IGNORED

When will Steel Spikes Disappear?

canadianpro
Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After watching Jeff Overton's ball hit a spike mark on a birdie putt on the 17th hole for a share of the lead on Sunday, I wonder when the PGA Tour will finally ban steel spikes. To keep them makes bsolutely no sense when there are virtually no golf courses that allow them.

It just hurts the best players who are in the last groups...stupid!

PB

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

They'll allow them for the pros probably forever. I think you can swing a little harder with metal than with soft spikes.

People in soft spikes often scruff the green, especially the last few holes, if they're tired and don't pick up their feet.

I wear medium-density plastic spikes with a triangular pattern. If a green has any moisture to it, my spike marks look like tiny (but obviously mean) squirrells stomped on the green. Little depressions last for about 5 minutes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger and Phil both use steel spike, so if the PGA TOUR wanted to do something about it I'm sure the top 2 players would have a say. The only way would be to make a new rule where you can't wear them unless you have previously worn them in a PGA TOUR event. Sort of how baseball did with batting helmets (not than I'm saying the two are the same, what MLB did was dumb, but metal spikes aren't a safety issue).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Tiger and Phil both use steel spike, so if the PGA TOUR wanted to do something about it I'm sure the top 2 players would have a say. The only way would be to make a new rule where you can't wear them unless you have previously worn them in a PGA TOUR event. Sort of how baseball did with batting helmets (not than I'm saying the two are the same, what MLB did was dumb, but metal spikes aren't a safety issue).

Funny when the title said metal spikes I immediately thought of Phil as a holdout. Hockey did the same thing with the helmets too.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

honestly didnt know u could still wear them in the big leagues....hmmm..
i havent worn them since i was probably 16 or better
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I actually wish you could still use them at every course. There's a lot of pro's and con's between soft spikes and metal spikes but I always thought metal spikes were better.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I actually wish you could still use them at every course. There's a lot of pro's and con's between soft spikes and metal spikes but I always thought metal spikes were better.

I thank God that you can't. The difference in the condition of our greens just one year after steel spikes were banned was remarkable, and now I can't even stand thinking about going back. We are a public facility with more than 100,000 rounds played annually.... steel spikes would be sheer horror.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

some you can. one of the courses where i play steel spikes can be worn. i have an old pair of really comfortable foot joys for just such an occasion. it really does make a difference in footing, but i am wary not to twist or drag my feet on the greens.

Well people dragging their feet wearing soft spikes tears apart the green too. I agree it's not nearly as bad as metal spikes but the main point is don't drag your feet. I just like metal because of the better footing you get plus if you don't drag your feet they pull clean on most greens.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I'm too young to have ever used metal, though I remember when that's all that was worn when I was still playing in sneakers. I know there's absolutely no replacement in baseball and I would like to try them in golf now, but all of the courses I play at ban them.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!