IGNORED

Gamesmanship with Buddies

trickymicky69
Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A popped up drive: "Nice wedge"

THats one I forgot that I pulled off on my friend the other day. Tee'ed off witha 3 wood and popped it up...

my response: "thats a nice flopshot you hit there"

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a playing buddy hits a poor shot, I'll sometimes tell them its due to their loft. "Oh, I'm not getting it in the air enough?". "No", I respond, "your LOFT, your Lack Of ******* Talent!"

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Most of our trash talk is pretty personalized. We occasionally say the stuff like “bring a shovel” (in sand).

When a guy leaves any kind of par or better putt short, we go into the Family Guy’s Stewie; “Mommy, momma, momma, Mom, Louis”.

We play a game called Snake that involves not wanting to 3-putt. If a guy is on the green but far away we just hiss at him incessantly.

One of our normal golf buddies crushes the ball. When he occasionally gets out-driven by one of us we continually ask him where his ball is. "Where's your ball man? Is it up with mine? I can't find it. It must be well after mine right?"

At one point, a guy who hits long for some reason decided to hit his 5 iron on a 145 yard Par 3. We didn't know he did this so right after impact we said, "looks nice, what did you hit?" When he responded "a soft 5", I said "I take it back. That's a terrible shot". Now, anytime he hits a pretty shot its "nice shot. Soft 5?", even if it's obviously his driver.

When we were younger, and very stupid, we used to “Terry Tate” each other. Randomly after a nice drive, if the guy held his pose a bit too long, one of our buddies who played 1AA football would just form tackle the guy in his pose.

Terry tate's are classic!

I still don't get why he would ever want to hit a 5... at 145 lol

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

A good one that got me from one of my friends last month. I was 3 under my friend with 2 to play. On the 17th tee he tells me "Did I ever tell you the story about how I came back from 3 down on the last two holes to win?" Absolutely ROCKED my head and we ended up tying. Gave him props for that one.

Buddy today hit into water on a par 3 and after the hole my other friend goes: "Well, could have been a par had you not Michael Phelps'd it"

We always use the usual banter: don't top it, there's nothing between you and the pin but water, etc. I love it.

On of my all time faves though is this: guy slices the hell out of the ball into the next fairway "You're in the fairway"

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Lot's of funny stuff here. Nothing of value to add. I think my favorite was "don't strain your uterus".

A friend of mine, drunk at a best ball tourney, actually walked up the 18th and finished the hole in his boxers when his drive didn't make the ladies tee.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

thinning a pitch through the green - 'SPIN'
'play the divot, its in better shape'
sliced into the next fairway - 'nice fade'
duffed a shot - 'nice lay up' & 'ohhhh ive lost it in the air, you see where it went?'
missed from inside 5 feet - 'nice 2-putt'

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Some terminology for employment in social games:

"A Rock Hudson" -- Putt looked straight, but wasn't.

"A James Joyce" -- Putt was impossible to read.

"A Princess Grace" -- Should have used driver.

"A Princess Di" -- Shouldn't have used driver.

"A Saddam Hussein" -- From one bunker to another.

"A Ted Kennedy" -- Into the water and jumps out.

"A Sonny Bono" -- Straight into the trees.

"A condom" -- Safe, but didn't feel very good.

"A Brazilian" -- Shaved the hole.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually like to say cocky things. It'll mess my buddies up because they really want to beat me after that. Something like this after a good shot:

"I'm jealous of you guys, cause you get to watch me play."

After a putt/shot comes up woefully short:
"Hey sweetheart... your slip is showing." or...
"Is your girdle too tight?"

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My regular group(s) are not that creative. We're more mean (in a friendly way) than anything else.

When someone hits a poor shot - "What the f*** was that? Maybe you should just sit this one out."

Alternatively, saying "Here we go..." after a bad tee shot is a nice way to imply an inevitable blow up hole.

When the teaching pros we play with hit a good shot - "Big deal, it's your job. No one congratulates me for doing taxes."

When someone hits an unlikely outstanding shot to win/halve (which tends to happen quite often in our match play situations) - "You're a di**." (only works when said by the person who would have otherwise won).

I was playing with a kid I didn't know that well in college once and I chunked the life out of a full swing 60 degree wedge from th middle of the fairway. He proceeded to walk ahead, grab th divot (which was the size of a small child) study it momentarily and say,"Hey, does this look like Jesus to anyone else?"

Tough to concentrate after that one.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

After knocking a drive well past one of my playing partners, I will often look at him seriously and say:

"Did you hit 3-iron off this tee?"

Driver: G5 w/ ProLaunch Blue (Stiff)
3-wood: Rapture 14 degree w/ TFC 909 (Stiff)
5-wood: G5 w/ ProLaunch Blue (Stiff)

Irons: 4-GW G10 w/AWT Stiff Maroon DotWedges Vokey 56.12 and 60.10Putter: Redwood Anser 2 Green DotBall: ProV1

When someone hits a poor shot - "What the f*** was that? Maybe you should just sit this one out."

Pretty much our "guy humor" as well... fun mean.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Ball falls off the tee: "3."

Whenever my one regular partner hits a fantastic shot: "Why don't you do that all the time?"

Of course farting on the backswing of your partner occasionally is good for a few laughs.

And whenever someone yells 'fore' in our general direction we make it a priority of ours to immediately start running around with our hands on our heads and then end it by diving somewhere on the ground. It usually is met with laughter by the guy who hit the shot and probably takes some stress off of his terrible shot.

Some funny stuff. I was surprised it took 6 pages before "farting" reared its ugly head. Definetely a guy thing.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Nice lay up (when they hit a fat shot)
Does your husband have a tee time tomorrow morning too alice? (when they keep putts short)
ALLLLLIIIIGATORS ARE AMONG US (when they flub putts)
Watch out for the sand (when they're hitting over water)

Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!