IGNORED

Can't hit long irons at all... any tips?

Note: This thread is 3039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am very comfortable with 6-PW, especially the 7/8 irons, but the 2-4 are just flat out brutal for me. I hit like 3-4 good shots out of every 10 at the most.

It's extremely frustrating as you can imagine.

First off, why are long irons so hard to hit compared to shorter irons. Secondly, are there any tips or sites you can recommend on reading up how to hit them better?

Thanks alot

In my bag:
R9 Driver 10.5 - R-Flex - Graphite
R9 3 & 5 Woods - R-Flex - Graphite
Tight Lies GT 2-8 Irons - R-Flex - Steel
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

They longer shafts make them harder to hit. You're further away from the ball and it's possible that the overall time to swing the club is longer, so a bigger window to have things go wrong. Also, there's a mental factor where people are psyched out by the loft of the club and try to help the ball into the air. That's generally what I see when people stuggle with long irons.

Try using the same tempo that you use with your 7 and 8 irons without any concern with the distance. Focus on just making a good swing, shoulder turn and solid contact. I hit my 3i further when I'm not to hit it my 3i distance.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

yea the longer shaft definitly plays a factor.

Where should the ball placement be? middle of my foot, towards the front foot or back foot?

Thanks

In my bag:
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

Grip down on the club and don't overswing...swing with the same tempo as you 7 iron.....tension free shoulders and spaghetti arms...if you have tension, you have no chance of a good shot.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Closer to your front foot, I go with 5 Hyrbid/iron middle of the stance, then either way for other clubs.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Grip down on the club and don't overswing...swing with the same tempo as you 7 iron.....tension free shoulders and spaghetti arms...if you have tension, you have no chance of a good shot.

Grip down on the club.

I have really long, heavy 3,4 irons and woods, I grip down on them, swing easy and let the club do all the work

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Get hybrids!

Just kidding - what works for me is to think of them just like any other club. No need to modify your swing or anything - what works for the 5 iron will work for the 3 and the 4. The 2 iron might be a different story...

when you guys say "grip down" what do you mean by that?

In my bag:

when you guys say "grip down" what do you mean by that?

grip down closer to the shaft.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

grip down closer to the shaft.

thought so. I actually have tried that and it was OK. Maybe I should of given it more of a look. Ill try it tonite at the range or in the morning, whenever I go next.

In my bag:

I keep the ball by my left heel with the longer irons. I move it back as I get closer to wedges. Wedges are usually a little forward of center. All depends on how I'm hitting it that day and what I'm trying to do with the shot.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I hate to say it but usually guys who have trouble with long irons are too steep and don't get enough extension on the backswing and come over it on the downswing. Well, I am sorry to imform you but it usually reguires a whole retooling of swing and swing plane IMO. I am not sure if there is a easy way out. Hitting long irons can be hard even for the best of players.

I'm a newb, but i just had a great range session where i hit pw-3. what worked for me and what i realized was that on the longer irons, i get phased out by how far I am from the ball and i dont shift my hips forward enough. see if thats the problem. when you dont shift the hips forward enough, the swing gets too steep and it becomes very hard to hit longer irons, which are meant to barely make a divot.

same for me. My keeping the ball at my left heel, i remember to shift my hips forward. if i didnt, i would skull the ball. this move fosters lag and the ability to hit longer irons.

Whatever you do, don't try to lift it into the air. Hit down on it as if it was a wedge, and you will hit it as good as a 8 iron. I hope this helps!

Driver: 909 D3
3 Wood: 909 F3 13
Rescue: 909 17
Irons: AP2 3-PW
Wedges 58 degree and 52 Spin Milled (oil can) Newport 2(custom shop):taylormade: TP Penta 4-Under Golf Bag (Red/White)

Try a 3 quarter swing with your 3 and 4 iron and you should be good.Most people i see hitting long irons seem to overswing on the backswing and try to kill it.Three quarter feeling on the backswing and your timing back to the ball should be a lot better.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

When I had this problem, I moved the ball more towards my left heel at address. I can't say exactly where I put it, but it's definitely left of center somewhere. Take some swings at the range experimenting with ball position and see if that helps. Use the same swing obviously. If you start hitting it fat, then you need to get your weight forward more likely. Unfortunately, this post is just guesswork.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate to say it but usually guys who have trouble with long irons are too steep and don't get enough extension on the backswing and come over it on the downswing. Well, I am sorry to imform you but it usually reguires a whole retooling of swing and swing plane IMO. I am not sure if there is a easy way out. Hitting long irons can be hard even for the best of players.

I absolutely agree with this and think it is a key point. The longer irons require a flatter swing plane than the shorter irons. Many inexperienced players try to use the same relatively vertical plane from their wedges and short irons to hit the long irons. It just doesn't work. I'm not sure you have to retool your whole swing, but getting the plane flatter is definitely key.

Note: This thread is 3039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!