IGNORED

Vokey vs. Everything else

Note: This thread is 5038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Vokeys are just very very well known... They do preform a little bit better then most though.

Hey now! I love my CG14's ;)

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I liked how the jaws wedges felt when I swung them. They are nice ones. It really depends on how much weight you like your wedge to have. From what I remember the jaws ones are lighter than the vokeys.

Vokeys are just very very well known... They do preform a little bit better then most though.

By a long way? That is just silly talk. Bob Vokey doesn't design wedges any better at Titleist than Roger Cleveland designs them at Callaway. A wedge is a wedge.

A wedge is a wedge.

But a good cigar is a smoke.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By a long way? That is just silly talk. Bob Vokey doesn't design wedges any better at Titleist than Roger Cleveland designs them at Callaway. A wedge is a wedge.

Add Callaway to the list...forgot that the force behind the 588 went to Cally.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I recently purchased the 60 & 56 degree Callaway JAWS wedges and I absolutely love them. I've had Vokey wedges in the past and these Callaway are every bit as good as the Vokey wedges that I've been playing. I'll most likely be ordering a 52 degree one as well, they are not cheap but very much worth it.
In the Bag:

Driver: FT 9 Tour 10*
3-Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*
Irons: MP-68 3-PW Project X 6.5Wedges: JAWS 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: White Ice #9Ball: ProV1x

I love my Vokey SW. It has been one of the best additions to my bag in a while. It feels solid to me and I am fairly confident with it. However, my "newer" Ping G10 9* driver might trump it though.

Add Callaway to the list...forgot that the force behind the 588 went to Cally.

Thread detour: Considering Roger Cleveland started out making essentially reprodutions of classic clubs (clones perhaps - what?) and tended to make very simple designs, do you think he ever vomits looking at some of the abominations the Cleveland company churned out over the years? I play TA1 irons, use a Classic 2 putter (it's actually in the wife's bag now), Launcher 3-wood, and occasionally Classic persimmons, but Vas? Hibore irons? Oh no!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Vokeys are very well known.

I recently switched my 58* wedge out from a Vokey TVD58 to a Scratch 1018 w/ EGG grind. Both have somwhat of a similar grind with the Scratch having a bit more bounce. Between the two, I'd take the Scratch any day over the Vokey. It has a smooth, buttery feel to it whereas the Vokey had more of a thud/dead feel to it. The Scratch also seems to spin just as well as the Vokey without shredding the covers off my golf balls.

While I'm not sure which wedge is best, it seems to me that it really boils down to confidence....how do you feel about the equipment that you use? If you can answer that for you, then you can find the right wedge/ball/driver/iron/etc.... What ever makes you confident that you will get a good result, then that product will.

The other thing that is very salient in the thread is that most people always reference Vokey in a statement such as.." just as good as Vokey...", " ...similar to Vokey" and so on. Which leads me to think that Vokey has laid down the baseline, and is the standard to which other measure themselves. Therefore I have to conclude that, unless Vokey decides to take a nose dive on performance, if you buy a vokey design wedge, you are getting a top of the line product. Will you find better ones sure, but Vokey is the measuring stick! And that my friends, is the reason I buy Vokey Design Wedges!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Of course you also have to realize that Vokeys are not forged, they are cast, which is a less expensive manufacturing process. Whether you can feel the difference or notice a difference in accuracy between forged and cast is up to you, but I just thought I'd state that fact. I've been using forged Cleveland 588 and Mizuno wedges for quite some time, with my preference going to Mizuno. If I am going to be shelling out north of $100 for a wedge, it had better be forged and made in Japan. Just my .02.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Of course you also have to realize that Vokeys are not forged, they are cast, which is a less expensive manufacturing process. Whether you can feel the difference or notice a difference in accuracy between forged and cast is up to you, but I just thought I'd state that fact. I've been using forged Cleveland 588 and Mizuno wedges for quite some time, with my preference going to Mizuno. If I am going to be shelling out north of $100 for a wedge, it had better be forged and made in Japan. Just my .02.

For the money, and if you can find them in mint condition, check out some not too old vintage wedges (MacGregors, Mizuno, and even the Ram Tom Watsons)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There are a lot of advantages to them, the fact that they are "spin milled" means that they generate more spin than most wedges on the market, they also look great, there are a lot of choices of lofts and bounce to suit every golfer and their playing conditions. As I have four vokeys in the bag at the moment I would strongy recommend them to anyone.

Note: This thread is 5038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!