IGNORED

New Iron Set Recommendations

Note: This thread is 5028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have my choices narrowed down to the following:

Nike Ignite II Irons
Adams A3OS Irons

I've been searching around Craigslist, TGS and Rockbottom and found a few deals and am tempted at a few local ads:

$850 for everything below
08 R7 CGB Max HT Driver with matching 3 &5 Wood with movable weight technology Regular Flex Graphite Shaft (Covers Included)
09 Burner Plus 3 & 4 Hybrid Regular Flex Steel Shaft (Covers Included)
09 Burner Plus 5,6,7,8,9,PW Regular Flex Steel Shaft (Covers Included)
09 Burner Plus 56 Degree Sand Wedge and 60 degree Lob Wedge Regular Flex Steel Shaft (Covers Included)
09 Taylormade Rossa Daytona Putter (Cover Included)
08 Bag Boy Revolver Cart Bag with individual sleeves and club locks, the top revolves 360 degrees for easy access and has two outside club holders with locks
New Taylormade Golf Towel
75 2 3/4 inch 5 point no friction tees
Taylormade Movable Weight Technology tool with case

Then found this for $225:
For sale is a very good set of Ping I3 Irons 3-SW green dot. The shafts are Rifle 6.0 Flighted except the SW with is standard cushin Z65. Also, for sale is as Taylor Made R5 type N drive 9.5, very long with headcover.

Then this for $200:
Ping IST K Blue dot

This this for $225:
Ping G5 irons-Green Dot. 4-PW Steel regular shafts(+1/2")+ Stand Bag

Any advice? I'm just a weekend warrior who plays maybe 6 times a year. Wish I could play more, just don't have the time. Looking to spend between $300-$500 only.

If I may make a suggestion, the Callaway Diablo Forged Irons are a thing of beauty. I purchased a Callaway X-22 iron set and then played a round with my best friend who just purchased the Diablo irons. After the front 9 we decided to use each others irons just to see how they feel and we weren't doing to well to begin with. I absolutely fell in love with them so much so that I traded a guy on craigslist my X-22 set straight up for his Diablo Forged iron set.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Thanks for the suggestion but you're talking close to $1000.

$1000 if you buy outright from Callaway. You can certainly buy them off of ebay a lot cheaper then that. I just did a quick check on ebay and saw some sets around $600.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

If you're looking at both Ping green dot and blue dot irons I'm guessing you haven't had a fitting to determine the correct color code for you, and I strongly suggest you have one done. That being said, $225 for the G5's is a pretty good price.

I had a set of i3 o size irons before getting the G2's I have now and I liked them a lot. Are they the i3 o size or i3 blades? The o size is probably better for you considering what you've listed as your handicap. The blades are primarily for lower handicap players. $225 is about the average price for a set of I3 o size irons. The blades tend to run a bit higher.

As for the ISI K's they're pretty decent irons but I've never been particularly crazy about them from an aesthetic point of view. The prices on them as a general rule are a little bit softer than for Eye 2's i3's or any of the G series irons. $225 is not an outstanding price IMHO. I think with a little careful shopping you can find a good set of them for under $200.

Before you do anything else though, get a fitting so you know what your proper color code is.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

$1000 if you buy outright from Callaway. You can certainly buy them off of ebay a lot cheaper then that. I just did a quick check on ebay and saw some sets around $600.

$684 for the cheapest BIN set.

36 is anything but my handicapp. I should probably edit that. Just looking for a decent set to play on the weekends with and don't wnat to spend 60 minutes at my local golf galaxy listening to the sales folks try and convince me to spend more than I want to.

If green dot +.5" will fit you, definately go with the Ping G5's.

+1 I agree, if these fit you then I would buy these. You may want to look at edwinwattsgolf.com. They have a large section of used clubs.

In myM9 bag
09 Burner 10.5* Stiff flex
Burner 19* 3 hybrid (Stiff Flex)
Burner 22* 4 hybrid (Stiff Flex)
G10 irons 4-PW(white dot) steel shaft (Stiff Flex)Oil can 52* wedge Spin milled 56* & 60* wedgesHalf Craz- E B belly putter SG 3.5golf balls

Note: This thread is 5028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!