IGNORED

My Swing (Zeph)

Zeph
Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Edit funtion timed out. I think my upper body rotation today is more of a result of the arms leading, than rotation by itself. I think I'd get a good position by simply rotating the shoulders and lifting the arms. Not really moving the hands anywhere but up. Getting them more in front of the chest at the top. Still got the downswing sequence of course, but I think it would help.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Zeph

This is a more realistic view from a normal full swing. I guess it's more of an arm folding than rotation I'm talking about. With the arms not getting there early enough from the top, it just becomes harder.

When you turn at too slow a rate to 3, your arms will carry on, go behind the shirt seam, etc. When you turn completely to A3 and feel like your left arm is still out at your toe line (it won't be, but we don't want it so deep either), you gain depth via the TURN and not via any right elbow manipulation.

Originally Posted by Zeph

I suppose it's possible to play with if the rest of the sequencing is right, but I don't think it's helping. On the other hand, with that top position, I have to exaggerate the downswing even more to make a difference, which might be a good thing.

Yeah, basically. The reason Charlie Wi goes forward SO FAR for SO LONG is that he HAS TO, because his right elbow gets stuck behind him, and his arms and hands can't come down, so he has to give himself a TON of time to so.

You could say that, yes. Arms are so far behind, I don't really have any other options but to flip. I'm assume that Erik is talking about rotating the arms/hands faster on the downswing, so they don't arrive late to the party.

No, rotating your hips and your torso at a faster rate on the backswing.

I tried straightening out the right arm earlier and faster one day, which felt better. Don't know if there was any difference, but I think it was working in the direction I want to.

That's not a bad thing either. But no, as you'll see in evolvr (we may not do it first but it's coming) the rates of rotation on the backswing will need to be addressed.

I think my upper body rotation today is more of a result of the arms leading, than rotation by itself. I think I'd get a good position by simply rotating the shoulders and lifting the arms. Not really moving the hands anywhere but up. Getting them more in front of the chest at the top.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Doing some work on takeaway. Camera angles are a bit different, but the club is still more out on the left. Not sure if the hands should go a bit deeper from A1 to A2. In the left swing they don't move in until A2. Got the shaft angle a bit steeper at A3 and my elbow is not folding behind me as much. Elbow could bend more, earlier. I'll keep working on this stuff for now. I think I'll try doing a shot from behind me to get a better view. I got a few videos of good players from that angle. I do wonder if I should limit the upper body rotation at the top. I tend to rotate that much even when the elbow doesn't slide behind me. If I dial shoulders back a few degrees, it doesn't look too bad to me. Point of focus could be the head and neck. Once I start feeling a lot of tension and strain, I'll stop. I did hit it better with those changes yesterday. Impact definitely felt better and my shots were more consistent. Shot to something around my handicap on around after practice. Made one birdie and had a good look at 5 others.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Zeph

Doing some work on takeaway.

Your backswing and takeaway will get a lot better if you feel like the arms and hands DO NOTHING (except hinge the club up a little). TURN TURN TURN.

I feel like The Byrds lately.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your backswing and takeaway will get a lot better if you feel like the arms and hands DO NOTHING (except hinge the club up a little). TURN TURN TURN. I feel like The Byrds lately.

Nah, Zeph is too young to know who they were...

Colin P.

Not every day someone makes me feel young. :-D I listen to some music from that era, but different genres. Anyway, I'll try keeping the pressure point between the upper arm and chest at the same point during the backswing. Plus, there is a time to turn and that is now. My shirts are very slippery. Perhaps I should practice without one. :-P

My shirts are very slippery. Perhaps I should practice without one. :-P

Don't do that bro! I did it once and wore a raw spot on my left shoulder from where the stubble on my chin was rubbing on my shoulder skin.

Colin P.

This is hard guys. A lot of feelings and thoughts today. The best results were pretty much in the same vicinity as the video below. I tried... [LIST] [*] choked up punch shots [*] keeping the hands in front of the chest [*] hands in front and swing extender [*] stopping at A3 [*] only turning [*] sticking upper arm to the front part of the chest [/LIST] Overall, the shortest swings came when I tried to stop at A3. I didn't really stop there, but that what was I was thinking about. Most of the swings where I tried to keep the hands still, only turn, and keeping the hands in front of my chest looked similar to the swing below. A lot of these swings felt so weird. It felt like my lead arm was pointing downward at the top. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/USRaXaVaWig [/VIDEO] A bunch of top position pics. I need a swing that is consistent, not just having the odd good swing. All the pictures are of different swings. [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] [/SPOILER]

I think I'm starting to understand what Erik is talking about. Just turning and hinging. It feels very weird, but at the same time manageable. Just turning and hinging doesn't feel like a difficult thing to do, but it will of course take time to ingrain it. It definitely feels like a better position. Here is a comparison of my old swing, my revised swing and a couple of hacks. Club path in the backswing is starting to look better and my swing feels more solid, even though I hit it thin and shorter. I need the other components before I can really start to see the big improvement in ballstriking. Weight forward and some pressure points in the hands stuff to stop throwing the club. Contact area on the clubface doesn't look terrible either. Some dirt, grass and stuff, but most of the ball stuff is right where I want it to be.

Dude, the difference between those first two pics is awesome... I'm learning a lot from this thread, I overswing like you do because I'm flexible and the momentum of my arms takes me father than I need to go. I love the idea of just turning the shoulders - I did this with my Orange Whip and it's amazing how far the swing goes without even thinking about folding the right arm...

Colin P.

• 2 weeks later...

I work offshore, but luckily got a simulator out here. Even got a set of Titleist AP2 with S300 shafts. The lighting is not the best, so high speed capture didn't work too well. It also put the projector into epilepsy mode.

Working on turning shoulders and hips, hands more in front and getting the hands down faster.

• 5 weeks later...
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_Bydk5eLY[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reUUR137IC4[/VIDEO] Working on: [LIST] [*] Rotation [*] Flexing elbow earlier [*] Staying closed longer [*] Getting arms down faster [/LIST] I see that I got some work to do on the elbow. I think I get my hands a bit too far away from my body during the takeaway. Looks like I could attach the upper arm a bit more to the chest, which will get the hands closer. Feeling/thought can be to keep the hands closer, not be as wide. Of course other stuff to work on, but I am satisfied with the progress so far. I can't do anything about impact until I get some other pieces in place and start to work on pressure points.

• 4 weeks later...
I've moved the ball more forward and started using forward focus point. How far and where should I focus? Working on some sequencing, arms more down and less out on the downswing, weight more forward, straighter legs, extension. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1fPeDFxL-g[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrxm3r4boak[/VIDEO]

• 11 months later...

Not a lot going on here this year. I've played a lot of golf, but not put much effort into practice. My final year at school is coming up and I want to get back to it after that.

My club had a fund raising campaign during the winter where they sold packages of greenfees, range balls, lessons etc. I bought one with three lessons that I will be spending before school starts again. Already had my first, where we focused on irons and ballstriking. He had nothing to comment on my setup, posture, grip etc. Not surprisingly, my takeaway had regressed to the inside flip, so we worked on keeping the club on plane and getting the left arm in line with the shoulders at the top.

The next lesson we'll be looking at the driver. I'm sure there is a lot of the same stuff causing problems there. I also hope I'll get some more distance out of it. On flat fairways, I'm hitting it 250 yards total, which is not what I want. Based on my swing speed (105-110), I can get more out of it. Low launch angle is probably one of the problems, maybe high spin, too. I may also be holding back a lot, since I can't trust it. Some years ago, when I was very confident with the driver, my distance was better.

I got another two weeks of vacation, so I don't expect to fix it all this year. Once school starts, there won't be much more golf.

Just some notes for future reference:

Irons

• Take club back on plane.
  • High hands, left arm in line with shoulders.

Driver

• Softer right arm at address, more back tilt.
  • Full rotation of upper and lower body.
  • Keep flex in back knee longer in downswing, not extending it too early. Feels more backwards leaning through the finish.
  • Full follow through, belt buckle at target.

Chipping, pitching, bunker shots

• Take club back on plane.

Putting

• Longer backswing, do not accelerate through the ball.

Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!