IGNORED

Why are there grooves on drivers?

Note:Β This thread is 5026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Why are there grooves on the outer parts of a driver?

If your hitting it off the toe/heel why do you need more spin?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
Why are there grooves on the outer parts of a driver?

Decoration. Alignment.

Grooves don't give you more spin, particularly for a ball that's sitting on a tee and - one assumes - not wet.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Decoration. Alignment.

why are there grooves on other golf clubs?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

To promote better ball/surface contact by channeling out debris such as grass, dirt, water, etc.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

Drivers have grooves because they might look too different if they didn't. Golfers might think the manufacturer "cut corners" on design.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Originally they were there on metalwoods to strengthen the face. On wooden woods the insert was smooth and flat and it was a way to keep crud away from the ball and perhaps to manage weight and shape.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I suppose the grooves help if you can hit your driver off the fairway or from the rough. Off the tee---the grooves are nothing but decoration.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2Β  AD333

Some drivers don't have grooves in the middle of the face, where you normally strike the ball. I doubt the grooves do anything when hitting it off the deck. Who hits the driver from the rough? Decoration and alignment sounds like the most reasonable to me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally they were there on metalwoods to strengthen the face. On wooden woods the insert was smooth and flat and it was a way to keep crud away from the ball and perhaps to manage weight and shape.

Wooden woods had grooves.

Wooden woods had grooves.

yeah, my ones do anyway.

Some drivers don't have grooves in the middle of the face, where you normally strike the ball. I doubt the grooves do anything when hitting it off the deck. Who hits the driver from the rough? Decoration and alignment sounds like the most reasonable to me

"raises hand"

I was in a scramble on a par 5 and my ball was sitting up in the rough. I hit the shot, struck it well but it went right and OB.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

On wooden woods the insert was smooth and flat and it was a way to keep crud away from the ball and perhaps to manage weight and shape.

The grooves were cut right through the inserts on wooden woods. The insert was not flat.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

The grooves were cut right through the inserts on wooden woods. The insert was not flat.

exactly.

Why did they have insert's? Couldn't they make a full all-plastic wood?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

• Administrator
why are there grooves on other golf clubs?

Other clubs aren't hit (nearly exclusively) from the tee.

They're for decoration and alignment on the driver. Nothing more, nothing less.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Decoration. Alignment.

So if you could hit a ball hovering in midair(with no debris, water, etc..) with two wedges, one with a bare face(no grooves) and one with grooves, they would spin the same amount.

That's what i got from your post and others.
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

I don't think its possible to hit a ball with a normal swing and not impart some spin, grooves or not. That being said if you grease the face of the driver can you prevent spin?

It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Β 
Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2,Β Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2,Β Mizuno MP-68 3-PW Β S300,Β Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Who hits the driver from the rough?

On the super rare occasion that I am sitting up in the rough and stuck behind a tree and need to put a big cut on the ball and have lots of room ahead and right (after going left of the tree) I will hit a driver. I don't practice it enough to be good at it consistently, but struck correctly it's a pretty good save shot.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Note:Β This thread is 5026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!