IGNORED

How many of you still carry a 3 iron?

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 14 year-old son wants a 3 iron instead of a hybrid in his next set.

Right now he is carrying a Driver, 4 Wood, 24 degree hybrid and just a 5, 7, 9, W, S and putter in his abbreviated set. He has outgrown these, but had been killing that 5 iron, hitting hit high and straight to the point that I think he might find the 3 extremely useful. His hybrid, on the other hand, is not nearly as accurate.

We are contemplating going with Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood and irons in 3 - L.

Does this make sense? I figure the answer is that if it works for him it makes sense, but I would be interested in any opinions that might help us decide which direction to go here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, i find it more accurate for the fact that it has a steel shaft opposed to a whippier graphite
i havnt tried enoguh hybrids to find one that fits me properly so for now i'm more accurate with a 3 iron

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

The only time I use my 3 iron is off the tee. Much easier to hit off a tee then the ground. I think he should get a hybrid for when he is in the rough, as a long iron is rough can be very rough. So, depending on how he plans to use thew 3 iron, maybe get rid of the 5 wood.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I haven't found too many lies that I can't hit as well or better with a fairway wood as with a 3 iron and although I still carry it occasionally it doesh't get much use. I'm also not a big fan of hybrids, mainly because I can't hit one to save my life. I see no harm in letting your son carry a 3 iron in his bag just to see if it works for him.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

*shrug* i find a propped up ball for a 3 iron shot in the rough is a lot easier.
I can't wrap my head around how a hybrid is easier to hit out of the rough than an iron... shouldnt make a difference really.
I played a scramble tourney last year with some old guys and on the first hole we took one their drives cause we had to take 4 of each or something and it was in the 1st cut and he asked me why i was hitting an iron out of the rough.... i didnt know what to say? its not that hard?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

i carry both a 3 hybrid and a 3 iron. i hit both pretty well. i hit my 3 hybrid about 200-210 and my 3 iron about 190-200. wanted to replace my 3 iron with a 52* wedge but since my ball striking has greatly improved and my distance control has improved as well with my wedges ive decided to keep the 3 iron. so if your son is a pretty good ball striker, due to how hard a 3 iron is to hit for some people, i would consider getting it for him

What I Play:
Titleist 910 D3 9.5* Diamana 'ahina X-stiff  | Titleist 909f2 13.5* x-stiff | Taylormade Rescue 19* steel shaft stiff |
Titleist ZB 3-PW S300 | Titleist BV SM 52-08 58-12  | 34" Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | Penta TP

.We are contemplating going with Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood and irons in 3 - L.

IMO, this is a problem. "We" are contemplating....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

I personally like my 3-iron for shots where I want to keep the ball low (hitting under tree branches or when its windy). I say let him use it if he wants. If you find that he just cant hit the ball, then you can discuss with him how it might not be the best club for him. I say you should at least let him try it for a couple months.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

We means he wants it, but I am paying for it. Hence "we" are contemplating it.

That's what I thought you meant. I love my 3-iron, but I also sometimes carry a 2-iron. There are as many reasons to carry one as there are to carry a hybrid.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Heck, I carry a 2 iron. I couldn't imagine giving up the 3, it's a great club, and you just can't hope to control a hybrid as well, or maybe that's just a mental thing. I have the comfort of steel telephone poles in my long irons compared to wet noodles in hybrids. A tour issue hybrid with a good low torque X shaft may be better, but I don't want to go start trying to find, and then pay for such a setup. My 2 iron was $20, and it works great.

Today one of my best shots of the day was a 3 Iron out of the rough. Whenever I try out a hybrid I couldn't hit them near as straight as I could an iron. Bad ball-strikers might prefer a hybrid but I'm getting better and I like my 3 iron and I'm finding a lot more uses out of it.

I play a 3 iron. I think it all comes down to how much clubhead speed you can generate; if you have enough, you shouldn't have any issues playing a 3 iron but if you can't muster up much of a swing a hybrid will help you get the ball up in the air easier. The only hybrid I have is 15*, and I swap it out with my 3 wood depending on the course I'm playing.

One of the reasons I will never take my 3 iron out of my bag is because I use it for all my punch shots. If I try to punch with my 4 iron, it goes up into the branches of the trees.

I used to carry a 3-iron. My first set was 4-P, and I had a hybrid 3 because I felt that's what I should be using. I didn't much care for that particular club. About a year ago, a friend's 3-hybrid found its way into my bag and I found myself liking it so much I got a matching 4.

That having been said, it sounds as though your son is a great iron player - and I firmly believe that one should play with the 14 clubs that give you the best chance to obtain your objective in a round of golf. Whether it's the feeling of the well-struck shots or a low score, your description says to me he will benefit from the 3-iron.
I do, i find it more accurate for the fact that it has a steel shaft opposed to a whippier graphite

FYI, they do make hybrids with steel shafts. Same with fairway woods. I haven't seen a modern driver with one, though. True temper does make hybrid and fairway wood shafts, though. But if you like your iron, stick with it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was around that age I carried; Driver, 4-wood, 2-PW, SW & Putter. When a 60' LW became somewhat common, I'd carry that as well. Often times, the 4-wood stayed in my locker because I never hit it. If your son is willing to learn how to hit the long irons, by all means, let him! IMHO, it will make him a better golfer in the long run.

A few weeks ago I met some HS golfers at a local driving rage. IIRC, they will both be juniors next year. Anyway, the longest iron either of them carried was a 6-iron! They were amazed that I had a 3-iron in my bag. Even more amazed that I owned both a 1-iron and 2-iron. They couldn't believe that I could the 3-iron as well as I did either, even out of bad lies. Both of these kids were pretty good but neither of them could hit my 3-iron very well. When they did connect they loved that they could keep the ball down compared to their hybrids. After a while I had them both convinced that long irons were not dead yet. In fact, one of them was even checking Ebay on his phone before I left. I may well be from the last generation that can honestly say that I remember a game pre-hybrid... So sad.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I may well be from the last generation that can honestly say that I remember a game pre-hybrid... So sad.

That was also the pre- GW and LW generation.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Have you considered both a hybrid and a 3I and ditching the 5W? I use a hybrid to gap my 3W and 3I. Allows me a little more versatility than a 5W IMO.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I play a 3i and 4i. I've never hit a wood/hybrid in a round and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. My driver is my worst club and I can't imagine myself controlling a wood or hybrid very well. At least with my 3i is pretty guaranteed to go straight.

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!