IGNORED

How long should your driver be?

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a question on how long the length of my driver should be? I am about 5' 8.5" tall. I feel like my driver is a tad too long, but Im not sure. Ive only been golfing for the last 2 months and this by far the hardest club in the bag for me.

Hoping some1 can help me or can refer me to a website where I can find out ideal lengths for each particular club.

Thanks

In my bag:
R9 Driver 10.5 - R-Flex - Graphite
R9 3 & 5 Woods - R-Flex - Graphite
Tight Lies GT 2-8 Irons - R-Flex - Steel
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

My R9 is cut down a bit. Taylormade makes their drivers far too long.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

The correct answer is 45.1289403 cm. Wait... I need the length of your arm span, height, torso, legs, fingers, elbow to wrist, shoulder to elbow, and of course the elasticity for your tendons.

RC

height = 5' 8.5"
arm span = 5' 8.75"
elbow to wrist = 11"
shoulder to elbow = 10.25"
leg 35" or so

In my bag:
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

top of the grip, to the very top of the club head is just over 43"

In my bag:

Depends on your height, arm length and swing I suppose. Getting fit is probably the best. Don't always opt for the longest ones, they tend to be harder to control.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on your FLOOR TO ARM WRIST measurement. I'm 5'10" and my driver length is 44.5". I was fitted about 2 years ago.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Depends on your FLOOR TO ARM WRIST measurement. I'm 5'10" and my driver length is 44.5". I was fitted about 2 years ago.

about 31.5"

In my bag:

I´m 6 1 and I use a 44.5" driver.
Shorter drivers are much easier to control.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Drivers usually range from about 44 to 46 inches. If your that new to the game then the driver will feel like the hardest club to hit because it is. The driver is the most difficult club to hit for beginners and high handicappers. If your driver is not unusually long then you shouldn't be too concerned with it. Many people swear that a shorter than average driver is better because it allows for more control. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and your own personal swing. I am shorter than average at 5'5" but I play a 46" driver. I really don't have any problems keeping it in the fairway and the longer shaft gives me some much needed distance as a shorter/lighter person than average. It's all about learning a proper swing and then practice like crazy. This will create control with any driver.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

5'9", always play with whatever length of driver I got, never had a issue. Driver has always been realatively the best club in my bag. I don't really believe in clubs or lie or length making a big difference. I think having the right shafts makes the most difference.

When you've assumed a comfortable driver stance and have a comfortable driver grip, the shaft should be long enough for the sweet spot to be parallel to the golf ball.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I went through a lot of trouble to register just to laugh at your joke 2 years later, Hammer 4!  Love the yawning dog :0)

But i arrived here through a Google search looking for the answer, after being told by my pro that I need to stand closer to my ball, and I kept hitting the ground.  Guess I'll go get fitted -- it only makes sense.

Edited by Soooopergenius
forgot to comment on the yawning dog and saw I could

On 8/7/2010 at 2:01 PM, No1CeltsFan said:

about 31.5"

Like Ronald said, your wrist to floor measurement is the proper parameter to look at. If your measurement is accurate, you may need a shorter than off the shelf driver. But make sure that measurement is accurate! I stress this because it can be a little hard to do on your own, and make sure you're measuring to the proper place. Place your hand in front of your face looking at your palm. Flex your wrist just slightly towards you. The first, BIG crease in your wrist just below the heel of your hand is your measuring point. Stand erect with your shoulders square, and take the measurement.

I did mine by myself with a yardstick, and with a friend to verify. In both instances it came out exactly 33 5/8". I'm 5'9", but have short arms. In dress shirts I take a 32" sleeve.

There are two schools of thought here. For hundreds of years the "standard" driver was 43.5" long, It was thought ideal. That was before graphite shafts and hollow, metal heads.

I think what you need to do is just start looking around, and trying different length drivers to see what feels good to you and what you can swing well. Maybe go swing some used clubs at the local golf shop. I've cut an inch off of many different drivers. I, too, think that many modern drivers are made much too long!

I'd remind everyone that, in his heyday, Tiger Woods played a 43.5" driver with a stainless steel shaft! True he was a consummate golfer, but that configuration seemed to work quite well for him.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!