple of nails side by side would make a good tool.

Your help appreciated.

Just had a thought, I'm just confused with usingt he wording 'push the turf'.

I'm thinking it means firmly hold the tool vertically in the turf, and drag the tool and turf across/towards the ball mark, but I just need this confirmed.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I was out playing an away course this weekend and I had a putt whose line was going right through a ball mark.  The ball mark had been repaired incorrectly weeks ago (it looked like) and as a result was now a brown half-dollar sized "pothole" in the green.

I made a comment to my partner that my line was right through the ball mark.  A member of the course that we were paired with noted that I could just use a tee and "lift it up" to even out the ground.  I told him that "lifting" would break the roots again and result in an even bigger dead spot.  I said that "lifting" and breaking the roots is the incorrect way to repair a ball mark.  He said otherwise (and began in on a bit of gamesmanship which only made me play better).

Any thoughts?  I am really tired of seeing dead spots all over the greens I play.  Why are we focusing on "tee it forward" instead of "don't uproot the ****ing green"?

Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!