IGNORED

best golf courses played

Rezgolf
Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

PGA West Stadium Course
PGA West Nicklaus Tournament Course

Those are probaly the only two I've played people have heard of. But my all time favorites are:

Lakeview GC - Piddley UK - Reminds me I'm home
Orton Meadows - Peterborough UK - Just because I learnt to play there
Thorpe Wood - Peterborough UK
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

This is not a course many of you will likely play because it is only open to resort guests of Quail Lodge, Carmel, CA . . . but there is a reason why the courses in Carmel Valley are associated with deluxe accomodations, the Golf Course at Quail Lodge is very high class and provides you with an experience that can't be easily matched. I'd go back there in a minute, it's mostly flat with houses set far back, exudes a quiet charm, and epitomizes the feeling that golf is played in a slightly different world.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

The European Club, Ireland.

Classic links. Absolutely spectacular

Vancouver, BC CANADA

Driver: 905T 9.5 deg
Fairway Woods: 904F 15 & 19 deg.
Hybrid: FLI-HI CLK 21 deg.Irons: MP-60Wedges: Vokey 52/8, SM 56/14 & SM 60/4Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Bag: S64 StaffBall: NXT Tour

2 courses I HIGHLY recomend in San Diego are Steele Canyon and Redhawk in Temucula.Both affordable and great.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Have you ever been to St. George Utah? I would highly reccomend it and Mesqite Nevada. There is probably 20 top notch courses in that area. Entrada, Coral Canyon, Sky Mountain, Green Springs, Wolf Creek, etc....... The list goes on. Plus you can get killer golf packages there. We went down in February 2 years ago and played for 4 days and stayed 3 nights for 385.00.

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

I have been lucky to play at many of the top courses here in Australia, I think I have pretty much played everywhere that I have wanted to over the years.

Without doubt my favourite Aussie course is New South Wales, it stands head and shoulders above the rest although if you ask a Victorian they'll disagree! The only disappointing thing for me about New South Wales is that it has hosted very few big tournaments over the years. It's no fault of the quality or the lack of desire to hold tournaments there, the problem with new South Wales is a shortage of space for spectators. Basically on most holes you have fairways, a narrow bit of heavy rough and then impenetrable scrub, there's just no room to fit people in to watch.

Anyway, here's my list of courses I have played and a few comments on each of them.

GOLF DIGEST'S 100 BEST COURSES OUTSIDE THE U.S.

2. Royal Melbourne G.C. (Composite) Black Rock, Australia
I've never played the composite course but I have played the East & West courses that make up the composite many many times each.

8. New South Wales G.C. Sydney, Australia
I've played at NSW probably about 50 times, I still manage a game there once or twice a year.

13. Kingston Heath G.C. Melbourne, Australia
Played it a couple of times.

32. Royal Adelaide G.C. Adelaide, Australia
Played it ten times in tournaments (missed cut once) and a few more times in practice rounds before the tournaments

35. The National G.C. (Moonah) Cape Schanck, Australia
Played here once in a tournament, my overriding memory is holding the flag for a fellow competitor while he was putting and being able to see nothing but the top of his head due to a huge hump in the green, mind you his put never got within 20 feet!

49. Barnbougle Dunes G. Links Bridport, Tasmania, Australia
Played there once in the middle of last year. I would play there more often if I could but it is in a very remote location and hard to get to. You can't take the family there for a holiday either as there is NOTHING to do except play golf.

66. Metropolitan G.C. Melbourne, Australia
Played there a few times.

68. The Lakes G.C. Sydney, Australia
I've played the lakes probably 20 or 30 times over the years. To be brutally honest it doesn't deserve to be on this list in company with courses like NSW and Royal Melbourne. Lots of people rave about how good it is but it doesn't do it for me. For me the front nine is wonderful and the first hole on the back nine is too, but the rest of the holes on the back nine are way out of character with those on the front.

AUSTRALIAN GOLF DIGEST'S TOP 100

1. ROYAL MELBOURNE VIC – Alister Mackenzie (West Course, 1931) (Composite)
I've never played the composite course but I have played the East & West courses that make up the composite many many times each.

2. NEW SOUTH WALES NSW – Alister Mackenzie (1928)/Eric Apperly (1937 & ’51)
I've played at NSW probably about 50 times, I still manage a game there once or twice a year.

3. KINGSTON HEATH VIC – Dan Soutar (1925)
I've played there a few times many years ago.

5. ROYAL ADELAIDE SA – Herbert Lockett Rymill & C.L. Gardiner (1904)/Alister Mackenzie (1926)
Played it ten times in tournaments (missed cut once) and a few more times in practice rounds befor the tournaments.

6. METROPOLITAN VIC – J.B. MacKenzie (1906)/Dick Wilson (1959)
Played there a few times.

7. BARNBOUGLE DUNES TAS – Tom Doak & Michael Clayton (2004)
Played there once in the middle of last year. I would play there more often if I could but it is in a very remote location and hard to get to. You can't take the family there for a holiday either as there is NOTHING to do except play golf.

9. THE AUSTRALIAN NSW – Jack Nicklaus (1976)
I have played there lots of times. When I was going through the Australian trainee pro scheme my boss had done his traineeship at the Australian and knew lots of the old members so could always manage a game there

10. VICTORIA VIC – Oscar Damman & William Meader (1927)
I have played there a few times

11. KOOYONGA SA – Herbert Lockett Rymill (1924)
I have played there a few times

12. ROYAL CANBERRA ACT – James Herd Scott (1945)/John Harris (1962)
Played once.

13. NEWCASTLE NSW – Fred Popplewell Snr (1915)/Eric Apperly (1937)
I have played there about 10 times and it is one of my favourite courses.

14. THE NATIONAL (Old) VIC – Robert Trent Jones Jnr (1988)
Played here once in a tournament, my overriding memory is holding the flag for a fellow competitor while he was putting and being able to see nothing but the top of his head due to a huge hump in the green, mind you his put never got within 20 feet!

17. MOONAH LINKS (Open) VIC – Thomson, Wolveridge & Perrett (2001)
Played there once, it's probably not as bad as everyone tries to make out.

18. THE LAKES NSW – Bruce Devlin & Robert von Hagge (1967)
I have played there lots of times. When I was going through the Australian trainee pro scheme my boss had done his traineeship at the Australian at the same time as the pro at The Lakes so I could always manage to get a game there

22. ROYAL SYDNEY NSW – Carnegie Clark (1913)/Ross Watson (2003)
I have played at Royal Sydney a couple of times.

23. COMMONWEALTH VIC – Sam Bennett (1921)
Played there once

30. TERREY HILLS NSW – Graham Marsh & Ross Watson (1994)
Played there quite a few times, it's nowhere near as good a track as the members will have you believe. They pay big bucks to be members and I think that influences how good they think it is!

33. HUNTINGDALE VIC – Charles H. Alison (1941)/Newton, Grant & Spencer (1998 and ongoing)
Played there once years ago before Jack Newton stuffed it up. I have seen the course since Jack Newton f***ed it up as a spectator at the Australia Masters and the man should be shot.

38. CONCORD NSW – Dan Soutar (1916)/Ross Watson (1998)
Played there 50 or more times. I have known a few of the members for 20 years (Craig Parry is one of them) and I have no problems getting a game.

56. ROYAL HOBART TAS – Vern Morcom (1956)
Played four ronds there once in a tournament and it was cold, very cold. On one hole I swear I saw a bird frozen to death in a tree.

60. ROYAL QUEENSLAND QLD – Carnegie Clark (1920)
Played there once whilst on holidays. It's a pretty typical QLD track...

72. CAMDEN LAKESIDE NSW – Thomson, Wolveridge & Perrett (1993)
Played there a few times. My mother and father-in-law rave about it but I think that is just due to them never playing on any really good courses!

82. NAROOMA NSW – John Spencer (1980)
I've played here a few times. It's now only a couple of hours drive from where I live so I'll play there a bit more often now.

85. BONNIE DOON NSW – Lance Giddings & Eric Apperly (1937)/Ross Watson (1995 and ongoing)
I've played here a few times.

86. CASTLE HILL NSW – Eric Apperly (1951)/Newton, Grant & Spencer (1992)
I've played here 50+ times. I used to be friends with the Lady Captain (she's passed away now) and the course was close to where I lived growing up. Way back in the mists of time I actually did work experience whilst at school for two weeks in the pro shop.

88. MONASH NSW – James Scott (1950)
I have played here quite a few times. The guys I used to play with and I used to call the place "Millions Monash" because that's how many we used to have when we played there. You have never seen faster greens in your life, you'd hit a chip and run after your ball to mark it as soon as it stopped in case it decided to start rolling again and ended up in a bunker. Monash is the site of my one and only career 5 putt. (I have had another 5 putt but that one included 2 panalty strokes!)

97. MOLLYMOOK (Hilltop) NSW – Bill Andriske & Ken Mackay (1977)
I have played here a few times. It's only about an hour drive from where I now live so I'll be playing there more often. I am playing there in about a month in an interclub event.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not the worldly traveler like some here, but here are a few of my favorites (listed in no particular order...except local one's first):

Shaker Run, Lebanon OH (original 18 Lakeside/Woodlands)
TPC Rivers Bend, Mainville, OH
Stonelick Hills, Batavia, OH
Lassing Pointe, Union, KY
Victoria Hills, Deland, FL
TPC Tampa Bay, Lutz, FL
Heritage Bay, Naples, FL (just opened in fall of '06)

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I'll keep my list to my home state of Alabama:

#1 - Shoal Creek CC in Birmingham.
Site of the 1991 PGA and just as beautiful today as it was then. A true southern masterpiece in terms of design and playability. A jem in every sense of the word.

#2 - Birmingham CC (South Course)
Could hold a major championship any day of the year. The grass is so perfect you dont want to take a divot.

#3 - The Pennisula Club Gulf Shores
My favorite of the Gulf Shores resort courses. Looks like Jacksonville or St. Augustine. Water, pines, spanish moss, and some of the best TiffDwarf Bermuda anywhere. And your at the beach!

#4 - RTJ the Shoals in Florence
Yes its a part of thr RTJ trail but until you actually walk out there and play, you have no idea what I am refering to. Stunning visuals to accompany 2 wonderful tracks. #18 on both sides is quite impressive back towards the cliff.

#5 - North River Yacht Club in Tuscaloosa
Always in tournament conditions this short (<7000) but ULTRA demanding course (slope 141) is a jewel tucked in a hickory/pine forest. Best bring your A game and some extra balls.

Hope everybody has a great weekend.

14 Fairways & 18 Greens

Best I played was Golf Club of Texas - San Antonio

I have visited Pebble but the green's fees were a bit outside what an E2/3 can afford! Pebble really is a beautiful place and were I to spend $$ on a vacation I would go back to Monterey and golf around the penninsula - but I want to be in the 80's before I spend it - no sense being frustrated @ 500 bucks a round!

Andrew

Anyone ever played Carswell in Ft. Worth, Texas back before it was made into a public course? It was one of the hardest around - and really pretty in design, even though they didn't take perfect care of it.

Now the city owns it and they "dumbed it down" so it's not as difficult and really not taken care of. It's a shame.
Tiff

The Links at Crowbush Cove for me...

http://www.scoregolf.com/golf-course...x10-12421-001/

This link is a video walk through, very cool:

http://www.worldwidegolfguide.com/hg...ges/hole1.html

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Wolf Creek - Mesquite Nevada easily my number 1.
Alexandria CC - Alexandria MN - my favorite place to play at home.
Sky Mountain - St. Goerge Utah - pictures can't do it justice, see it in person it's worth the trip.
River Oaks - Cold Spring MN - have to mention my home course, right?

I wanted to add a couple I forgot the first time I posted. EagleGlen GC Anchorage AK
Settlers Bay Wasilla Ak
I was stationed there for 5 years and surprisingly enough they have some excellent golf courses.

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

I wanted to add a couple I forgot the first time I posted. EagleGlen GC Anchorage AK

hehe I played EagleGlen in the summer when the salmon had already spawned and were basically floating down the river that runs through the course...definitely something i've never seen before or since, but definitely a great time...coulda sworn I was going to pop up a tee shot and clang it off an F-16 when those were coming in...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!