IGNORED

Shaft PUREing, Puring, or Spining

Note:Β This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

If you are referring to actual "pureing" as in the trademarked process via HotStixx program, then it can get costly because they are committed to a minimum price range to charge.

However, if you are referring to having a clubfitter spine/FLO the shafts, then the charges are usually embedded in the total charge to reshaft the clubs.

Obviously the clubs are definitely more consistent when done...but since the players swing are never consistent, that value to having it done lies with the player.

Good luck with your decision!

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

If your irons are spine aligned they should seek the neutral position when placed under force (hitting turf), which should give the greatest chance (all things being equal) of square impact.

I have a spine tool, shaft puller, etc.... Seems to make a difference to me...or maybe I'm just bored?

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I suppose this could just be mental factor however 9 out 10 guys who got their stix *pured* did notice difference in performance.
I guess I'll get this done for my next set (successor of mp-67s )

Thanks all for your comments, folks.

Β S82 staff bag:
Β 910 D3 8.5 PX 7A3 | 909h 15&19 VooDoo S

Β MP-62 3-PW KBS C-taper S+

Β 8620-DD 53 | 8620-SS 58 KBS Tour S

Β Select Notchback

I'm trying to make my sinc most consistent possible, by all means...and thinking about puring my shafts. I use s300 now and tried out rifle6.0 and loved it.

I agree with a previous poster who said, "at a 17 hc I don't think spining will make any difference" and getting fitted to your clubs is far more important than spining.

As I understand it puring and spining are the same thing except puring is much more accurate and FLO (flat line oscillation) is approximately 90* from the spine. In short its easier and faster to find the spine of a shaft than the FLO, well at least for me. All shafts, and I mean ALL shafts have a spine. It may not show up very well, but its there. So when you pure a shaft, you put a load on it and rotate it in a spining device, (very easy to make, just Google it), until it doesn't rotate easally anymore, this is the spine; mark the spine. When you put the club head on make sure the spine is at 12:00 o'clock in relation to the club head; (I put all of my shafts steel or graphite at 12:00 o'clock). What the above does is makes sure the club head comes back to the nueteral position and 90* to the ball after the shaft unloads, in this case when the club head meets the ball; so its just about the consistancy of your ball striking. So to really benefit from this you need a consistant swing. Just cuz shafts may be frequency matched, like Riflesk, doens't mean they are spined and OEM's don't spine. My suggestion would be, 1. get fitted, 2. practice / play and when you get to a 10 hc decide for yourself--one last thing, it is very inexpensive to do it yourself; if you have a club maker do it, it will probably be over 120 bux after all is said and done. Good luck and welcome to the game.

ok so for a guy thats new to the whole super -techy SIDE of golf...what the hell is puring your shafts. What do they do to "pure" the shafts and what is it "suppossed" to do?

Help a brother out...

• 3 months later...
Okay, so my driver shaft shattered and I went to get it replaced and the guy talked me into getting the new shaft pured.

What are your thoughts on this? Worth 20 bucks? Will it help a 15 handicap?

I had my Epic shaft pured and I can tell the difference because I know what I'm looking for. It allows my shaft to bend at the perfect spot which allows it to be more consistence at the top of my swing and at impact. I would say it is definately worth it.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18Β°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52Β°, 56Β°, 58Β° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

What is puring a shaft????

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

What is puring a shaft????

The idea is that part of the wall of a shaft is not at the same spot in every iron, except by luck. This is to identify that part and make it consistent. GolfSmith, for example, offers this for some fee with any club purchase. I've heard other places say it's smoke and mirrors. I have no idea whether or not it's real; I'm just reporting what I believe the idea behind it to be.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I "Think" it is similiar or the same as spine aligning the shafts. Which will keep the clubhead at the neutral position when the shaft is under stress (Square) to your swing path. It identifies the weakest part of the shaft, which the shaft will will want to go to under stress (flex on downswing, and added flex when the clubhead impacts turf)

It should lead to more consistentcy through the set as far as ball flight and on line shots.

I spine aligned my irons and driver and noticed the difference

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion - NO, it's not worth it. I have a Mizuno MP-001 460 driver the a "pured" shaft. I think it's gone too far. I'll give anybody shooting a 5 or under the benefit of the doubt, but I would be willing to bet that you could conduct a test of identical pured and non-pured shaft, and virtually nobody could tell the difference.
Whats in my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460
Fairway/Hybrid: 15 & 19 degree Nickent 3dx Utility
Irons: MacGregor M565
Wedges: Cleveland 900 RTG 54 & 58 degreePutter: Odyssey DFX 2 ball

The average golfer probably can not tell the difference between pured and not pured. Pros can. I bet you give Tiger 10 drivers with the exact same shaft and ask him to pick the two he likes best... I bet the ones he pickes are pured.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

The average golfer probably can not tell the difference between pured and not pured. Pros can. I bet you give Tiger 10 drivers with the exact same shaft and ask him to pick the two he likes best... I bet the ones he pickes are pured.

I bet all 10 are pured and spined and frequencied... :)

What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18Β°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52Β°, 56Β°, 58Β° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• 1 year later...
Is shaft puring a similar argument to spin balancing golf balls? Is it worth it to do it?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is shaft puring a similar argument to spin balancing golf balls? Is it worth it to do it?

Try searching the forum too, this has been discussed recently. Puring a shaft is installing it such that the unwanted displacement of the clubhead is minimized.

In the Bag: TaylorMadeΒ R11 TPΒ - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - VokeyΒ SM 52Β -Β Vokey SM 60Β - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1xΒ 

On the Computer: Β Analyzr ProΒ 
Β 

Shaft puring is simply shaft alignment to help stabilize the shaft during the swing. No shaft is perfectly symmetrical, so shafts can be inconsistently when flexed during a swing. There will always be a section of the shaft which is most resistant to bending (the spine). My take on alignment is to align the shaft so that the spine is at 12 oclock to assist in the "droop" produced when the shaft is released during the swing.

"The more I practice, the luckier I get" -Ben Hogan

Note:Β This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!