IGNORED

If Tiger's no longer the best player in the World.. who is?

Tiger Spuds
Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who's currently the best player in the World?

• Phil Mickelson
    • Lee Westwood
    • Ernie Els
    • Still Tiger!
    • Other (elaborate in thread)

Given the state of Tiger's game right now and long run without a win, he surely can no longer be called the world's best player, regardless of the official rankings.So, in your opinion, who's taken up the mantle?
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Tiger has been in a slump for a while, but I don't feel anyone during this time has been consistent enough to take the "best player" title from him. Tiger still goes into most tournaments as the odds makers favorite so I guess they still consider him the best too.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Given the state of Tiger's game right now and

What long run? I'm sure that just under a year without a win could be considered a "long run" in TWs world, but it really hasn't been that long since he won. Especially considering he hasn't played much this year.

I also agree that no single player has stepped up to take the mantle of "best" from Tiger.

What long run? I'm sure that just under a year without a win could be considered a "long run" in TWs world, but it really hasn't been that long since he won. Especially considering he hasn't played much this year.

It is a long time in Tiger's world, for sure, and by the looks of it he isn't going to win anytime soon.Personally think Lee Westwood is the most consistent of the World's top players at the moment.Whilst he's only picked up a few wins, he seems to be in contention almost every time he tee's it up.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I'd say Ernie Els.
Lowest stroke average, money leader, Fed Ex Cup points leader, 2 tournament wins this year, 6 top 10s

WON 2010 World Golf Championships-CA Championship
WON 2010 Arnold Palmer Invitational (Bay Hill)
T3 2010 Valero Texas Open
3 2010 U.S. Open Championship

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Tiger is +11 after 3 rounds at Firestone, 3rd from last, and some of you still think he's the best player in the World right now?You must be high.And before some of you make the 'It's one tournament' argument, he has been abysmal all year.His intimate knowledge of Augusta and Pebble, along with his sheer persistence and determination, are the only reasons he had top 5 finishes at those tournaments, because it certainly wasn't down to the quality of his play.Ernie Els and Lee Westwood have both easily played better and more consistant golf since Tiger's been back.Phil.. well, Phil is Phil, but if he gets to number 1 he deserves it.Whatever happens in the future, it's fairly clear that Tiger is not the world's best golfer right now.

I can sort of see the argument for Tiger, in that the "decay time constant" for "best golfer" is unspecified. My personal feeling is he's still the best in terms of what he's going to do in the future, but certainly he's not playing the best this year. So if you consider being the best to have the best capability in some intrinsic sense, I think you can make a pretty good case it's still Tiger. However in the context of this question, I think best play this year is more appropriate, and that ain't Tiger.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Tiger has the best career of any active golfers. He hasn't been playing the best all year. There are a couple of people (phil and lee) who I think are better golfers right now. When Tiger and Phil are in form, they are neck and neck. It used to be Tiger was so much better, but now, they are pretty much the same. Phil improved and tiger got worse.

Brian

Let's look at consistancy
Two wins, Two top 5s, 6 Top 10s in 14 starts. I can only be talking about the Big Easy. Ernie Els is my pick, and I expect him to snatch another top 5 in the PGA.

Diablo. 10 degree, neutral. (R-Flex)
F-Speed 15.5 degree 3 Wood (R)
A70s 19 degree hybrid (R)
2009 CG-7 Tour Irons (3-PW) (R)
CG-14 52, 56, 60 degree wedges. (R)SeeMore FGP Putter (The charm of my bag) Gamer V2

Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!