IGNORED

Based on recent PLAY only, would you as captain make Tiger your Ryder choice

steelernation
Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Pick Tiger based on recent play?

• Yes
    • No

I want to see how he plays at the PGA, but unless he wins and somehow doesn't make the team, no.

The advantage of Tiger on a Ryder Cup team, at least at first, was some small intimidation factor.

The best use of the Captain's picks is to make sure your team matches have good pairings. If you didn't have anyone else to pair Stricker with, and he wanted to go with Tiger, I'd spend the pick.

Note that the suggestions that Azinger should pick Tiger are based on very different reasons than the suggestions for Pavin to make a similar pick.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Intimidation, not so much as the previous years at least. Could be the opposite actually. Now everyone knows Tiger doesn't play well, might boost them into playing better to beat him. If anything, he's got the factor of being unpredictable, what with his game going all over the place.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

No way.Depends who he was paired with of course, but in singles you couldn't imagine him picking up too many points.He's never been overly impressive in the Ryder cup anyway, he's certainly not gonna be any better this year if he plays.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

You said based on recent play, in which case there is no other choice but to say no. But I would still pick him if I was the captain.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's a double edge sword. Based strictly on play, no, he's off his game, and needs to get back on track. That said, how can you leave the biggest name in golf off the team if he's willing to play. What does not having Tiger on the team do for sponsors, ratings, and the tour?

I'd be concerned that the focus would be Tiger not being on the team, especially if the US team doesn't do well. Nothing in this country is based solely on performance merits, you have to consider the big picture.

Joe Paradiso

Ill quote Tiger "I am going to play my way onto the team"

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

If I was making the captain's picks, my short list of players contending for those four spots would read like this:

Hunter Mahan
Bubba Watson
Ricky Barnes
J.B. Holmes
Ben Crane
Sean O'Hair
Zach Johnson

Anyone else would have to win either this week or next to even enter the discussion. Bo Van Pelt has a better chance than Tiger to make the team right now.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

What does not having Tiger on the team do for sponsors, ratings, and the tour?

The Ryder Cup is unaffiliated with the PGA Tour. Your comment is correct with regards to sponsors and ratings, however.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Why not Rickie Fowler?

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Why not Rickie Fowler?

I'd say he's too green for the Ryder Cup stage, plus I'd give preference to players who have won this year.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'd say he's too green for the Ryder Cup stage, plus I'd give preference to players who have won this year.

Maybe so, but he did well in that amatuer USA vs Europe event before he went pro?

Kyle Paulhus

Maybe so, but he did well in that amatuer USA vs Europe event before he went pro?

Didn't he beat Rory 1 on 1 in that?And Rory is one of Europe's main men this year, so why not Rickie for the U.S.?He's playing well enough.Maybe a team with plenty of fearless young players like A.K. and Rickie is exactly what's needed for the U.S. in this one.

I'd pick him ahead of Tiger.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

He's on the second tier with Tiger, Watney, Cink, Van Pelt, Moore, Verplank, Bohn, and Haas, who can easily supplant any of the short-list candidates with top-five finishes at Firestone and/or Whistling Straits.

The press conference quote..I will play my way onto the team....

Concerns me, I hope they dont give it to him just b/c of who he is. Reminds me of the lame MLB all star voting.

Would it be the biggest slap in the face if he didnt pick Tiger That would either send him into a tailspin or push him to the point of reclusion with his game. THE PLOT THICKENS WITH EVERY POOR OUTING!

It's really an academic question on whether Tiger deserves to be a captain's pick. The one thing he needs to be seriously considered (a first-page-of-the-leaderboard result at the PGA) will raise him above the threshold for an AQ spot.

If Tiger does well at the USPGA then he should get the pick for the Ryder Cup- my feeling is that he must qualify for the FedEx Cup playoffs first and then see what happens...but he has already just about qualified for the playoffs anyway surely with only next week remaining as a Q event? Anyway, Ricky Barnes, JB Holmes, Ricky Fowler, Bubb Watson, Fred Couples and maybe David Duval could be some of the captains picks. We will see.....

Let's look at some factors here:
Tiger isn't necessarily a "Team Player"
His recent play is something I would expect out of Someone outside the top 100 in the world
The United States won in 2008 with NO Tiger Woods
As of late, Tiger's play has been much more conservative. You almost can't watch a tournament where the announcers don't comment on his lack of agression, especially off the tee. You need a fiery agression in Match Play, making some of the younger players really look good as a captain's pick.
Tiger would be playing to prove that he's capable of good play, not for the good of his team/partner at the time.

Diablo. 10 degree, neutral. (R-Flex)
F-Speed 15.5 degree 3 Wood (R)
A70s 19 degree hybrid (R)
2009 CG-7 Tour Irons (3-PW) (R)
CG-14 52, 56, 60 degree wedges. (R)SeeMore FGP Putter (The charm of my bag) Gamer V2

Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!