• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PuttPutt

Blade vs Mallet Putters

27 posts in this topic

Which one is beneficial and why? Please suggest.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

It just depends on what you personally prefer. If you're in the market for a new putter, try as many as you can and choose the one that feels best for you

I have been using a blade-style putter for over a season (sig line). I like its looks (how it sets up eye-wise). However, I have been having some stuggles with putting a consistent movement into it - the head is a bit light, and I have been manufacturing speed vs. allowing the head to generate its own speed.

I have tried other putters both on the course and in a few pro shops, and the mallet style feels better from a head weight perspective. As I practice to groove a more consistent putting stroke, the mallet may become my new style (I like the Odyssey line, so the Tour brand mallet (like the #9) maybe the next new toy purchased).

It took over a season of trial and error - my suggestion is to demo as many brands and styles that you can to find the right flatstick for you.

I have tried a couple mallet putters, and just could never get the speed right with them, for me, they had no feel. But I have friends that play them religiously and love them. I think it all comes down to what feels right to you.

I had a similar experience as Bullitt5339. I just recently switched from a mallet back to a blade. I had been using the mallet for about 3 years. I tend to do much better with distance - especially on lag putts - with a blade. With the mallet, I tend to be more accurate on short putts because I find it easier to stay on line. In the end, I decided I'd rather work on keeping my stroke straight on a blade than trying to figure out how to better gauge distance with a mallet. There are drills to keep your stroke straight that I can do in my living room. The distance part I thought would be harder. I also got a blade on the heavier side which helps keep it straight for me as well.

I used a 2-ball putter though high school, recently I switched to a Ping D66 iWi. Blades have the CoG closer to the ball while mallets have it closer to the back of the club head...meaning mallets will have a greater MOI, and therefore the ball will come off more hot than with a blade. I had a problem blowing the ball past the hole, so I switched to a blade to deaden the speed. I'd rather have a car that doesn't hit 60mph by just looking at the gas pedal, if you know what I mean. Of course there are some people who would rather take that car and put a V8 in it...speed freaks.

It's what I am used to, I hate change and I don't like all that metal behind the striking surface to distract me. Silly but thats my mindset. Just like I prefer the traditional 460cc clubhead on a driver than these the square or the ones that are shaped like a stingray (Cobra). Just doesnt look right in my minds eye at address.

i've been using blade style putters my entire golf life. i use my bettinardi bc1 now which i do love...but i recently had a chance to play around with the scotty cameron california del mar...which is somewhat of a half mallet style putter and my god thats a beautiful putter.

I have many putter over the years, I currently playing SC Newport 2 and Yonex ADX blade putters, I have used most recently a two ball putter, and Never compromise mallet putters, I had an alignment problem and since solved this problem and can use any putter and the blades putters are working for me, I usually have under 30 putts per round of 18 holes.

If there were a universally better putter style, it would be in use everywhere. The variations in putter along the pro tour tells us that there isn't a universal correct one.

I find shorter putts easier with my blade-style, but I am considering getting a mallet-style and practicing the short ones enough with it. I do find distance control easier will mallets, and I'm hitting more greens (and finding myself farther from pins on first putt as a result) lately, so I'm entertaining this switch.

Awards and Achievements

Right now I play with a blade putter (Scotty Laguna Two) and I love it... Before that it was a Odyssey Two Ball and I did really like that one as well... However, I found myself thinking too much with the Two Ball so I made the switch to the blade. Honestly though, I've always gone back and forth, I've used other Odyssey Mallets (DF 330 and Rossie, if I remember correctly) as well as a Scotty Bullseye and a Ping Anser type putter.

Awards and Achievements

If there were a universally better putter style, it would be in use everywhere. The variations in putter along the pro tour tells us that there isn't a universal correct one.

That - except completely opposite on both counts.

That - except completely opposite on both counts.

I assume just for the second paragraph, and not to my note about the lack of a universal putter on Tour?

Awards and Achievements

I assume just for the second paragraph, and not to my note about the lack of a universal putter on Tour?

Yeah - my distance control is better with a blade and my aim is better with a mallet.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have an arcing putting stroke (open to closed through impact) with a heavy putter you will tend to be a little open at impact, so a blade might be a better idea, while on the other hand if you have the straight back and straight through stroke a heavier putter will tend to keep the putter face straight. This is not a perfect system just a common phenomenon. I have a straight back straight through stroke and rock a blade putter while my friend has a big arc stroke with a big heavy mallet and we both putt quite acceptably.

I am comfortable with both styles, as long as it is heel shafted with a double bend shaft. I do believe mallets give a lttle extra forgiveness on short putts. Arc putters seem to seem to be the majority of golfers who prefer blade putters, but I wonder if it isnt related as much to your feel and mental approach as anything. Are you a feel putter or more mechanical in your approach etc? I would encourage someone who lacks confidence on the short ones to try a mallet. Before going to the long, no I can't even think about it, I might jinx myself.

I prefer a blade. I've never owned a mallet, and have never found one that I liked the look or feel of.

Switched from a blade to mallet this year, bought a Taylor Made Rossa Fontana... love it. Love the feel, my putts are straighter because with the extra weight I don't wobble the putter face as much and I've been making more putts.