IGNORED

Will This Ruin My Titleists

fishit
Note: This thread is 6412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently bought a set of the chrome 735's. On the titleist website it says you can custumize the lie +/-2 degrees. I have already had them set at 2 degrees upright and am noticing that I am still contacting the turf a little too close to the toe. What will happen if I adjust them one more degree upright (+3)?

Is that a picture of John Karr you're using as your avatar?

If so, what would possess you to use the photograph of a possible child molester/murderer for a golf website? Seems inappropriate to me, but then again, I'm a parent and a normal human being.

As for your irons, most manufacturers will not warrantly any club bending that happens outside the factory doors but say +/- 2 degrees can be safely accomplished. The fact that you're not only going past 2, but have also had them bent previously would lead me to believe there's the chance of damaging the clubs to the point of breaking them, chrome or no chrome. If you're going to have this done I'd suggest sending them back to Titleist although they may not do this for you seeing as they've already been bent.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Thanks for the feedback about the clubs. Sounds like I'm out of luck. I made a cucial mistake of asuming that my club configuration from one manufacturer would be the same for these new titleists. This may be a very expensive lesson.

• Administrator
Thanks for the feedback about the clubs. Sounds like I'm out of luck. I made a cucial mistake of asuming that my club configuration from one manufacturer would be the same for these new titleists. This may be a very expensive lesson.

Did you even read what he said? He said you're safe to do it.

Titleist - even more so than most other club manufacturers - recommends you get fit properly prior to buying clubs. Your avatar has been removed. Find something more appropriate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you even read what he said? He said you're safe to do it.

I did read the post, then I re-read it. I still dont see anything in the post that suggest that I am safe to bend it another degree upright.

It apprears that he suggests that bending them further could possibly break them. I want to avoid that. It never ceases to amaze me how much hostility questions about golf equiptment are often met with. Thanks for the feedback.

It never ceases to amaze me how much hostility questions about golf equiptment are often met with.

My guess would be that the hostility you're referring to has nothing to do with golf equipment and everything to do with your initial avatar.

Thanks to the admin team for the fix on that BTW
In My Bag:

Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

The person on my initial avatar happens to be an excellent golfer. His personal life is none of my business.

Note the current avatar: Nothing engenders more peace and harmony than a monkey riding on the back of a dog.

• Administrator
The person on my initial avatar happens to be an excellent golfer. His personal life is none of my business.

Nor is it the business of anyone else's on the forum - yet you made it such when you chose him, in poor taste, as your avatar. Don't be naive.

I did read the post, then I re-read it. I still dont see anything in the post that suggest that I am safe to bend it another degree upright.

Bending them +/- 2 from the factory is allowable. Rarely do you need to go to 3 or 4 degrees, though - I'd look at your swing or the shaft length next. And, again, you should have been fit to begin with.

To re-state: you should be able to go another 2 to 3 degrees from the factory setting. So if you got them from Titleist +2, you can go 2-3 more from there, I believe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

The problem is, I did not have them adjusted at the factory. I purchased them standard lenght and lie. I had a shop put 1/2 inch extensions in them and had them adjust them 2 degrees upright.

You make a good point, if I am looking to adjust them 3 or 4 degrees then there probably needs to be some adjustments with my swing rather than my clubs.

Thanks

How tall are you fishit? If you are say 6-6 or so, I can see needing +3/4 upright specs and it not being a swing path issue.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

How tall are you fishit? If you are say 6-6 or so, I can see needing +3/4 upright specs and it not being a swing path issue.

well with a index of 8.something I would assume his swing is pretty good..

I have bent titleist a 2nd time for the same reason.. That is why I measure the person to get the length and then I use a lie mat to get that dialed in.. I fitted a customer with a set of irons, he was 6 foot 1 with his wrist to floor being 36 inchs.. I had to bend his irons over 3° up.. He had the most upright swing I had ever seem.. oh by the way his handi was +1,3 ugly swing but it worked for him..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I think it's safe to go 3 to 4 degrees upright. I had my DCI 962s bent 4 degrees up about six years ago and they're in great shape still.

and BTW, I'm 6'2 and my swing isn't ugly whatsoever....some people have upright swings...look at Monty, wonder what his clubs are bent to?

Just to give my input on this subject, Bending a club is easy to do and forged clubs will bend far. I have personally bent some 10 degs (for Fun). It is recommended that now more then 4 max should be done. Also every 1/2 inch above standard you go, that adds 1 deg upright to the head and vice versa.

I recently bought a set of the chrome 735's. On the titleist website it says you can custumize the lie +/-2 degrees. I have already had them set at 2 degrees upright and am noticing that I am still contacting the turf a little too close to the toe. What will happen if I adjust them one more degree upright (+3)?

fishit,

I guess it's time to break my frustration driven silence and hopefully clear up a bit of the misconception here. Titleist reccomends not bending the chrome 735.CM set more than 2 degrees due to fear of spidering on the chrome finish (which can lead to bubbling over time). There is no possibility of metal fatigue due to normal bending with the 1025 carbon steel used in the 735. They are even more adamant about this on the 735's because of the ready availability of a stainless set which can be bent without fear of harming the finish. I've taken a set of chrome 735's three degrees flat before without issue. If your clubmaker is good and careful you should have no problem. Just find someone who is careful and has good quality bending bars, and loft lie instrumentation.

Golf is a Gentlemen's Game. I have always been told that by my coaches and I beleive it to the fullest. It is a shame that too many people don't treat the game that way.

For the issue of bending clubs, I am an engineering student and I can tell you that certain metals and alloys break when they are applied to certain amounts of stress especially after they have been weakened. Be careful about altering the metals/chrome alloys.

Golf is a Gentlemen's Game. I have always been told that by my coaches and I beleive it to the fullest. It is a shame that too many people don't treat the game that way.

I'm thrilled to hear this, although I'm not completely sure that it adds value to a conversation about whether or not irons can be bent, or how far for that matter. If you're referring to the initial conversations related to avatars, please understand that you may or may not be aware of exactly

how inappropriate his selection was. All that being said, thank you for your input and welcome to the boards.
In My Bag:

Yes you will continue to hit the ball closer to the toe. Creating a ball flight further right. You might want to think about going a little bit flatter.

Note: This thread is 6412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!