IGNORED

Cheap starter irons

Note: This thread is 4988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ping Eye 2s are the way to go...

Absolutely. Eye Two's or a set of I3 "o'size" irons can be found at very reasonable prices and are some of the best GI irons on the market. If the OP does a little shopping around there's a good chance he could even land a good deal on a set of G2's or G5"s. But I recommend a fitting first so he ends up with the right color code.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Wow, Gigagolf is selling a full P3 hybrid set (3,4 hybrid, 5-PW irons) for less than $150 at the moment.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

Wow, Gigagolf is selling a full P3 hybrid set (3,4 hybrid, 5-PW irons) for less than $150 at the moment.

Have any of you guys tried these ones? I am thinking about getting them for my Dad for his birthday, I think its time for him to upgrade his 30 year old irons lol. And where do you see this price? I see $180.

Have any of you guys tried these ones? I am thinking about getting them for my Dad for his birthday, I think its time for him to upgrade his 30 year old irons lol. And where do you see this price? I see $180.

Well if you look at my sig you'll see I have a bag full of Gigagolf clubs! I'm cheap and cannot justify spending $400+ on functionally equivalent clubs ;)

I think they're great. They're really attractive, very well made, and play great. The only thing I don't like about them is the goofy name stamped into them. I got an email today with a coupon code for 20% any of their hybrid+iron sets. The P3 seems to be the cheapest. The code for the P3 is HYS001.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

Woah thanks, I got my some ZR1s from pinemeadow golf that are coming Wednesday I am pretty excited! Ill show these to my Dad tonight and see if he would want to try em out. I like the 30 day money back gaurntee thing.

I saw a set of Ping G5's a few weeks back for $89. Went back to try them and they were gone.

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

If he is just starting out, Id suggest a cheap $200 set. No sense investing a small fortune in it when he isnt sure if he is going to like golf long-term. You could get a nice set of Top-Flite clubs from Target for $200-$300. That includes all the clubs and a bag. Even used you wouldnt touch a name brand set of clubs for that kind of money.
Granted, they are cheap clubs (most likely clones) but a new player isnt going to be able to tell a difference from clones to name brand clubs anyways.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Well if you look at my sig you'll see I have a bag full of Gigagolf clubs! I'm cheap and cannot justify spending $400+ on functionally equivalent clubs ;)

Does it say when that 20% code expires? I want to order those tomorrow my Dad said he liked them.

Could you please recommend a good quality used set (less than 15 yr old) that is also forgiving under $150 that he can get from ebay? ...

Beginners should stay away from eBay - they don't know anything about the game or clubs yet. Send him to a reputable golf shop so they can do a static fitting on the clubs. Static fitting makes sure the shafts aren't too short or too long, and the lie isn't too flat or upright. Also, a 150-pounder probably doesn't want X-stiff shafts.

Also, he can try out the clubs to see if they work. You haven't mentioned anything about lessons. If he could get a late-summer golf clinic, this would help him start out on the right foot. A golf-shop-lesson combo would work well, as long as the shop is reputable and has staff who know the game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

sports authority had 3-pw ram irons...
Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

they were 99 bucks
Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

I just picked up a 9 club set from gigagolf for 150 shipped. That was just irons & wedges. They`ve got some great deals on hybrid&iron; sets as well.

If it`s a starter set might as well either go the hybrid mixed set route or a shorter set, like 5-w. Long irons probably aren`t going to help a beginner`s game immensly.

they were 99 bucks

That sounds about right for Ram irons, unless we're talking about late 70s or early 80s forged like Golden Rams or Tour Grind.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Find a good set of used clubs on ebay. When I was a beginner I bought most of my clubs used, some from ebay some from used bins in golf stores.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

if I was a beginner looking for a used set, i would go to my local golf shop. they always have decent sets of used irons for cheap. Like Ping i3 irons, mizuno irons, etc. usually 200 and under

Note: This thread is 4988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!