IGNORED

2010 PGA Championship

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...another links course, and the last major of the year. we've seen some not so exciting play in the other three, with some exception at the masters, but i'm still holding out for a shoot out between two superstars. i'd love to see ernie and tiger on sunday, personally. but who knows what will happen.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For months, I've thought that this PGA Championship was going to be Lee Westwood's time to win his first major, but he had to ruin everything by withdrawing.

My gut is telling me the winner will be an American in his 20s. Take your pick as to whom.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Whistling Straits has more sand than the Sahara. I'm picking Luke Donald.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...another links course, and the last major of the year. we've seen some not so exciting play in the other three, with some exception at the masters, but i'm still holding out for a shoot out between two superstars. i'd love to see ernie and tiger on sunday, personally. but who knows what will happen.

Whistling straits isnt a links course. American "links" courses never play like a true links anyway since it never seems like we can get the firm and fast conditions over here.

Whistling Straits has more sand than the Sahara. I'm picking Luke Donald.

Not a bad pick. I'm hesitant to designate him as a favorite, though, because Whistling Straits (like all Pete Dye courses) demands the best of a player off the tee, and Luke's 179th on tour in total driving.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Whistling straits isnt a links course. American "links" courses never play like a true links anyway since it never seems like we can get the firm and fast conditions over here.

how is it not a links course? not all the links in britain and ireland are as firm and fast as st. andrews.

how is it not a links course? not all the links in britain and ireland are as firm and fast as st. andrews.

No amount of sand that can be trucked into a site can exactly replicate the pedology of the British linksland. Whistling Straits is an ersatz links.

By the strict definition, links courses "link" the sea to the land. Whistling Straits fits that definition. Links courses are also characterized by few (if any) trees, lots of mounds and fescue, and more of an opportunity to keep the ball on the ground around the greens. Whistling Straights also fits that definition too. You could also add in that they are firm and fast, which all major championship golf courses are during tournament week, and that weather plays a big part in how the golf course plays. Just going by the name of the course (and the logo from 2004's PGA), I would say Whistling Straits fits that part too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

By the strict definition, links courses "link" the sea to the land. Whistling Straits fits that definition. Links courses are also characterized by few (if any) trees, lots of mounds and fescue, and more of an opportunity to keep the ball on the ground around the greens. Whistling Straights also fits that definition too. You could also add in that they are firm and fast, which all major championship golf courses are during tournament week, and that weather plays a big part in how the golf course plays. Just going by the name of the course (and the logo from 2004's PGA), I would say Whistling Straits fits that part too.

You wont see nearly as many shots bounce in at whistling straits as you will see in the open. Ive played many a "links" style courses and they are all quasilinks. Good luck trying to bounce the ball in to a front pin and have the ball check up in the fringe/fairway. Also the tour plays the rough up which doesnt seem to be the case around the greens on links courses so good luck trying to play the ball low coming out of that stuff.

All I know is my 1st trip to the straits and I had several "WOW" moments ....

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

I know this course layout, and its going to come down to who can make the most saves, therefore the player that has the best short game. Phil Mickelson will take this one, his second major of the year, and claim #1 in the world. Drama at its finest.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

I love the uspga championship, it is alway the most exciting major I think. Over here(uk) they are showing the 2008 pga championship official film, although Im irish and I loved that harrington won at the same time I feel horrible for garcia. He really did hit some stunning shots on reflection, and that lip out at carnoustie on the 18th, he really is the major heartbreak kid! I know he can come across a little sulky but wow that finishing position in his swing makes up for all lol!!! I hope he does well. Rory mcilroy will make his major break through this week I feel if he is gets back to his usual form with the big stick.

I know this course layout, and its going to come down to who can make the most saves, therefore the player that has the best short game. Phil Mickelson will take this one, his second major of the year, and claim #1 in the world. Drama at its finest.

Padraig Harrington is playing his way back into form, finally.2 weeks ago at the Irish open he put in the best short game display I've ever seen.Commentators were still raving about it at Firestone.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Padraig Harrington is playing his way back into form, finally.2 weeks ago at the Irish open he put in the best short game display I've ever seen.Commentators were still raving about it at Firestone.

Yeah it was incredible alright, I dont mean to cause an international incident here but I this harrington has a better short game than phil, of course phil plays astonishing flashy shots now and then, but clutch up and downs or pretty straight forward shots around the green harringtons the man. I dunno if people just pretend not to see it but phil does make a mess of the easier shots around the green time to time.........Im not looking forward to the responses lol but I think phils special shots tend to draw attention away from his mistakes.

fyi... phil doesn't have the best short game. granted, he can hit the flashy shots and sometimes pull them off. but he's also the only guy who even tries such silly shots.

• Administrator
and more of an opportunity to keep the ball on the ground around the greens. Whistling Straights also fits that definition too.

Unfortunately it doesn't really. The grass and soil don't work for bouncing the ball like they do on true links courses.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You wont see nearly as many shots bounce in at whistling straits as you will see in the open.

Unfortunately it doesn't really. The grass and soil don't work for bouncing the ball like they do on true links courses.

Alright, alright, that one was a stretch. I was going by pictures I saw of the course on the internet, where the grass around the greens was more closely mowed. Boyder's pics are much different from what I had seen.

But I stand by the rest of it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Thanks for the pics Boyder. You have more?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!