IGNORED

Let's say a golfer could not demo irons, what to choose?

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought it would be interesting to see what irons all of you would pick for these handicap levels:

1. 20 and up
2. 15
3. 10
4. 5 and under

Rule - only one option for each handicap level...and please do not go into how this is not a good method of picking irons, that is not what it is intended for haha.

Ill play along.

1. Some kind of adams hybrid combo
2. X-22 (debated on big bertha 08 but they are like bricks on sticks)
3. AP1
4. MP 68

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Ill play along.

I appreciate it. I thought this could be sort of like our forum's version of the Hot List.

I don't think I could recommend irons based solely on handicap - for me personal preference and ball flight are far more important. Struggle getting the ball in the air? Try some game improvement clubs with a low center of gravity. Hate the way that offset and a thick top line looks at address? Find something that suits your eye or you will be looking for a reason to dump them before you know it.

I, for one, have never struggled getting the ball airborne. From the time I could barely break 130 I hit the ball sky high. I tried hitting some of the more popular super game improvement irons of the time - Big Bertha '04, etc. - they just exacerbated the problem.

The best advice I can offer would be to not settle. Buy clubs that complement your game and suit your eye, not whatever a salesman or some people on the internet tell you is best for a particular handicap.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I don't think I could recommend irons based solely on handicap - for me personal preference and ball flight are far more important. Struggle getting the ball in the air? Try some game improvement clubs with a low center of gravity. Hate the way that offset and a thick top line looks at address? Find something that suits your eye or you will be looking for a reason to dump them before you know it.

no offense...but really? Did you read my post? This is for fun, not for me or anyone else to use as a sole method of deciding on irons.

no offense...but really? Did you read my post? This is for fun, not for me or anyone else to use as a sole method of deciding on irons.

yep, i read where you said this:

I thought it would be interesting to see what irons all of you would pick for these handicap levels: ...

Sorry if I killed the joy of your thread with my post.

Here is a random list of some irons I like that are targeted at the handicaps you listed: 1. Adams A4 2. Titleist 710 AP1 3. Callaway X-22 Tour 4. Titleist 710 AP2
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

1. 20 and up - Callaway X20
2. 15 - Titleist AP1
3. 10 - Callaway X20 Tour
4. 5 and under - Callaway X22 Tour (can keep ball a bit lower if needed)

------
Here's my list. But, you should always hit irons before you buy them. If you're 100 miles away form the nearest Dick's, see if someone who owns club set in question will let you try them out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yep, i read where you said this:

Here's my list. But, you should

Sorry guys, I guess I should have put a different title, so I apologize for the confusion. This is more of a forum version of the Hot List. Thanks for your lists though, good stuff so far.

1. 20 and up - Cleveland Hibore Iron/hybrids.
2. 15 - Titleist AP1
3. 10 - Titleist AP2
4. 5 and under - Titleist Mb's.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

1- G15s for sure

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

20 and up: Ping Eye 2 (can be bought at a very good price and VERY forgiving)
15: Ping G15
10: Callaway X Tour (this is just a guess because I would probably go ahead and get the Mizuno's and be ready for scratch golf)
5 and under: Any good Mizuno MP series iron

And I get this link and love it I am anxious to see what everyone says that has worked through these handicaps. For me it is just what my opinion is because I am still at the 20 and over area but this seems to be a good way to work up in irons.

In My GT Stand Bag

Driver L5V 10.5*
Fairway Wood S2 15*
Hybrid 20* IronwoodIrons Eye 2 BeCu 4-PW (have the 2 and 3)Wedges C3 56* and 60*Putter Zing iWiShoe Air Tour Saddle Ball e7

1: Adams A4

Good list!

Shades9323..... Do you happen to like PING?

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Here's my take:

1.Wilson Staff Di9
2.Callaway Diablo Edge
3.Cobra S2 Forged
4.Nike VR Forged TW Blade

Each set was designed for a certain level of play......

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!