IGNORED

US Womens Open @ Oakmont

kafka01
Note: This thread is 5009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like the girls will have some "fun" on this course.

Par 3 8th 252-225 (if they really set it to 252 most of them wont even reach with a driver)
Par 5 12th 602
Par 4 15th & 18th ~ 440

The rough seems to be very juciy, anybody has an idea about the greens (hard/soft?).

I doubt the USGA will make it too easy for the ladies, when Cabrera clinched the title with 5 over back then. So my guess is, lots of bogey golf coming up this weekend. What´s your opinon on the winning score?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what we do know: when Oakmont hosted the ladies before, in 1992, even par was the winning score. The course was playing as a par 70 then (par will be 71 this year), and the removal of most of the property's trees since then have drastically changed the nature of the course. Only two Women's Opens in the last quarter-century have been won with a score over par.

The difference between the winning scores in the 1994 and 2007 men's Opens was six strokes. Using the same metric, the low 72-hole score for the ladies should be around 286, or 2-over-par.

The big question is whether the new women's number one, Cristie Kerr, can put up a performance anywhere near her effort at the LPGA Championship a couple of weeks ago. She has won this championship once before, and is the last American winner of our national title.

On a side note, two weeks between majors seems a little sudden to me. Then again, the Champions Tour will have two majors on two continents in successive weeks at the end of this month.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Found out that the greens are running around 14 - which seems to be very very very fast for LPGA standards.

On a side note, two weeks between majors seems a little sudden to me.

Thats kind of strange indeed - their schedule looks like swiss cheese - sometimes you wonder if the LPGA still exists, but they cant manage to seperate the majors in a timely fashion...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

Looks like the girls will have some "fun" on this course.

I doubt that they'll set up a par 3 at 252 yards, that'd be the equivalent of setting a men's par 3 at about 275 or more wouldn't it?

Still, even at 225 there'll be a lot of BIG numbers on that par 3.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

They had the same hole setup as a 300y Par 3 in 07 - so go figure.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

I doubt that they'll set up a par 3 at 252 yards, that'd be the equivalent of setting a men's par 3 at about 275 or more wouldn't it?

There used to be a 300+ yards par 3 on a course that hosted a US Open.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

There used to be a 300+ yards par 3 on a course that hosted a US Open.

It was the very hole being discussed, in fact.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I am seeing a +8 for the winner.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Found out that the greens are running around 14 - which seems to be very very very fast for LPGA standards.

I saw that too. Paula Creamer said on twitter that they were stimping at 13.9. I don't think I've ever seen a LPGA event with greens anywhere close to that fast.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

That's garage floor fast...

Oakmont could be the winner as it will be a biaaaatch.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Kay Cockerill thinks there will be some 100's out there and +10 or 12 could win it. Brutal. Can't wait to watch though. I'd love to see Christie play well again and if Wie is on with the driver/irons, she'll be tough. Hitting shorter irons to those greens could be quite an advantage...

Driver - 983K 9.5* w/ YS-6 stiff shaft
3-Wood - 980F 15* w/ Titleist 4375 stiff shaft
5-Wood - 980F 18* w/ Titleist 4375 stiff shaft
Irons - X-20's - 4-PW
Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Putter - Black Series i 1 - Ball - B330rx

Michelle Wie is already out of it - +8 after 8 holes. Chrities performance really was pretty stellar and since she isnt the shortest and a good putter, she might have a good chance.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

Michelle Wie is already out of it - +8 after 8 holes. Chrities performance really was pretty stellar and since she isnt the shortest and a good putter, she might have a good chance.

I almost feel bad for Michelle Wie. The girl was sooo hyped coming out and has been absolutely mediocre as an LPGA player.

As for Oakmont, it sounds like the ladies are playing on a big boy layout. I'm not sure how I feel about that??? Doesn't the LPGA have input into how the course is set up? Are they intentionally trying to embarass their players?

As for Oakmont, it sounds like the ladies are playing on a big boy layout. I'm not sure how I feel about that??? Doesn't the LPGA have input into how the course is set up? Are they intentionally trying to embarass their players?

No they don't. It is all the USGA.

As for Oakmont, it sounds like the ladies are playing on a big boy layout.

First of all, Oakmont as it is setup is not a "big boy" layout. They shortend it, and yes it has difficult rough and fast greens, but hey, we are talking golf here, right? Not pitch&putt;? And maybe if the LPGA would stop playing on those boring 6000y superwide fairways no rough easy setups, more people would watch.

Regarding Michelle Wie, i cant feel sorry for her, just look at her arrogant behavior on the course. She reminds me a bit of Sergio Garcia, just worse, and with this kind of attitude its hard to have success.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

First of all, Oakmont as it is setup is not a "big boy" layout. They shortend it, and yes it has difficult rough and fast greens, but hey, we are talking golf here, right? Not pitch&putt;? And maybe if the LPGA would stop playing on those boring 6000y superwide fairways no rough easy setups, more people would watch.

She reminds me more of Serena Williams - minus all the winning everything in sight of course.

PS. I'm pulling for Angela Stanford and Suzanne Petterson - or one of the other usual suspects on tough courses. Kerr of course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd classify a 252 yard par three and greens running at 14 as "big boy" but that's just me.

Apparently you missed the tournament at Locust Hill where the fairways are about 30 yards wide and the rough is 6 inches deep. I've played there several times, it's BRUTAL if you miss a fairway.

Note: This thread is 5009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!