IGNORED

Tiger Woods to go with Sean Foley

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Tiger needed Foley to tell him to keep his head still and a glove under his armpit? Wow.

Really? Do you really think it's just as simple as those two things? Comon now....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watch this pretty interesting.

Wow. Just wow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

He still has work to do, but the progress is coming...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He still has work to do, but the progress is coming...

I will have to look at older Tiger woods swing, pre-foley, but the pictures above seem to be just Tiger's swing in general. He has always had great positions, impact, etc.. so even though they match up to the guy on the right, curious how his older swing (pre foley) matches up?

• Administrator
I will have to look at older Tiger woods swing, pre-foley, but the pictures above seem to be just Tiger's swing in general. He has always had great positions, impact, etc.. so even though they match up to the guy on the right, curious how his older swing (pre foley) matches up?

Different P8, his head would tilt back to fake the secondary axis tilt, and that's from a head position that'd be further off the ball (to his right) at P4, etc.

"The pictures just seem to be Tiger's swing in general" shows (to me) a lack of appreciation for the nuances of the golf swing. I'm not claiming this swing is the be-all, end-all proof positive of anything... but several pieces you can see here are indicative of the work he's put in and will be putting in this off-season. Additionally, it's another way of showing that S&T; isn't quite as "odd" as people think it is... which is why I posted it in this thread.

Different P8, his head would tilt back to fake the secondary axis tilt, and that's from a head position that'd be further off the ball (to his right) at P4, etc.

not a lack of appreciation, but definitely a lack of technical analysis that you are able to bring to the conversation, such as referencing p8, p4. I can recognize the nuences of the golf swing, just have trouble wrapping my thoughts into words sometimes.

interesting read. Yea, Sean's world will never be the same...and I do wonder if in the long run, the relationship will truly impact his teachings with Mahan, Ohair, and Ames.

Kind of curious if Tiger is a very demanding client (even with Butch or Haney) or if he happens to be painted in a bad light. I do hear he is quite cheap when it comes to paying for swing lessons.

"Cheap" can mean different things to different people. I'm guessing Haney didn't have to worry about money when he was with Tiger. :)

Well, I believe Butch was even quoted at one point saying in all his years he was with Tiger, he was only paid $50,000. So yea, if I was the personal swing coach for like 10 years (he coached him in college I believe and earlier) to Tiger Woods, and given Tiger was worth like $100 million or something...$50k is a bit cheap :)

but there is a reason I think that people like butch and haney need all these other side projects was because tiger wasn't bank rolling them as much as people like us believe. And its not really a secret that Tiger is a cheap individual. Maybe he felt if you are in his inner circle, that is the value you get because you are in the realms of "greatness" :)

Well, I believe Butch was even quoted at one point saying in all his years he was with Tiger, he was only paid $50,000. So yea, if I was the personal swing coach for like 10 years (he coached him in college I believe and earlier) to Tiger Woods, and given Tiger was worth like $100 million or something...$50k is a bit cheap :)

50,000? wow most people make more than that in a year at their daily jobs?

• Administrator
I'm fairly certain Hank said he'd been paid for a quarter and that number was $100k or $500k or something back when there was talk Tiger was moving on. Hank said something about "I've already been paid..." and a number was slipped in somewhere.

It wasn't a low number. Again, $100k or $500k or something.

Anyway... who cares? Hank's better off. So is Butch. Without Tiger they wouldn't be as "elite" as they supposedly are.

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger's latest from his blog. (He has a blog now?)

I've worked with Sean Foley a few times since the BMW Championship, and I'll work with him again this weekend. I get more comfortable with each passing session. More than anything, I can understand what the fix is going to be after a poor shot. That's the biggest thing. I can get it to where I'm hitting it good, but also when I hit it poorly, how do I fix it right away. That's part of learning a new system, just like it was with Butch Harmon and Hank Haney. To be honest, I'm picking up Sean's swing changes faster than I thought I would, but I still have a long way to go. I'm definitely hitting the ball farther than I ever have, just because the transfer of energy is more efficient. We're just going to keep working. Sometimes he has me hit shots barefoot, just to work my balance. I've done that before. The only difference is I used to practice barefoot to work on my sock tan line. Now, it's for a different reason.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Tiger's latest from his blog. (He has a blog now?)

He might be onto something with that sock tan line thing...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Here's a vid of a swing from what looks to be a recent practice round at Celtic Manor:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!