IGNORED

PURE Grips

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Hey, I notice that that Pure makes Putter grips as well.  Do they work the same way as the regular grips - no tape and glue, just air?  Also, do you guys use them and/or recommend them?

Yep the putter grips work the same as the other grips.  If you like the pistol design (I think that's what it's called), then yes I would recommend them.  They have more of a tacky feel compared to the PING/Scotty Cameron pistol grips.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yep the putter grips work the same as the other grips.  If you like the pistol design (I think that's what it's called), then yes I would recommend them.  They have more of a tacky feel compared to the PING/Scotty Cameron pistol grips.

I'm assuming that "pistol" means the kind with the flat front?  That is the type of grip I have on my Ping now, and it's oooooold and slick and starting to tear apart.  I think once I get my other grips and gun, that I'll also go pick me out a new putter grip too. :)

Thanks!

One other thing I forgot about ... Do I need a special vise?  Or is there some sort of attachment that I can put on a regular vise?

I'm assuming that "pistol" means the kind with the flat front?  That is the type of grip I have on my Ping now, and it's oooooold and slick and starting to tear apart.  I think once I get my other grips and gun, that I'll also go pick me out a new putter grip too. :)

Thanks!

One other thing I forgot about ... Do I need a special vise?  Or is there some sort of attachment that I can put on a regular vise?

Yeah you can get one of these to put on a regular vise http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040227/clubmaker-rubber-vise-clamp

And in case you haven't seen it here's how to install the grips

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah you can get one of these to put on a regular vise http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040227/clubmaker-rubber-vise-clamp

And in case you haven't seen it here's how to install the grips

Pretty excited for my grips!  Can't wait to get my hands on them.  I have the compressor, and I'll get the gun when I get the grips, and based on videos I've seen, including the one above, I'm not at all worried about the installation.  The only thing that sounds like it might be tricky is the removal of the old taped standard grips.  Questions:

1.  Is there a special type of knife I can get to make it easier to not screw up the shaft ... particularly for the graphite shafted clubs?

2.  What psi am I supposed to set the compressor at for the installation?

Thanks again .. can't wait!

EDIT:  I'm going to get one of these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040116/golfsmith-pro-metal-vise-clamp That should work just as well with Vise clamps http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202214074?catalogId=10053&langId;=-1&keyword;=vice+clamps&storeId;=10051&N;=5yc1v&R;=202214074 as with a regular vise, no?

Should I also get one of these to remove the tape? http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040095/golfsmith-manual-grip-tape-remover

Pretty excited for my grips!  Can't wait to get my hands on them.  I have the compressor, and I'll get the gun when I get the grips, and based on videos I've seen, including the one above, I'm not at all worried about the installation.  The only thing that sounds like it might be tricky is the removal of the old taped standard grips.  Questions:

1.  Is there a special type of knife I can get to make it easier to not screw up the shaft ... particularly for the graphite shafted clubs?

Thanks again .. can't wait!

EDIT:  I'm going to get one of these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040116/golfsmith-pro-metal-vise-clamp That should work just as well with Vise clamps http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202214074?catalogId=10053&langId;=-1&keyword;=vice+clamps&storeId;=10051&N;=5yc1v&R;=202214074 as with a regular vise, no?

Should I also get one of these to remove the tape? http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040095/golfsmith-manual-grip-tape-remover

Get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rhino-00014-Blades-10-Pack/dp/B000XU3WAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1363372727&sr;=8-1&keywords;=hook+blade

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Just get a hook blade for a box cutter. I usually just slit the bottom end of the grip and rip up from there. The times when (with graphite) I have to slice the whole grip I'll just cut partway down, then rip the last bit of the grip. Like you're "scoring" your grips.

About 60-70 PSI works really well.

EDIT:  I'm going to get one of these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040116/golfsmith-pro-metal-vise-clamp That should work just as well with Vise clamps http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202214074?catalogId=10053&langId;=-1&keyword;=vice+clamps&storeId;=10051&N;=5yc1v&R;=202214074 as with a regular vise, no?

The first thing you listed is all you need. I recommend a thin piece of cloth too to help the rubber stick a little less to the paint on some graphite shafts. You can slightly crack the paint (not the shaft itself, but it looks like it) if the rubber sticks and kind of "pushes" the paint.

The latter wouldn't work at all. I just clamp into a normal vice using the thing you listed first and a small cloth to reduce friction during the initial stages of clamping. It'll still tighten up just fine.

Should I also get one of these to remove the tape? http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040095/golfsmith-manual-grip-tape-remover

Waste of money.  On steel just score the tape, get two wedges started, and try to pull it off like a grip. On graphite... good luck, but usually a hair dryer works (and tape sticks less to graphite usually anyway).

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rhino-00014-Blades-10-Pack/dp/B000XU3WAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1363372727&sr;=8-1&keywords;=hook+blade

Where's your order Shawn? Closes in two hours. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Where's your order Shawn? Closes in two hours. :)

You guys were late to the party...

I already have Pure's on my sticks!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I already have Pure's on my sticks!

But how exactly are those grips going to remind you to keep your head still, weight forward, flat left wrist, sweetspot path, and clubface control like mine will, hmmmmmmmm????  I got your frickin' dancing banana right here b&^%h!!!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Hardly. Your grips don't have the exclusive "5SK" on them. And I've used PURE since 2010.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I put a little video together for you guys on how you can quickly remove the shaft tape.  You can easily do it in less than 2 minutes.  I know it is easy to have trouble with it so this is how to do it quickly, with no heat.  Basically you make quick passes with the blade as you are rotating the shaft.  You do not need to put downward pressure from the blade to the shaft it will do the work for you.   I am using an Olfa knife just because I like them a lot, but the Black Rhino blade Beachcomber mentioned looks even better.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking of trying out the Pure grips on my next re-grip. Currently playing wth Winn Lites and I love the softness. I only see the P2 Wraps listed as soft on the website but I'm not a big fan of the Tour Wrap feel. Is there anything else out there that I'm not thinking of? I suppose I could get used to the wrap feel if it gives me the softness and durabiltity, something that is not a very common combination.

Edit* How does the DTX compare in feel to, say, a GP Tour Velvet?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm thinking of trying out the Pure grips on my next re-grip. Currently playing wth Winn Lites and I love the softness. I only see the P2 Wraps listed as soft on the website but I'm not a big fan of the Tour Wrap feel. Is there anything else out there that I'm not thinking of? I suppose I could get used to the wrap feel if it gives me the softness and durabiltity, something that is not a very common combination.

Edit* How does the DTX compare in feel to, say, a GP Tour Velvet?

I haven't used the DTX but the PURE Pro would be the model that is most similar to the Tour Velvet. The DTX is suppose to give the a similar feel to a cord grip from my understanding.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'm thinking of trying out the Pure grips on my next re-grip. Currently playing wth Winn Lites and I love the softness. I only see the P2 Wraps listed as soft on the website but I'm not a big fan of the Tour Wrap feel. Is there anything else out there that I'm not thinking of? I suppose I could get used to the wrap feel if it gives me the softness and durabiltity, something that is not a very common combination. Edit* How does the DTX compare in feel to, say, a GP Tour Velvet?

I game the P2 wraps. Love them so far. Don't really feel like a traditional wrap to me. Not quite as soft as you would think an very tacky. I love them with no gloves. I still can tell where I hit the ball as well, plenty of feedback.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Thanks to Erik I'm a big fan of Pure grips.  I just ordered a set of the DTX for my backup set or irons.

Joe Paradiso

Has anyone tried the DXT yet? I would love to see what you guys think of them. newtogolf, maybe you can let us know.

Nate

Originally Posted by cipher

Has anyone tried the DXT yet? I would love to see what you guys think of them. newtogolf, maybe you can let us know.

Sure, should have them by mid week and hope to try them out on Friday.

Joe Paradiso

Sure, should have them by mid week and hope to try them out on Friday.

Nice, thanks. Look forward to your thoughts on them.

Nate

I got the Pure DTX grips in yesterday and installed them tonight.  I'll give them a try tomorrow and let you know what I think.  They are just as tacky as the Pure Pro, but a bit rougher, which matches their claim to feeling more like corded grips.

Joe Paradiso