IGNORED

Chipping, wrist or no wrist

Note: This thread is 3996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I consider myself a average to good chipper. I was chipping at the range today and a pro told me that I need to have some right wrist action (free advice). When I chip, I tried to have no wrist action to control the distance. He showed me how to chip with a lot of right wrist bending on the backswing. He also told me to choke down on the club near the bottom of the grip. What do you think about his advice?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have very minimal to no wrist action, at least on short (< 20 yard) chips. I find that I'm a lot more repeatable that way. However, I find it very hard to get consistent long chips, so I'm going to start working on a different technique soon, following Utley's book.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

No wrist for me. I try to keep everything as simple as possible with less variables such as wrist movement.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

For chip shots I use no wrists. But that's normally only from 40 and in. Farther out than that and I'll use a lot of wrist action and use spin to get the ball close. I love the half wedge shots lately.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

I do break my wrist on the backswing...but I hold the break thru impact.

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

It depends upon the length of the chip. If its a longer chip, I will have a little wrist hinge. It helps me add a little more oomph to my chips.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I would never tell anyone to add wrist cock to their stock chip shots. For most chip shots I used a decent amount of wrist cock, but I only do that to get the trajectory and spin that I want. A chip shot without wrist action is much easier. Once you get that down, then you could start experimenting with different amounts of wrist action.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would never tell anyone to add wrist cock to their stock chip shots. For most chip shots I used a decent amount of wrist cock, but I only do that to get the trajectory and spin that I want. A chip shot without wrist action is much easier. Once you get that down, then you could start experimenting with different amounts of wrist action.

I dunno, I've seen quite a few playing partners try to do the no wrist chip shot and they look like they are suffering from rigor mortis.

I do exactly what the pro told the OP to do on chip shots, to a tee. Choke down, use some wrist bend..the trick is that the wrist bend happens on the backswing, you don't let them go through follow through.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

No wrist for me. I try to keep everything as simple as possible with less variables such as wrist movement.

perfectly said. My chipping is the best part of my game and i have zero wrist action.

Varsity
A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

I know that's how it's supposed to be, but it doesn't work for me. I've always had to be a wristy to get the right feel for my chipping and pitching. I tried to do the no wrist method and I just can't get the feel right. I tend to pull everything left, chunk, skull.... anything that you can do wrong I do when I get too stiff. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anyone else, but it works for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Good things always happen for me when I hinge my wrists on the way back and keep my hands in front of the clubhead on the way through.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I thinking there are two ways to chip. With and without. I do both depending on the situation.

Golf has many flavors. Cookie cutter swings may or may not fit your style. My suggestion is to try both styles. See what you like.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I started by not hinging at all. As I started to get a little better I started to hinge and hold my wrists through the shot....helped me check the ball better. good luck

In the bag:
G-15 9 degree with Proforce V2
Ping Anser V-2
MP-52 3-PW, JPX-800 Pros 3-PW
52-08, 56-11 Vokeys G-15 15.5 3W G-10 5W

Wrist or no wrist action on chips...

General advice on chipping I often hear: The clubhead should never pass the hands, and keep the left wrist firm and flat.

This supposedly will prevent flipping or chilly-dipping, without insisting on stone-dead hands.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My short game is the best part of my game.

I change it depending on how much spin i want.
If I want my 60* to do a bump and run that checks at the very end I'll use little wrist action.
If I want it to bump, bounce and check i use more wrist action.

I like the phil mickleson chip, use wrist hinge for the backswing but keep a lot of shaft lean on the club through impact.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

for chipping I use a putter grip and stroke as if it is a putt. If I hinge my wrist then I am playing a short pitch shot not a chip shot.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

It depends upon the length of the chip. If its a longer chip, I will have a little wrist hinge. It helps me add a little more oomph to my chips.

Agreed. The length of the chip dictates my wrist hinge. 10 and under, no wrist hinge. 10-20 yards, a little hinge. 20 and up, I'd consider it a pitch shot and wrist hinge increases as the yardage increases.

Note: This thread is 3996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!