IGNORED

A.J. Bonar's Secret

Carland
Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...
I have to disagree with most of you guys. Maybe because I'm a higher handicap golfer. I have a very bad back that limits my turn and A.J. Bonar's method has allowed me to play golf again. I now am able to use a more lattereal motion keeping my back to the target as long as possible and am getting great results with an aggressive forearm rotation. I do have a draw and can hook from time to time but all in all I am finally improving. I guess it boils down to what is righ t for each of us.

• Administrator
what's with the resurrecting of old threads lately? Not that they're all bad (like this one), but just curious.

Better than starting new threads. Let's keep things that way.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The latest edition of Golf Magazine has an article concerning A.J. Bonar's "secret" to better golf. The gist is that the toe of the clubhead must rotate through impact faster than the heel. To accomplish this, A.J. states that the toe of the clubhead should be pointing towards the target within 3 feet after impact. So you have to focus on rotating your hands and the clubhead through impact.

If i tried that I would get a duck hook for the ages.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

• 1 year later...
Has anyone watched this DVD and does anyone suggest it? I think it's by Aj Bonar. Anyone with some ideas.
Driver: DIABLO EDGE
Hybrid: 5DX
Irons: X-22 Irons 4-PW
Wedge: X-22 51* AW, CG15 54*/58*
Putter: Method 001Ball: Penta TP

Lol ok. Have you watched the DVD?

Lol ok. Have you watched the DVD?

I saw a small clip online somewhere.

His basic premise is that the clubhead is like a baseball bat. If you're pushing/fading/slicing the ball, he wants you to turn your wrists over more in the impact zone. If you're pulling/hooking/drawing, he wants you to turn them over less in the impact zone. I'd love to see anyone have day to day consistency with that.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I saw a small clip online somewhere.

Wow weird concept! How can you time that correctly everytime.....anyone else with some input on the dvd?

• Administrator
Wow weird concept! How can you time that correctly everytime.....anyone else with some input on the dvd?

Merged this thread.

• 2 years later...

I find Bonar's method works fine. I would call it creating lag or, flash speed. The key is not to consciously "turn the screw driver" or roll the wrists. They do this on their own, not something you have to do. I open up wide on back swing just like he says and feel like I'm hammering the ball with the heel of my right hand or, if I had a hammer, I'm hammering the spike shown in his dvds with my right hand. Be sure you are hitting down when you do this. The club sizzles through the ball regardless, fairway, rough, off a tee or what ever. The club actually squares itself up through the ball and closes on its own on the follow through. Don't hold onto the hammering sensation, just let the club release on its own. You will feel like it's coming into the ball wide open but it closes just right. The problem with golf instruction is it's like trying to describe how to walk. Or describe what "wet" is.

• 3 months later...

I really don't get why every body seems to love to hate A J Bonar. Maybe it 's because of those first videos that were long and expensive - and he probably made a lot of money from them. Though he called it a secret - so did Ben Hogan. He clearly says in all his writings and both his old and new videos - that all great golfers release in the manner that he describes. He did some research using videos of various great golfers (I believe when he was working with TaylorMade) and found tremendous rotation just before and after contact in all of their releases. I have heard Johnny Miller and Fred Couples talk about the concept. A J says the technique is as old as golf. He doesn't pretend to have invented the technique.

Originally Posted by wxmeister

I really don't get why every body seems to love to hate A J Bonar. Maybe it 's because of those first videos that were long and expensive - and he probably made a lot of money from them. Though he called it a secret - so did Ben Hogan. He clearly says in all his writings and both his old and new videos - that all great golfers release in the manner that he describes. He did some research using videos of various great golfers (I believe when he was working with TaylorMade) and found tremendous rotation just before and after contact in all of their releases. I have heard Johnny Miller and Fred Couples talk about the concept. A J says the technique is as old as golf. He doesn't pretend to have invented the technique.

Thing with what he teaches is that he shows how to roll the wrist through impact depending on the type of shot you are hitting which is not a good thing.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

• Administrator
Originally Posted by wxmeister

The problem is just as you say: every golfer does it... including poor golfers.

They already do this motion (oftentimes too much). It's not a secret, and doing it more will usually result in bigger pulls and slices as well as more fat and thin shots.

• 5 months later...

It is a very good swing theory for seniors and those with physical handicaps.It teaches you timing and the art of compression in which you should see dollar bill divots if done correctly.It gives you immediate feedback on golf shot in which you should be able to correct yourself.I used to play to 15 and this swing theory just clicked for me.My handicap would be lower but I struggle with putting.My handicap is currently 9.2

It is a very good swing theory for seniors and those with physical handicaps.It teaches you timing and the art of compression in which you should see dollar bill divots if done correctly.It gives you immediate feedback on golf shot in which you should be able to correct yourself.I used to play to 15 and this swing theory just clicked for me.My handicap would be lower but I struggle with putting.My handicap is currently 9.2

Yes, and Ponzi schemes are a great financial investment strategy for seniors and people with physical handicaps.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 month later...

Let's put it this way. In Hardy's The Plane Truth he says the arms rotate clockwise on the backswing and the back of your right hand at the top feels like it is facing away from the target. (Palm facing the target?) On the downswing your left arm, (therefore the right arm) rotate counter clockwise (turn the door knob, turn the screw driver?) Sound familiar folks? The difference is Hardy doesn't take hours of video to get this across to you. If you prefer what I guess is an effort at entertainment value, Bonar tells you the same thing.  IMO Bonar's off a little on the downswing rotation. I found it doesn't matter whether your rotate clockwise or counter clockwise your club squares up on the downswing as your hands pass your right thigh automatically. Try it in slow motion.

Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!