IGNORED

Golf Glove or No Glove???

Note: This thread is 1437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Tifosinumerouno

I have a different take on it. On full swing shots, up to about 80yds and in, I always use a glove. I get blisters without it. But on close approach shots and chips/pitches as well as putting, I do not use a glove....I felt like on a "feel" shot, I needed to be able to "feel" the club and I couldn't do that with a glove on.

+1

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

use a glove for everything, including putting and chipping - if  you use a good thin leather glove (as opposed to the thick synthetic ones), seems there's plenty of feel without bothering to take it off ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My hand would die after 4 hours of wearing a glove. :-P At the time I used one, I took it off after every shot. Plus, it give you the same tan on both hands. :-D

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by anthony

No glove here. No particular reason other than I've never used one. I should buy one just to try out.

Just say no. Gloves are a gateway accessory. Next it's iron covers and bead counters.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Nole77

I've been glove free for about 8 months now.  Can't say I miss it.

I have the occasional glove but only socially. I don't glove at home.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I seem to be in the minority, I leave my glove on for every shot, including putting. It's the way I have always done things, so I don't feel the need to change.

When I traveled a lot and played a lot of golf I stopped wearing a glove because I didn't want one hand with a tan and one without.  My game is average enough that it didn't matter then and now it feels odd to wear one.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Just say no. Gloves are a gateway accessory. Next it's iron covers and bead counters.

I have thought this for a while but gloves are golfs "impulse buy".  They aren't necessary but people always see them by the counter and remember that pro on TV was wearing one, so they buy one, too.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Im a glove guy. Im the guy in the beer softball league with a batting glove on both hands. I also wore my batting glove underneath my mitt all my life even back to little league. Golfing without a glove seems crazy to me, but to each his own, whatever works for the individual.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

A few sports/activities where I wear glove (including one glove or mitts):

- baseball

- snowboarding

- hockey

- mountain biking

- snowball fights

- sledding

- raking the yard with my ratty old rake

- shovelling snow

- at work

A few sports where I do not feel the need to wear a glove:

- tennis

- volleyball

- squash

- badminton

- golf

- swimming

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Started playing without a glove last year (after playing with one for 8 years).  I love it!!  I bring a towel for days when my hands will sweat a lot so I can wipe them and the grip off (Freddie Couples style).  I think I have way more "feel" without a glove.  No, that's not a dirty joke.

My hands get really sweaty when it's over 70 outside, so I have to have a glove to avoid slipping.  Started back in HS when golf tryouts were the early part of August.  It'd be 90+ degrees by the time I made the turn, so I needed something.  Gloves also helped with the blisters early on.  Don't really get blisters anymore, but I definitely need a glove for the sweat.  If I didn't use a glove, putting and chipping would just feel weird as my grip would be all wet and gross feeling.  So i wear one all the time, awkward one handed tan and all.

All that being said, you don't *have* to use a glove to be good or play better. I use a glove out of necessity.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I must be made different then...if I wore a glove while sweating..it would be soaked through after about 7 holes and thats with taking it off between shots.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Glove or no glove is a personal preference and should incorporate a number of factors when a player is deciding what is best.  The primary purpose of a glove is to enhance the quality of a player’s grip on the club.  What factors affect quality of grip?

-The type of grip on the club and its age

-How well does the installed grip react to moisture (sweat, rain, or recently applied lakewater when testing flight conditions)

-How sweaty your hands get

-Susceptibility to blisters, etc.

I have been playing golf all of my life without a glove.   I do not have particularly sweaty hands.  I have full chord grips so moisture does not affect performance too significantly.  I play regularly so I have developed calluses making blisters less of an issue.  (A quick note on blisters: Blisters can tell a lot about how you are gripping the club.  The location of regularly forming blisters can tell you that you may be gripping the club incorrectly (too much in the palm or in the fingers) or that you may be gripping the club too tightly.)

Golf gloves are a necessity for many players given certain factors during full swings but are often unnecessary and potentially detrimental in short game situations.  I especially prefer bare hands in these situations where “feel” is of paramount importance.  Dave Pelz often refers to the “Dead Hands” grip in his short game bible because it allows players to feel the weight of the club and prevents the small muscles (hands, forearms, and in cases upper arms) from taking over these shots and creating inconsistent results.  Golf gloves create one more barrier between the club and myself, which can may diminish my control and feel for the club when it is most important.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Is there a 12-step group that can help those who are addicted to gloves?

Sometimes, I go extreme and even wear a Bionic golf glove.

http://www.amazon.com/Bionic-Performance-Glove-Medium-Large/dp/B003O4FA86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1333074200&sr;=8-2

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Paradox

I must be made different then...if I wore a glove while sweating..it would be soaked through after about 7 holes and thats with taking it off between shots.

My gloves absolutely get soaked, but wet glove is still able to hold the club much better than wet hand.  Most the time the sweat comes through on the backhand side more than the palm side.  More padding on the palm side...probably?

All that being said, I would probably still wear a glove if not used for sweating purposes. Consistency thing I guess? Like in pro football, some QBs only wear gloves when it's cold and some wear them all the time just to keep the feeling the same all the time.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 1437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!