IGNORED

Shaft PUREing, Puring, or Spining

Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. What is shaft PUREing? Is it something you should do (or have done) whenever you are buying or building a club or is it a waste of time and money?

Many thanks.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

Conterversial topic, it's tough to say.

There's definately something to it that's physically demonstrable. In my experience, certain shaft companies tend to have "less" of a spine than others.

However, the only place you're going to be able to truly visualize puring benefits is on a frequency meter, and you don't play golf on a frequency meter.

In the end, a good swing with an unpured shaft and a good swing with a pured shaft yield the same results for me. I wouldn't pay more than $10 to have a shaft pured, personally. But the most important piece of equipment is between your ears, so if puring gives you piece of mind, by all means do it.

Greens, etc.... here's an article we had on the subject that, hopefully, may help. Believe me, it makes a difference...

http://thesandtrap.com/archives/bag_...mate_tweak.php

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No question, I have my woods SST PURED. Have not done my steel irons though.

Very valuable to me and my head when on a tight driving hole to be confident in the consistency of my 3 wood to go right where I am aiming. Now if I could just get my putter PURED . . .

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Thanks to all. This is helpful.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

I think its a good idea for a driver, since that club loads and unloads in the air with no ground to stablilze it at impact. Anything to ensure uniform shaft reactions is a plus for the driver with its low loft. For the rest of the clubs, it may not be a big deal. Have it done at purchase, its hard to get it done afterwards at $50 plus a club.

• 9 months later...
Hey guys. What is shaft PUREing? Is it something you should do (or have done) whenever you are buying or building a club or is it a waste of time and money?

According to Cleveland Golf (see

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/faq_irons.html ) "there is no data that can prove spining (or puring) actually works." Quote: Q: What does it mean to pure a shaft? Is this the same as spine align or frequency? A: Yes, they are the same thing. Some people believe that by orienting the spine of the shaft in a certain way they will improve the performance of the golf club. However, there is no data that can prove spining (or puring) actually works. Due to this lack of data, Cleveland Golf does not offer this service.

• 1 year later...
There isn't much that's needed to be sorted out in my bag (probably change 3 wood shaft & replace a club with a gap wedge).

But since I had my driver shaft pured, i felt a difference that's incredible.

I was wondering if anyone had their iron shafts pured. Since I have PX's I was wondering if it's even worth doing. The px's are frequency matched which is supposed to provide a consistent stiffness if you will. so would i notice a huge gain in spending that $25 a club to do it? or is it a waste?
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I have seen impact labels from an iron byron. The imapct marks from the pured shaft were almost dead on center. The unpured shafts showed some off center hits (but it wasn't that much off center.)

If you are putting a $100 shaft in a club, the extra $10 is probably money well spent to get as much as you can out of your shaft.

If you are putting a $20 shaft in a club, you are probably better off spending the extra $10 on getting a better shaft.

I view puring as an icing on the cake type of thing.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I thought it was BS as well UNTIL I bought a spine finder. I took my irons apart and spined the shafts. Once you see the shafts SNAP into position you get it.

Picture your shaft as a 2 x 4. Which way does it flex the easiest? Which is the most difficult?

look at it like a clock

If all of your shafts are oriented at 12 and 6 (easiest) they flex natural. remember the 2 x 4
If at 3 and 9 it's against the the "grain" and difficult to flex

those are the 2 extremes. When shafts are inserted randomly you get all of the variations and luck of the draw.

I have done my irons but not woods as removing and reinstalling graphite shafts is risky and I hit my woods well. One thing to consider is that when you spine your shafts to neutral they may feel softer than they did while unspined.

if you spine your own you will be amazed how they snap into position

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

• 1 month later...
I exactly is this? What does this do? Is there a major difference in results? Did you get the shaft the same day or did you have to wait to get it? I have a local Golfsmith that I shop at, do they give you the shaft the same day you order it? Any help would be great. Thanks

I exactly is this? What does this do? Is there a major difference in results? Did you get the shaft the same day or did you have to wait to get it? I have a local Golfsmith that I shop at, do they give you the shaft the same day you order it? Any help would be great. Thanks

It's a way to make your wallet lighter!

Go to

www.sstpure.com for more info. Basically, what puring does is provide a constant flex in the shaft as its set to a certain CPM. A proper fitting will dial the shaft to the exact flex and puring it will lock you into that number. I can only speak for myself. I noticed a difference and it's not expensive: $60. I did not do this at Golfsmith, though. You should be able to get your driver back in the same day.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Puring or spining is simply aligning the "pure" flex of the shaft in some orientation with the club face. Here is the best simplification of the process. The shaft is held at the butt and the tip is flexed in one plane. When the shaft is released is oscillates in and elliptical or oblong circular pattern. Puring simply finds the plane at which a shaft oscillates in a straight line. In reality the best shaft "those used by Tiger" oscillate in a straight line. I have had two complete sets of irons, and drivers pured. My local shop has given me the charts from every shaft. About half of my shafts are very close to oscillating in a straight line. A few of my shafts are marginal. From what I understand the factories go through thousands of shafts and make sure the factory players get the best shafts.

In reality it is about consistency… If you want your shafts to flex the same each and every swing, among every club, get it done. If you think it doesn’t matter your wasting money.

Secondary thought. Obviously during the swing the shaft will flex in a couple of different planes. So there is another school that is questioning what orientation the spine is aligned.

Driver: Bull 5000 10.5 FujiKura Vista Tour Stiff
Irons:MX25 5-PW. TT Black Gold
WoodGreat Big Bertha 4
HybridCLK Aldila Hybrid Stiff 20 and 23
Wedges: MPT RP Rifle Spinner Wedge 53 and 60Putter: Todd Sones GullaneBallHX Hot

• 2 months later...
I'm trying to make my sinc most consistent possible, by all means...and thinking about puring my shafts. I use s300 now and tried out rifle6.0 and loved it.
do you guys think getting new rifle6.0 and puring them is worth?

S82 staff bag:
 910 D3 8.5 PX 7A3 | 909h 15&19 VooDoo S

MP-62 3-PW KBS C-taper S+

8620-DD 53 | 8620-SS 58 KBS Tour S

Select Notchback

Getting fitted for the right shaft is worth it at any handicap, puring the shafts is probably not worth it at 17. There have been studies showing that there is really negligible difference.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

I'm playing professionally and I don't have my shafts "pured," and I'm doing just fine, lol. I think that shaft puring falls under the same category as matching swingweights for all your clubs (lol, which I do). It all comes down to personal preference, and opinion. Some say it works, some say it doesn't matter. Find two identical clubs, one with a pured shaft, and one without and see which you like better. My two cents.

In the Bag (right now)...

Cleveland Tour Issue 310UL* - Miyazaki Kusala Blue 83X

Taylormade R9 TP Tour Issue 13* - Diamana Blue 63X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 17* - Matrix Altus 80X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 19* - Matrix Altus 80X

Nike Forged Blades - 4-W - ProjectX 6.5

Nike VR Black V-Rev 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Taylormade Penta TP3 ball

There is a reason it isn't offered as standard by the large majority of, if by any, manufacturers. There is no concrete proof it has any significant beneficial effect on club performance or consistency. I suppose there is the mental factor, in that knowing your clubs are pured could make you more consistent with them.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!