IGNORED

Finding the "Right" Golf Ball for Me

Note:Β This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Up until a few weeks ago I really never paid a ton of attention to what golf ball I played with ... basically whatever was cheapest or what I found during play. Then I began to feel I needed to find a ball to use consistently so I could get more consistent distance, feel, etc.
I did a couple of on-line ball fittings just to get an idea what type of ball to lean toward and I decided to give the Noodle Easy Distance and the Srixon Soft Feel the trial runs.
All I can say is WOW - what a difference! The softer compression balls are absolutely improving my game - both in distance and feel around the green. In fact now I have to be careful when choosing a club so as not to over-shoot my target!
The Srixon jumps off the club face and is a bit longer but it seems to be a bit erratic as far as direction. The Noodle has very similar distance (maybe slightly shorter), and is more consistent in flight, but I'm happy using either.
I encourage everyone to take the time and spend a few extra bucks to buy the right golf ball for your game ... it DOES make a difference ... I am a convert ...

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Β 

The Noodle is a GREAT ball. I can't say that enough. Wish more folks would give it a try, glad it worked out for you

So many golf balls and so little time----Glad you found a match. I play Noodles occasionally. Fine ball. Currently I've got some TM Red LDP that are working for me. Courtesy of LGB.com. Noodles are in the bag when it cools down a bit.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I switched to using new balls as well. For a long time I was using the "experienced" balls; I really noticed a difference when I started using new ones. I like the Srixon as well, along with the Nike soft ball. I have never tried the Noodle but I might have to give it a shot!

PING K15 Driver
Tour Edge 4 Wood
PING K15 7 Wood
PING i15 Hybrid
PING Zing-2 Irons

After reading Golf Digest's 'hot list" issue on golf balls I went out and bought myself a box of Noodle Easy Distance for last weekend's golf vacation in the Ozarks. I agree with Boyder-WOW! They have a really nice soft feel to them and are consistently very easy to control both off the tee and on the green. My only gripe is that I don't get nearly the distance out of them that I get with Titleist Pro V1's but I'm willing to give up a little distance in exchange for the wonderful workability and feel that the Noddle has. I'm going to play a few more rounds with them before I decide whether to make a switch but there's a very good chance this will be my regular ball in the near future.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I like the easy distance, it doesn't scuff as much as other balls.

I like the pro V1's though, I love hitting a low chip that hops and stops.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

i'm a big TP red fan now

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

The primary Ball concern for mid to high handicapp golfers should be ball compression. Choosing the proper one to fit your swing speed. The basic logic is: lower swing speed = use of lower ball compression.

The primary Ball concern for mid to high handicapp golfers should be ball compression. Choosing the proper one to fit your swing speed. The basic logic is: lower swing speed = use of lower ball compression.

15 to 20 yrs ago, when buying ball we had to choose between 80, 90 and 100 compression, today about no company lists the compression .....

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

• Administrator
15 to 20 yrs ago, when buying ball we had to choose between 80, 90 and 100 compression, today about no company lists the compression .....

Exactly. Compression is largely irrelevant - there are a lot of other factors which matter more now.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They don't list the compression because Joe Average doesn't know how it relates to Golf.

Go pick up 10 boxes of differing golf balls, they will all have the same claims. Stable Flight, Greenside Control, Distance, Outstanding Ball Velocity, Duribility, ect... These companys market their products genericaly to Joe Average as that is by far the majority of their customer base.
Exactly. Compression is largely irrelevant.

That statement goes against the Testing Data results of every major/yearly ball study ever conducted !

Give someone with a 110 swing speed a 70 compression ball and see how far it goes in comparission to a 105 compression ball of similar construction. Same for the reverse of this.

That statement goes against the Testing Data results of every major/yearly ball study ever conducted !

the difference will be about 5-10 yards at the most.

i don't notice much of a difference between golf balls.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Find a ball that you like around the green. That's where most golfers can cut the most strokes.

I've played a good share of all the balls out there and there's a negligible distance difference, whether it's a premium ball or a more basic 2-piece.

TW

• Administrator
That statement goes against the Testing Data results of every major/yearly ball study ever conducted!

No it doesn't. Talk to Dean Snell about the TaylorMade TP Red and Black and the LDP versions and the Penta TP. Low compression cores. There's more to a golf ball than "compression" levels.

I've talked to others too - ball engineers, etc. - it's not all about compression.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No it doesn't. Talk to Dean Snell about the TaylorMade TP Red and Black and the LDP versions and the Penta TP. Low compression cores.

There is Core Compression rating and there is overall Ball Compression Ratings. I'm talking about Ball Compression.

Heck, even Srixon Ball Boxes and the Bridgestone Website will designate which of their balls (compressions) are for which swing speed. Golfers with driver swing speeds of 70mph to say 82mph don't need to be using 105 compression balls. Nor do 115 mph swingers need to be using the WStaff 50/50, Zip, or any other low compression ball.... it will balloon on them if they do.

Exactly. Compression is largely irrelevant - there are a lot of

No it doesn't. Talk to Dean Snell about the TaylorMade TP Red and Black and the LDP versions and the Penta TP. Low compression cores. There's

then enlighten us - what IS it all about?

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note:Β This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!