IGNORED

My Swing (bplewis24)

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also nice job on getting yourself in the mix to make it to Spyglass!  That is sweet.  Looks like you were scrambling your ass off with all those up and downs!  Nice work!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I just watched your swing and it reminds me of Matt Every - how he jumps up on the down swing.  But Matt actually leaves the ground!

Just out of curiosity - what is your club head speed with the driver?  My thought is you could focus on tempo and eliminate some of the issues your having with going far beyond parallel - and it also may help reduce that squat/jump you have going on in the downswing.  And agree with modifying your posture at address.  It should help eliminate the loss of spine tilt mentioned above.

Not sure what my club head speed is as I've never been tested/fitted for anything before.  I'm thinking about going in for a driver fitting next year and getting some of that information.

I have fixed my posture at address I believe, and I'm getting better with the tempo as you mentioned.  I'm trying to use my hips to start the downswing, which has been paying dividends.  I have a camcorder now, so I will try and get some new video up soon.

Also nice job on getting yourself in the mix to make it to Spyglass!  That is sweet.  Looks like you were scrambling your ass off with all those up and downs!  Nice work!!

Thanks man.  It has honestly been about a 2 year quest for my own personal challenge to shoot in the 70s in a tournament setting.  To do that only 2-3 weeks after doing it in a casual round has me so pumped right now.  I know the stats from the round weren't great, but I kept myself around the green a lot.  And even though it was from the whites, this is a very penal course if your tee shots are not accurate, so I was very proud of myself.

The only thing that upset me was hole #8.  I hit my best drive of the day to within about 80 yards of the pin.  Accessible hole location and was thinking birdie.  An old nemesis popped up and I hit a hosel rocket into the woods about 30 yards right of the green.  Embarrassing, and cost me between 2 and 3 strokes.  But other than that, I hit a lot of clutch 6-10 foot putts for par and started hitting my irons very well on the back 9.  Can't wait to get more range work done next week and hopefully engrain the hip action I've been striving for.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread.  I did make it into the Championship, 2-day tournament at Spyglass Hill.  I hear it's a helluva tough track, and the slope is 138 even from the middle tees I believe, so it's going to be tough.  But I plan on shooting well there, regardless.  It's June 25th and 26th.

Also, if I go pay the $50 to get a driver fitting, will I be told my swing speed/launch angle and all that stuff?

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Just wanted to update this thread.  I did make it into the Championship, 2-day tournament at Spyglass Hill.  I hear it's a helluva tough track, and the slope is 138 even from the middle tees I believe, so it's going to be tough.  But I plan on shooting well there, regardless.  It's June 25th and 26th.

Also, if I go pay the $50 to get a driver fitting, will I be told my swing speed/launch angle and all that stuff?

Brandon

First... CONGRATULATIONS!  That is awesome!  I would love to play that course, and it would be even better to play there under tournament conditions and pressure.  I love that feeling that tournament golf provides.  It is seriously an adrenaline rush that I miss deeply and hope to have my game back to where I want it to start entering tournaments again next year (2013).

Regarding the driver fitting... Depends on where you go.  But most big box retailers will do the fitting for free, and give you the basic numbers like swing speed, ball speed and launch angle.  If you're in the Northern California area, you should ask some peeps on this board who to go work with. I know Cool Clubs, The Club Fix, No Bogeys Golf and the fitter I use (Steve Carfano) all vary in prices and equipment, but they're all in Socal.

Personally, I use a fitter that has Trackman as it is renowned as the most accurate doppler radar on the market. And would try to seek someone with Trackman on your fitting.  Also, a fitter who can get you the proper shaft is key IMO.  It's one thing to go buy a new driver... It's entirely another to get a driver with the proper shaft.  And I question whether the shafts you get from the big box guys on the standard retail products are worthy of being gamed - especially when you are working so hard to improve and play your best in a tournament.

I was just looking - Cool Clubs has a fitting facility in San Francisco... I've heard great things about their services and they use Trackman.

http://coolclubs.com/technology.php

They are a top 100 club fitting company in the US according to Golf Digest.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-02/clubfitters-listing-top-100

• Upvote 1

First... CONGRATULATIONS!

I was just looking - Cool Clubs has a fitting facility in San Francisco... I've heard great things about their services and they use Trackman.

http://coolclubs.com/technology.php

They are a top 100 club fitting company in the US according to Golf Digest.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-02/clubfitters-listing-top-100

Thanks for the congrats.  I'm super excited about it and going to the range every day to hammer out some inconsistencies with my current swing.  My last 6 rounds have been 78-77-85-81-87-81.  So I've definitely improved, but my ball striking is still very inconsistent.

You are right about the tournament setting.  It's addictive.  In the qualifying round, my brother was a walking spectator which was cool, and the groups were spaced 10 minutes apart ...which I found somewhat relaxing.  It's nice not having to wait every hole or have people pushing you if you take a bit too long on one hole like during normal rounds.

Also, I just checked the Trackman website, and it appears the only location they have in Sacramento is at the same driving range I go to every day (Haggin Oaks...5 minutes from my apt).  They are also on that top 100 list you linked to.  So I may stop by their first and check out the other place you mentioned later.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Brandon

I would agree there is a ton of good you tube videos out there for "how to improve your golf sing." However, being a golf instructor and golf fitness instructor I would like to note that you can't over estimate the power of one on one coaching.

I think the time will come when one-on-one coaching will help AND be cost effective.  I'm sure someday soon I will hit a wall where I can't improve anymore without some coaching, but there are still a ton of loose parts of my swing that I can correct them by just practicing a lot.

Besides, at the level of golf I'm playing (casual competitions with an association golf club), I don't really think it's that important yet.  I think next year I'd like to compete at a higher level in some NCGA events, but I still have to hit more than 25-30% of greens on a regular basis before I will really commit to that.

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...

So, I lied.  I decided to get some lessons, as I started to feel somewhat stagnant on the driving range.

One of those rare guys with too much athleticism and flexibility.

Your left knee buckles out like that because you are pushing hard with your right leg trying to get over to your left side at impact.  That's all because you got so much over your right leg on your backswing.  I think he's on the right track trying to build stability.  You are doing the right things, just a little too much of the right things.  Try less movement off the ball.  You'll still want to feel some pressure, but the head shouldn't drift right.  The rocking motion feels athletic, no doubt.  There's a middle ground though, where you can feel the rocking internally without moving your center externally.  Try finding that as well.  Should make what he's trying to get you to do easier.  Nice work though.  And nice job popping for the lessons.  My 2¢.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

One of those rare guys with too much athleticism and flexibility.

Try less movement off the ball.

I always thought I may have had too much flexibility for my own good when it comes to golf (I was always the most flexible person on the football/track teams, no matter what level I played), but I wasn't sure if people would know what I meant if I said that on this forum.

Anyway, to your second remark, I think/thought so too, but he is emphasizing me pulling my left shoulder over my right foot because I otherwise "lose my spine angle." (aka my head/spine start tilting towards the target, making secondary axis tilt tougher to attain on the downswing).  So I do make a conscious effort to keep my head still this week at the range, but the only way to do that while still getting my left shoulder over the right foot (or thereabouts) is to really rotate my hips open a lot more.  I can do that, but always felt like that was a no-no before.  So it feels taboo or something.

What do you think?

Also, FWIW, I don't buckle my knee out at all anymore.  All he did was put a barrier in that drill the first time and it stopped almost completely (1:43 of the video).  I make all my swings at the range with a barrier there.  The more critical factors in my swing right now are preventing the flip/keeping shaft lean and rotating my hips (after taking a proper turn).

Teeing off at Spyglass in an hour!  I know my swing isn't quite ready for me to play at my best, but I'm looking to have fun and compete.  Wish me luck

I got my butt kicked.  I miraculously hit the first 2 fairways and greens despite being completely insecure about my swing, but eventually it caught up to me and I fell apart. 2 over through 5 holes, and then like 18 over the rest of the round.  Ouch.

#1 Fairway (After Tee Shot).jpg #2 Green.jpg #3.jpg

Awesome pics!  Sorry to hear that your game faltered.

Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll be able to lean on your swing in future tournament golf.

Half the battle (for me at least) is the mental side and having the confidence in pulling off a shot under tournament conditions and pressure.  And then if something goes astray - being able to pick yourself up - brush yourself off - and get back into the match.  Going back to the wheel house and doing what you do best to complete the round.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I got my butt kicked.  I miraculously hit the first 2 fairways and greens despite being completely insecure about my swing, but eventually it caught up to me and I fell apart. 2 over through 5 holes, and then like 18 over the rest of the round.  Ouch.

Pictures look awesome!

Had a quick read through the thread pretty good to see progression of a swing due to my limited experience. Im also pretty insecure about my swing/golf, petrified of my Driver!! lol

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I see what's wrong with your swing.

Your 20" biceps can't clear your 50" chest.

You do any other sports (curious)?

Or he doesn't have time to practise because he's never out the gym by the looks of things.

Note: This thread is 3557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!