IGNORED

Let me take this opportunity to express my man crush on Tom Watson

muggs
Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This guy is awesome. I'm not old enough to have been around for this guy in his prime, but I wish I was. Actually, I wish this guy was my dad. Not only does the guy have unreal game for his age, but his attitude and philosophy on live is also pretty unreal.

With the whole fallout from Tiger, I'm happy to see a good guy like Watson at least getting a little media attention and bringing the game itself some positive attention.

It would be great if he can make another run at the Clarrett Jug, but I'm really not holding out much hope. I just hope he's still around on Sunday.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

I figured there was a 75% chance Tiger's name would somehow be mentioned in the first post. People sure do not disappoint. Can't wait to read the next thread about how great somebody we've never met is as a person.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I figured there was a 75% chance Tiger's name would somehow be mentioned in the first post. People sure do not disappoint. Can't wait to read the next thread about how great somebody we've never met is as a person.

Talk about Tom Watson, or don't talk at all, pud. If you can't recognize Watson has a better character than Tiger, it's not my fault. Nothing wrong with pointing that out either. I could go on that Watson represents what was right about an entire era compared to today's PGA if you can't deal with Tiger being called to task for his lack of character.

I'm as big a fan of Tom as anyone, but you've obviously not read or heard about his own divorce and other problems.He was married to the ex-wife of another tour player just over a year after his own divorce, and that woman had only divorced her husband not long prior to the wedding too.Bit suspicious if you ask me, quite likely they were having an affair long before divorcing their respective partners.He's also had issues with alcohol in the past.Now, I'm not trying to belittle him or anything, as I said, I'm a fan.But you know what they say about the one without sin casting the first stone.I thought it was a little rich of him to publicly slate Tiger like that.It's easy to be holier than thou and portray the moral high ground when you have age, personal experience and hindsight on your side.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I'm aware of all of that, and now we see a man who's better for it, and sort of relishing the moment. It's refreshing.

.He was married to the ex-wife of another tour player just over a year after his own divorce, and that woman had only divorced her husband not long prior to the wedding too.Bit suspicious if you ask me, quite likely they were having an affair long before divorcing their respective partners..

That is hilariously bad on your part, tabloid fodder.

I'll raise you Greg Norman.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

I'm aware of all of that, and now we see a man who's better for it, and sort of relishing the moment. It's refreshing.

very true, and I'd be just as happy for Tiger if he did the same.

In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

very true, and I'd be just as happy for Tiger if he did the same.

I tend to agree with you on that, but I still would need to see more of the changes he told us all he was going to make. After The Masters, his interview was all about how poorly he played, and not once did he think to mention the fact that Phil played well. Honestly, I don't want to make this thread about Tiger, we've had enough of those already, but it's fairly obvious the type of person Tiger is.

That said, I really appreciate watching the guy play, so I do hope he can regain his form. I just also hope he changes his attitude.

I tend to agree with you on that, but I still would need to see more of the changes he told us all he was going to make. After The Masters, his interview was all about how poorly he played, and not once did he think to mention the fact that Phil played well. Honestly, I don't want to make this thread about Tiger, we've had enough of those already, but it's fairly obviously the type of person Tiger is.

Why should he have to say how well the other players performed? He played bad, as he mentioned.

Tiger is already behaving better on the course than he did prior to all of this. I don't want Tiger to turn into another Phil as in "Well, I had a couple bad shots out there, but I played pretty good" which is 90% a flat out lie..... Tom Watson is the man also. lol

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Why should he have to say how well the other players performed? He played bad, as he mentioned.

For the sake of having class and good sportsmanship, if nothing else. But it could also go a long way in improving his image. I guess that goes back to my point about a different era. Players used to exhibit more class, to their competitors and the galleries.

That is hilariously bad on your part, tabloid fodder.

Well that's it, isn't it?Half the players on tour have skeletons in the closet, so who's Tom Watson to pick someone out for criticism?He's entitled to his opinion of course, but being no angel himself he probably should have thought twice about it.And to the OP, yes I'm sure Tom is a better man now for all that went on in his past, and there's nothing to say Tiger won't be the same in 30 years.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

3...2...1...hijacked by Tiger's lemmings...

3...2...1...hijacked by Tiger's lemmings...

You're the one that mentioned Tiger in your original post.So now he's not up for discussion?You were obviously trying to make some silly comparison of the two men in pointing out what a 'good guy' Tom is, in the wake of Tiger's troubles.Point is, Watson's not perfect, no one is.And comparing him to Tiger right now is like comparing Santa Claus to Satan, daft and pointless.Dear old Tom should have kept his thoughts to himself on this one given his own past, that's all.

You're the one that mentioned Tiger in your original post.So now he's not up for discussion?You were obviously trying to make some silly comparison of the two men in pointing out what a 'good guy' Tom is, in the wake of Tiger's troubles.Point is, Watson's not perfect, no one is.And comparing him to Tiger right now is like comparing Santa Claus to Satan, daft and pointless.Dear old Tom should have kept his thoughts to himself on this one given his own past, that's all.

If you're reading comprehension level is at or around the 5th grade level, you'll see that my only point was Watson's story is refreshing (and positive) in comparison to the recent media attention Tiger generated this year. Call me crazy, but the PGA probably favors "legendary player, finishing his career with inspired play" to "hoes in different area codes" as their storyline of choice. Could just be me, but I doubt it. I think it was more some people's defensive tendancies as soon as they read Tiger's name associated with anything other than "he's the man" that spun this thread out of control.

I too am a big Watson supporter. I've loved watching what he's done and I think not only is it a testament to his game and his fitness, but the game of golf itself. Great story.

However, in 25, 30 years when Tiger gets a second wind and makes a few cuts at the age of 60 as an older man with more perspective and Charlie on his bag, I bet people will feel the same way about him as people feel about Watson now.

S9-1 10.5 Driver
S9-1 3 Wood
FT Hybrid 18 degree
X-14 Pro Series 3-PW
54.10 and 60.4 wedges Whitehot XG #9 Putter

If you're reading comprehension level is at or around the 5th grade level, you'll see that my only point was Watson's story is refreshing (and positive) in comparison to the recent media attention Tiger generated this year. Call me crazy, but the PGA probably favors "legendary player, finishing his career with inspired play" to "hoes in different area codes" as their storyline of choice. Could just be me, but I doubt it.

And my only point was that Tom Watson isn't the angel everyone seems to think he is.Not saying his behaviour was ever anything like Tiger's obviously, but he has his skeletons for sure.It's nothing to do with being a fan of Tiger or not, it's the fact that now Tiger has turned out to be different than what people thought, people are looking for another Golfer that fits the bill for them. i.e. , a 'good man' like dear old uncle Tom, right?It's just image.He knows how to talk to media, how to charm people.Doesn't make him a better person than Tiger or anyone else on Tour for that matter.

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that the Watson story is much more refreshing and positive for the PGA than the Tiger story was. Which has been my point all along, and was the only reason I made the comparison. Which, at this point, I regret doing, and did as more of an aside than anything else.

If I would have known that one statement would have taken on a life of its own and completely taken away from my man love for Tom Watson...I would have never made it.

If I would have known that one statement would have taken on a life of its own and completely taken away from my man love for Tom Watson...I would have never made it.

By all means, continue with your 'man love'.

Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!