IGNORED

Blade vs Mallet Putters

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been using a blade-style putter for over a season (sig line). I like its looks (how it sets up eye-wise). However, I have been having some stuggles with putting a consistent movement into it - the head is a bit light, and I have been manufacturing speed vs. allowing the head to generate its own speed.

I have tried other putters both on the course and in a few pro shops, and the mallet style feels better from a head weight perspective. As I practice to groove a more consistent putting stroke, the mallet may become my new style (I like the Odyssey line, so the Tour brand mallet (like the #9) maybe the next new toy purchased).

It took over a season of trial and error - my suggestion is to demo as many brands and styles that you can to find the right flatstick for you.

I have tried a couple mallet putters, and just could never get the speed right with them, for me, they had no feel. But I have friends that play them religiously and love them. I think it all comes down to what feels right to you.

I had a similar experience as Bullitt5339. I just recently switched from a mallet back to a blade. I had been using the mallet for about 3 years. I tend to do much better with distance - especially on lag putts - with a blade. With the mallet, I tend to be more accurate on short putts because I find it easier to stay on line. In the end, I decided I'd rather work on keeping my stroke straight on a blade than trying to figure out how to better gauge distance with a mallet. There are drills to keep your stroke straight that I can do in my living room. The distance part I thought would be harder. I also got a blade on the heavier side which helps keep it straight for me as well.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I used a 2-ball putter though high school, recently I switched to a Ping D66 iWi. Blades have the CoG closer to the ball while mallets have it closer to the back of the club head...meaning mallets will have a greater MOI, and therefore the ball will come off more hot than with a blade. I had a problem blowing the ball past the hole, so I switched to a blade to deaden the speed. I'd rather have a car that doesn't hit 60mph by just looking at the gas pedal, if you know what I mean. Of course there are some people who would rather take that car and put a V8 in it...speed freaks.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

It's what I am used to, I hate change and I don't like all that metal behind the striking surface to distract me. Silly but thats my mindset. Just like I prefer the traditional 460cc clubhead on a driver than these the square or the ones that are shaped like a stingray (Cobra). Just doesnt look right in my minds eye at address.

Home Course Fairfield Greens
In my Bag Boy Revolver bag...
Driver: Tour Burner 43" REAX 60 gram shaft 13 degree
Fairway: X Tour 3 metal 15 degree
Hybrid: 5H 26 degreeIrons: X-22 5 thru PWWedges: Jaws 60, 52Putter: Tour White Hot #2 Center Shaft 33 inchesBall: ProV1

i've been using blade style putters my entire golf life. i use my bettinardi bc1 now which i do love...but i recently had a chance to play around with the scotty cameron california del mar...which is somewhat of a half mallet style putter and my god thats a beautiful putter.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I have many putter over the years, I currently playing SC Newport 2 and Yonex ADX blade putters, I have used most recently a two ball putter, and Never compromise mallet putters, I had an alignment problem and since solved this problem and can use any putter and the blades putters are working for me, I usually have under 30 putts per round of 18 holes.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If there were a universally better putter style, it would be in use everywhere. The variations in putter along the pro tour tells us that there isn't a universal correct one.

I find shorter putts easier with my blade-style, but I am considering getting a mallet-style and practicing the short ones enough with it. I do find distance control easier will mallets, and I'm hitting more greens (and finding myself farther from pins on first putt as a result) lately, so I'm entertaining this switch.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right now I play with a blade putter (Scotty Laguna Two) and I love it... Before that it was a Odyssey Two Ball and I did really like that one as well... However, I found myself thinking too much with the Two Ball so I made the switch to the blade. Honestly though, I've always gone back and forth, I've used other Odyssey Mallets (DF 330 and Rossie, if I remember correctly) as well as a Scotty Bullseye and a Ping Anser type putter.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

If there were a universally better putter style, it would be in use everywhere. The variations in putter along the pro tour tells us that there isn't a universal correct one.

That - except completely opposite on both counts.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That - except completely opposite on both counts.

I assume just for the second paragraph, and not to my note about the lack of a universal putter on Tour?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I assume just for the second paragraph, and not to my note about the lack of a universal putter on Tour?

Yeah - my distance control is better with a blade and my aim is better with a mallet.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have an arcing putting stroke (open to closed through impact) with a heavy putter you will tend to be a little open at impact, so a blade might be a better idea, while on the other hand if you have the straight back and straight through stroke a heavier putter will tend to keep the putter face straight. This is not a perfect system just a common phenomenon. I have a straight back straight through stroke and rock a blade putter while my friend has a big arc stroke with a big heavy mallet and we both putt quite acceptably.
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

I am comfortable with both styles, as long as it is heel shafted with a double bend shaft. I do believe mallets give a lttle extra forgiveness on short putts. Arc putters seem to seem to be the majority of golfers who prefer blade putters, but I wonder if it isnt related as much to your feel and mental approach as anything. Are you a feel putter or more mechanical in your approach etc? I would encourage someone who lacks confidence on the short ones to try a mallet. Before going to the long, no I can't even think about it, I might jinx myself.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I prefer a blade. I've never owned a mallet, and have never found one that I liked the look or feel of.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Switched from a blade to mallet this year, bought a Taylor Made Rossa Fontana... love it. Love the feel, my putts are straighter because with the extra weight I don't wobble the putter face as much and I've been making more putts.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!