IGNORED

Greatest short game player of all time... who is it?

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. who's got the greatest short game

• Ballesteros
    • Watson
    • Mickelson
    • Woods
    • Trevino
    • Crenshaw
    • Other

Borne out of a discussion in another thread, i decided to give this topic it's own page. This is somewhat subjective, but i think results in terms of scoring can be applied to this question.

personally, i think it's hands down tiger woods, but it seems that other feel differently.

Phil. He can pull of trick shotgame shots that most players cant even imagine.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Does it include putting??? If it didn't then I would say that it would be Phil but if it did include putting then its definately not Phil.

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

For creative shots, Seve. Heck, he could win closest to the pin contests against other pros from bunkers -- they with their normal sand wedges, and he would use a 3 iron to lure them into the bet. He was a magician pitching the ball around the greens.

RC

For creative shots, Seve. Heck, he could win closest to the pin contests against other pros from bunkers -- they with their normal sand wedges, and he would use a 3 iron to lure them into the bet. He was a magician pitching the ball around the greens.

I was thinking of the 3 iron when I read this topic. He invented the word creativity.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Any particular reason that Stockton and Utley aren't listed here? If pressed, I'd have to choose between the two of them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Utley would probably pick Seve too.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil. He can pull of trick shotgame shots that most players cant even imagine.

yeah, but it doesn't pay off for him very much. you never see tiger make a 8 on a hole, but for phil that's pretty common.

Of people I've seen play live during my lifetime it's gotta be Tiger-but I'll go with Watson based on the footage I've seen, at least during his prime. Or maybe Seve-his skill had to be borne out of necessity, based on some of the spots he put himself into. Wonder if Phil is a Seve fan?

+1

seve was brilliant.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

1st place: Tie with Seve and Watson (Watson kept it simple) ( Seve was a genius )

2nd place: Tiger ( Gets the edge over Phil, keeps it simple and deadly)

3rd place: Phil (Phil over does it by turning basic shots into high risk failures)

4th place: Peter Thompson ( most underated short game ever IMO)

5th place: Trevino ( Chipped with a SW most of his career. Even used a lady's sand wedge to win the Open)

6th place: Gary player, (one of the best bunker players ever, had a great overall short game.)

well, i wasn't lucky enough to see seve, lee, etc. with any kind of appreciation for what they were doing. plus they would have been well past prime.

Just to let you know some history, when Seve would practice around the greens and from bunkers, other pros would actually stop and watch. The rest of us would just watch in awe. I am and was not a particularly impressed Seve fan because his all around game was a bit unreliable, but he played with touch and imagination unlike any one I every watched.

RC

Billy Casper

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A long as bunker play is on thread, here's what Paul Runyan said in The Short Way to Lower Scoring : "My sand technique evolved in part from observing how John Revolta played these shots. Among the golfers of that era, I would rank myself second, along with Sam Snead [!], out of bunkers. But Revolta led the class by a big margin. His skill from sand simply left me aghast."

Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!