IGNORED

Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever?

Cali
Note: This thread is 3285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Next year I will be in the market for some players irons.

I am not interested in getting the 'Newest" irons that come out, because i'm paying for them myself (im only 15)

But I know that there hasn't been much advancement in tour irons throughout the years. meaning the best your irons are probably not gonna be the most expensive

I will make a poll if i get enough suggestions for certain irons.

Thanks guys

Burner Superfast 9.5, Matrix S-Flex
Big Bertha 3 Wood (Old) : R Flex : 15.5 Degree
Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype : Javelin FX R Flex : 20 Degree
804.OS 3-PW, Pro 970 R Flex
CG 14 : 52 Degrees : Project X Wedge Flex Forged X Tour : 56 Degrees : Rusted Sedona Putter Pro V1 Ball

My vote would be wilson staff tour blades or macgregor vip's. They have the most pga wins.

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

I have tried MP-68's and Titleist 710 MB's (the newest and 'greatest' from two top blade makers)...hated them. I tried the Ping S57's and loved them...they will definitely be my first set of tour irons once I have the funds. I suggest trying everything you can get your hands on. You can find older versions of all 3 of these models for cheap. I know for ping the older model is the S59 (or the S58 if you want a little newer, the numbers go down as time goes on). I'm not sure what the Titleist and Mizuno models are.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

I can't think of any blades off the top of my head, but good luck!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

For the best blade Tour irons, I'd have to go w/the Staff FG-17. They were, and still are, one heck of a set of irons. For you though, I'd direct you at one of the more recent Mizuno's, like the MP-32 or MP-33. They are great clubs, abundant and you'll likely be able to get them at a very reasonable price.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

thanks guys, the only problem with this is that I would DEFINENTLY wanna try them out b4 i buy them, which is a problem with the older irons unless i get lucky and there in the used section in golf galaxy. thanks though, keep makin suggestions

Burner Superfast 9.5, Matrix S-Flex
Big Bertha 3 Wood (Old) : R Flex : 15.5 Degree
Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype : Javelin FX R Flex : 20 Degree
804.OS 3-PW, Pro 970 R Flex
CG 14 : 52 Degrees : Project X Wedge Flex Forged X Tour : 56 Degrees : Rusted Sedona Putter Pro V1 Ball

Love my Cleveland CG1 tours. Not much to compare them to though. I will say they are a ton more forgiving that the miura irons i hit a week ago.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

I love the S-57's, that is my current stick. I also played with a set of the MP-14's and MP-32's for years, however they are difficult to find in good shape. Look at a set of Ping S series

I have to agree about the s57 irons they are a great iron.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

The AP2's are the best overall iron out there for 0-10 handicaps, IMO. the 09 model could probably be had for around $600 brand new. But there are many options out there. Wilson staff pi5 irons are very good budget players irons if you can find them, and so are the s57's. As others have mentioned.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

God I hate this invented term "players' irons". Whee does it come from? From what I can glean, it's about hackers impressing other hackers in the car park. Just like all these guys who desperately search for a 2 iron to match their set, or claim to be able to hit it perfectly, despite there only being a handful left on tour. RAnt over (or just beginning)

There is no answer to your questions All you are getting is people saying waht irons they personally have or like and you can bet that many of these people do not have the opportunity to hit dozens of irons that they may very well love. So what is their "opinion" based on? Besides that, whay would you care what other people thinkl? You are the one who will be hitting them. For all we (or you) know, you might be best suited for an oversized cavity back iron. There are plenty of those on tour, by the way, and I'm pretty sutre tat everyone on tour is a "player". The other thing you need to be mindful of is that tere are a lot of "opinions" that rae not that at all, merely people parroting advertsing BS and trying to have a bag that looks like a PGA Tour player's. And again, these clubs may or may not suit them. As for you thought that the "best" irons are goiung to be the most expensive, that is not even close to the truth. You need to hit as many irons as you can. What anyone else thinks is totally irrelevant.
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

When I made my comment I knew about the new S56's...I haven't hit them, but I can't imagine a club feeling better than the S57's.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

God I hate this invented term "players' irons". Whee does it come from? From what I can glean, it's about hackers impressing other hackers in the car park. Just like all these guys who desperately search for a 2 iron to match their set, or claim to be able to hit it perfectly, despite there only being a handful left on tour. RAnt over (or just beginning)

Wow, is there really a need to go off like that... This is what this forum is for, to discuss different golf equipment and get other peoples opinions. On top of that, maybe you should really read the original post BEFORE you go off on it. If you would have read it, he says "But I know that there hasn't been much advancement in tour irons throughout the years. meaning the best your irons are probably

not gonna be the most expensive..." And by the term "players iron," I'm sure he means something like a muscle back blade or something with a shallow cavity. You know, something that isn't oversized or a "game improvement" iron. Obviously he is going to be the ones hitting them, but he wants to get some feedback... you know, get some ideas of what other people think are good clubs and then demo some of those. Seems to me like he's just getting a starting point. On top of that, the kid is only 15, so give him a break.
  • Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are A TON of amazing blades that have been made over the past decade...or two. From my experience, the best blades I've ever hit were as follows:

- My grandfather's old Spalding Tour Professionals (grooves were pretty shot since they were 30-40 years old, but man they felt good!)
- Nike Forged Blades
- Cleveland CG Tour
- Mizuno MP33

There are several others I've played, but personally wouldn't recommend.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

I agree with VMAN on those Hogan Apexes, but Ping S59s are pretty good too.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Actually the "invented term" player irons was invented by the OEM's to designate or classify a non-offset iron with a smaller overall club head, thinner bounce to increase a "player's" ability to work a ball. They all use "game improvement" and "super game improvement".

Now that you mentioned it, I have had the opportunity to try dozens of "player" irons when settling on my last set of sticks, I even went so far as to try the irons with several shafts. So does that make my thoughts any more or less valid??? Why are the "purest" the most negative crotchety ole curmudgeons?

Now back to some opinions. Go get fitted, learn what lie will best work for you. Like I said, I love the S57's. When I was trying to make my decesion it was between Titleist AP2's and S57's. These and my Callaway TA X-Prototype Blades are my favorite clubs out there. Since you mentioned the budget, look for a set of S59's or S58's, I prefer the feel of the 59's over the 58's.
The AP2's are fantastic, but typically pricy. upside is you can find them with the project x shafts already in them, but this is in the $900 range.
I also liked the Callaway x22 tour and Cleveland CG7 tour.

Good luck, and I hope they treat you well

Note: This thread is 3285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!