IGNORED

Vokey vs. Everything else

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently own a set of Callaway Jaws Vintage wedges 52-56-60 and a forged vintage PW 48. It seems from reading on here that the majority like/love the Vokey's wedges. I was wondering why that is. I've never used them before but I have a friend who is selling his and would sell them to me dirt cheap but I was just wondering what the love for them is all about?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Most of it has to do with brand loyalty.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

I currently own a set of Callaway Jaws Vintage wedges 52-56-60 and a forged vintage PW 48. It seems from reading on here that the majority like/love the Vokey's wedges. I was wondering why that is. I've never used them before but I have a friend who is selling his and would sell them to me dirt cheap but I was just wondering what the love for them is all about?

Some people consider used Vokeys worn out. Personally, I might consider them broken in. I have one in my set of Ben Hogan PCs to replace the E (PW). Once the spin milling lines wore off, I was more confident hitting it with a full swing. Pros: Spin Milled face jacks up spin, long shaft allow for flexibility - distance control, classic head shape Cons: Spin Milled face (I couldn't wear that s*** off fast enough), oil can finish make alignment difficult in low light (early morning and twilight) Obviously I was never a fan of the spin milled face, but do like the simple shape and setup. I still prefer forged wedges though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think it's a matter of what you like. Before buying the Vokey's I used the Callaway X-Tour and I think they are amazing, my setup was 54 and 58, but I wanted to change it to 52, 56 & 60 and I give a try to the Vokey's. I like them, a lot, I've tried the Callaway Jaws and they are nice too. So it's really simple, used what you like and feel comfortable.

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I have two Vokeys and I hit them well. I played Cleveland 588s forever before switching and would have no problem playing a Cleveland product in the future.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I see Vokey's as having a similar following to as Scotty Camerons.

Alot of my friends who are devoted Vokey fans would never get another wedge. It's just what theyve been using for years and what they're comfortable with.

Myself, I've been a Cleveland user for years and years now. the 588's have been my main wedge until recently, my CG15 and the Callaway X-Tour (super cheap deal). I do have my beat up 588's still but for now, the CG15 and Callaway are playing very well for me.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Back in the day, the 588s were the deal. It really put Cleveland Golf on the map.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Try all of them that you can. There are so many that are amazing in quality. Vokey has a great deal of marketing muscle.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

Vokey offers a lot of variety for those who need it - or want it.
• Six sole grind options
• Two groove designs
• Three non-glare finishes
• Spin-milled versions feature 17 different loft/bounce combinations
• Occasional specialty editions, like the TVD 60-L Tour Issue QPQ (a special finish)

Check out the web site: http://www.vokey.com/wedges/default.aspx

My plan for wedges is to hit them square, or maybe a couple of degrees opened or closed at most. No magic tricks like some guys can hit. Even if I were a better player, I doubt I could get much extra out of Vokeys.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vokeys are very well known.
I prefer them to the PING wedges, I'd say the clevelands are very similar to the vokeys.

Has anybody tried Scratch wedges? What are they like compared to the vokeys?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Vokeys are just very very well known... They do preform a little bit better then most though.
Other wedges that I would rate very highly. Cleveland wedges(anything except for there horrible cavity back one. Cg14 I think) and the scratch golf wedges. All 3 of those I belive are the top wedges in golf by quite a long way!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I've played a bunch of wedges. Are vokeys that much better?? If you have wedges you like then why change? I like the way vokeys feel a bit more than the x forged I have but honestly they seem pretty equal. I'd say the x-forged has a bit more spin.

Brian

Wedges are wedges. Seriously, compare a few sometime. My wedge game has not changed appreciably since I upgraded from $5 bargain bin wedges to my Vokey or MacGregor. The shots I take are no different with a Vokey or an Adams.

Vokey wedges are good and marketed heavily. I preferred the older models. The newer models have a different "feel" for me. So I'm either Reid Lockhart or Eidolon.

Wedges are like putters---personal preference

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I absolutely love my Mizuno MP-T wedges. I am lethal with them. From 110 yards in, I am almost always one putting.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I recently switched from a Cleveland 588 RTG's to a Vokey's and personally I think the difference in feel is appreciable. I don't know if it's the cut or the metal or the manufacturing process but the Vokey feels like butter to me.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Don't like them, I have three, 52, 56, 60. The heel digs in with my 52.08 (despite flattening), no problems with the 56.11, the 60.07 has way too much bounce, when you try to open the face the leading edge sits too high, not enough sole relief, you only really use the front half of the bounce so why keep it going through the whole sole?

I'm left handed and have limited options, I'm going to get rid of them and buy 3 mizuno wedges, much more versatile sole, the MP-10 60.08 has more bounce but is more versatile and much better when opening the face on tight lies. Beautifull soft feel as well, bought my vokey's just before the MP-10 came out, wish I didn't.

Previously had Cleveland 588s, the 53* was a horrible feeling club, rock hard. The rust 60* on the other hand was a great club

I've always just used the PW's and SW's that came with my prior sets of clubs. Years ago I did try a 56deg Founders Club but would always blade it. So I had a major fear of lofted clubs. This year I decided to try and take golf a little more serious and try and improve my game.

So this summer I've added 3 Vokey Oil Can finish wedges (see signature for lofts and bounce).
I can honestly say this is the first time I've played a 60 degree wedge and love it. I could probably count on one hand home many times I've chipped a ball in from about 30 yards out in the last 15 years. In my last 3 times out I've chipped in 2 from about 35 yards out and the last time out on the last hole got within a foot, which is awesome for me.

Not saying the Vokeys are the end all be all, as I might do just as well with another brand, but it's more of a confidence factor for me. I really took a liking to the 60 degree and its my go to club now for everything 60 yds and in. I don't put much spin on the ball so the added loft the 60 deg helps me so my ball doesn't run off the green like it used to when using a PW to chip. Now I just aim about 10-12 ft in front of the pin and let the ball trickle up close.

Another cool thing about the 60 deg is since it's so lofted I can chip around the yard and practice without being at the range or course. When I normally used my pw to chip, if you blade one in the yard.... neighbors watch out.

Still learning the other 2 clubs (the 48 and 54), striking them well but keep pulling them to the left. Need to iron that out.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!