IGNORED

Shaking Hands With Your Foursome / Removing Your Hat on 18th Green?

bigoak
Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do on the 18th green? (Choose all that apply, and it's anonymous, so be honest.)

• I almost always shake hands.
    • I often shake hands.
    • I sometimes shake hands.
    • I almost always remove my hat.
    • I often remove my hat.
    • I sometimes remove my hat.

yup... even though i play with my close friends most of the time and not strangers, we all shake each others hands.

In my ORG 14 Cart Bag:

Driver: FTI 10 degree
Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 3W
Hybrid: 2i Hi-Bore 4i XLS Hi-BoreIrons: X-22 Tour w/ Project X 6.0 shafts (5-PW)Wedges: CG15 52 and 56Putter: Red XBalls: HX Hot Bites

Yes. Golf is a social game and this is one of its graces. It's a way of saying thank you for being my friend for four hours.

If the OP meant, do you shake hands on the green, or step off and out of the way of the oncoming group first, do it on the green. I don't mind waiting in the fairway while people do this, and I expect them to wait for me. Again, it's honoring something that makes our game different.

I don't, I think my friends would find it weird. If I were playing with a stranger or people from work I would.

my hands off for keeping the puns going. Don't give me the evil either.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Put me in the crowd who shake hands with strangers but generally not with friends. Regarding hats, I usually don't, but if the person I'm shaking hands with has done so, I would follow suit. Also, I usually do this right on the green as we're cleaning up the last putt, putting back the flag, etc. It's often the last time the whole group is right together. It's not much of a hold up, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge the group ahead of me taking a few moments for this after finishing.

Edit: forgot the obligatory pun. You may not understand the custom now kiddo, but someday you .

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The last time i didn't shake hands after a round was april in myrtle Beach and the reason was 2 of the guys were already running for the car, i was grabbing the flag and the other knucklehead was taking a leak...we were a late for our 2nd round of the day before we left the first course!!

Other then that we always shake hands reguardless of who we are playing with...i would find it very odd if you didn't.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

People everywhere from to shake hands and so do I. If guys like and do it, then I better do it as well.

Shake hands? (please check one)
..............................................Yes or No.............................................................

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

If I'm playing with strangers it's always a polite removal of the cap and shades and a nice handshake. If I'm playing with friends it's always an exaggerated, hearty handshake and an over the top congratulations for a "terrific round sir!" I think it's sarcasm for my dad being so adamant about it.

What's in my Micro Lite Bag:

Driver: RocketBallz Tour 9
3 Wood: V Steel 15 degree
3-PW: 762 DCIGW: CG 12 52 degree

SW/LW: spin milled 56/11, 60/7

Putter: 2 Ball 35"

Well. Normally with strangers but considering playing partners often visit the bushes to ease the bladder and obviously not washing I often don't want to. It has created a couple of akward situations when the guy sticks his hand out expecting me to shake it.

Well. Normally with strangers but considering playing partners often visit the bushes to ease the bladder and obviously not washing I often don't want to. It has created a couple of akward situations when the guy sticks his ______ out expecting me to shake it.

Consider yourself luckily the blank was filled with the word "hand".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 1 year later...
Why did JJ Killeen not take his cap and glasses off before shaking his playing partners and caddies hands? Rude as

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• Administrator
Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Why did JJ Killeen not take his cap and glasses off before shaking his playing partners and caddies hands?

That's only a pretty recent thing.

It's not rude. You're outside, why should you have to fumble around with your hat and your putter and all that jazz? Just shake the guy's hand.

Look back at old photos, they didn't take their hats off. They're outside .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Why did JJ Killeen not take his cap and glasses off before shaking his playing partners and caddies hands?

Why did carpediem4300 repeat himself twice within a couple hours?

just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Personally, i am not inclined to remove my hat out of doors. Why? No disrespect to others but protection from radiation. I am ultra white skin with Type I complexion and very susceptible to sunburn and possible skin cancer. The top of my head, now with less hair, is  always covered during the day. When i was younger and my boy played AYSO soccer, i did referee for a few years until the leaders told me that hats and longsleeved shirts were forbidden to wear when reffing. I quit that job. The handshaking thing just a little formality, like bending the knee before the Queen. Not very important.  Unless in Thailand.

I don't usually remove my hat or sunglasses at the end of the round. I usually have a putter or a flag stick in my hand, so it is just easier to shake everyone's hand without trying to hold my hat. I have no intention of being rude or disrespectful. I always shake hands,and I have shaken hands with guys that I didn't really want to. I have also been left standing waiting to shake hands when guys have walked away.

That's only a pretty recent thing. It's not rude. You're outside, why should you have to fumble around with your hat and your putter and all that jazz? Just shake the guy's hand. Look back at old photos, they didn't take their hats off. They're outside .

The same reason you dont stand so your shadows on an opponents putting line,....its just etiquette I found this as annoying as people wearing hats in the clubhouse,......sadly its becoming the norm :( Ps: i have a hat surgically attached,.....unless im indoors or handshaking

Personally, i am not inclined to remove my hat out of doors. Why? No disrespect to others but protection from radiation. I am ultra white skin with Type I complexion and very susceptible to sunburn and possible skin cancer. The top of my head, now with less hair, is  always covered during the day. When i was younger and my boy played AYSO soccer, i did referee for a few years until the leaders told me that hats and longsleeved shirts were forbidden to wear when reffing. I quit that job. The handshaking thing just a little formality, like bending the knee before the Queen. Not very important.  Unless in Thailand.

Perfectly good reason,.......if u shook my hand with your hat on id call you on.....then when u told me why id be cool and probably quite interested in you talking about it [quote name="Dave H" url="/t/58306/2012-crowne-plaza-invitational-at-colonial/18#post_716228"] Why did carpediem4300 repeat himself twice within a couple hours?  Rude as just kidding, I couldn't resist.  [/quote] Haha, im using a htc to websurf,....sometimes it tells me its done stuff when it hasnt and vice versa

Originally Posted by iacas

That's only a pretty recent thing.

It's not rude. You're outside, why should you have to fumble around with your hat and your putter and all that jazz? Just shake the guy's hand.

Look back at old photos, they didn't take their hats off. They're outside.

I've got to disagree with you here. Doffing the hat off is a simple gesture of respect for your playing partners. Are we seriously going to argue that it's too much hassle to do that one small thing? As far as shades go, you take them off because when you shake hands with someone -- anytime -- you should look them in the eye.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!