IGNORED

Can a 64 degree lob wedge replace a sand wedge?

Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Couple things: First of all, as everyone is saying don't buy a 64 wedge... Second, if you buy a new set of irons, and you order the 4-AW, you can order the 3, SW, etc. as well, they just add to the overall cost of the set.

I bought RBZ irons last year and it was an additional $90 per club if I wanted to add. Decided to go 3 hybrid instead and different brand of wedges.

You do realize the question from the original poster is almost 3 yrs old?

There's a good chance he's already made a decision ... or he is the world's worst procrastinator.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a very good player (yet) but bunker play is one of my strengths (I'm 9 for 9 out of my first 6 rounds this year) and I find that a 56-14 wedge is just right for me, I have yet to encounter a bunker that it didn't work for. Obviously you need to alter your contact point and technique a little depending on the type and condition of the sand but I can't imagine a scenario where I would prefer my 60-08.

I use Utley's method, transformed my sandplay, I actually look forward to hitting out of bunkers because I know my buddies all dread the sand and its fun watching them realize that I'm out and usually pin high on the first attempt every time. I suppose the other methods might lend themselves to different clubs for different scenarios but I can't really say, I never reached ANY level of proficiency with the other methods.

I imagine you would want a fair bit more bounce than is typically offered in a lob or super-lob wedge. When I bought my mp t-11 60* they offered it with 4* or 8* of bounce, I would have taken more if they had it. I use the 60* mostly for chipping, if I'm pitching or flopping I usually use my 56* and open it a tad to expose even more bounce.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm not a very good player (yet) but bunker play is one of my strengths (I'm 9 for 9 out of my first 6 rounds this year) and I find that a 56-14 wedge is just right for me, I have yet to encounter a bunker that it didn't work for. Obviously you need to alter your contact point and technique a little depending on the type and condition of the sand but I can't imagine a scenario where I would prefer my 60-08.

I use Utley's method, transformed my sandplay, I actually look forward to hitting out of bunkers because I know my buddies all dread the sand and its fun watching them realize that I'm out and usually pin high on the first attempt every time. I suppose the other methods might lend themselves to different clubs for different scenarios but I can't really say, I never reached ANY level of proficiency with the other methods.

I imagine you would want a fair bit more bounce than is typically offered in a lob or super-lob wedge. When I bought my mp t-11 60* they offered it with 4* or 8* of bounce, I would have taken more if they had it. I use the 60* mostly for chipping, if I'm pitching or flopping I usually use my 56* and open it a tad to expose even more bounce.

9 for 9 up and down?  Good grief, that's outa control good!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 for 9 up and down?  Good grief, that's outa control good!  :beer:

Whoa now. Keep in mind these aren't really up and downs. I think I got 1-2 pars and maybe a birdie, the rest were bogie or worse because it usually took me too many strokes to get into the bunker in the first place. Honestly, my short game is decent, my bunker play is near perfect and my putting is really strong, it's the full swings that are killing me. It's also early in the season, things can still go south on me. I worry about my putting as it is all feel so if I have an off day it could get ugly but for now I'm averaging less than 30 per 18. We'll see how it pans out over the year I guess.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Whoa now. Keep in mind these aren't really up and downs. I think I got 1-2 pars and maybe a birdie, the rest were bogie or worse because it usually took me too many strokes to get into the bunker in the first place.

Honestly, my short game is decent, my bunker play is near perfect and my putting is really strong, it's the full swings that are killing me.

It's also early in the season, things can still go south on me. I worry about my putting as it is all feel so if I have an off day it could get ugly but for now I'm averaging less than 30 per 18. We'll see how it pans out over the year I guess.

Doesn't matter what the actual score was, if you got up and down 9 times out of 9..... i.e.  out of the bunker and into the hole in 2 strokes, that's first rate.  Way better than my norm for sure, and I'm pretty comfortable out of the sand myself.  Kudos!

In David's bag....

Thanks. Do you, or have you tried the Stan Utley method? The set up feels really odd to say the least but the results are hard to argue with.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 5 months later...

I've been practicing my short game a lot lately (within 50 yards) and I'm having a rough time sticking the ball close to the pin if it's at the front of the green. I just have too much roll. I've never used a lob wedge yet but my father in law just give me a 64 degree.....

WISH ME LUCK, lol.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I've been practicing my short game a lot lately (within 50 yards) and I'm having a rough time sticking the ball close to the pin if it's at the front of the green. I just have too much roll. I've never used a lob wedge yet but my father in law just give me a 64 degree..... WISH ME LUCK, lol.

Why does your father in law hate you?! ;-)

In David's bag....

Why does your father in law hate you?!

I was thinking' the same thing.

He wants a good laugh.

Okay, you've really got to have nerve to swing a 64 - no need to open it up. Just set up square, weight on front foot and leave it there, and don't be afraid to be aggressive on the downswing to get it to go.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Why does your father in law hate you?!

hahah, i asked him if he had a 60 I could borrow, he's like I have a 64 you can HAVE. Trying to get rid of it??? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I was thinking' the same thing.

He wants a good laugh.

Okay, you've really got to have nerve to swing a 64 - no need to open it up. Just set up square, weight on front foot and leave it there, and don't be afraid to be aggressive on the downswing to get it to go.

I've bladed my sand wedge on occasion, this 64 is going to be hilarious. I always swing fairly aggressive, I wonder how far I can blade it lol.

Updates when I get a chance to use it in a few days.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I used a 64 for a while. Limited usefulness for me. More often than not it slipped under the ball in rough, I had more than one whiff. It was easy enough to hit from firm lies but the ball really didn't go anywhere unless I de-lofted it. I could feel the ball spin up the face before launching and it popped straight up. Seemed like the faster I swung the club the higher and shorter the ball traveled. It was a tough club to figure out.

Dave :-)

I used a 64 for a while. Limited usefulness for me. More often than not it slipped under the ball in rough, I had more than one whiff. It was easy enough to hit from firm lies but the ball really didn't go anywhere unless I de-lofted it. I could feel the ball spin up the face before launching and it popped straight up. Seemed like the faster I swung the club the higher and shorter the ball traveled. It was a tough club to figure out.

Typically, 64's have low bounce but a wider sole, which effectively makes more bounce, but in the wrong way -- for me. It works, but don't open it. I don't like wide soles.

It is a tough club to figure out. It is easy for the club to miss the ball in the rough -- secret, don't ground the club, put it in its normal place.

I have a friend who is getting Miura to make a 64 with the K Grind and low bounce - a special limited and pricey edition. People have complained about getting the ball to stop on fast, crowned greens -- for people with $$$ and a low hc, this club may appeal to them.

I've tried a 62 with better success, but I still sold it after a few months. The same with a 64 - sold it after a few months. But that was several years and a couple of different swing methods ago...

Typically, 64's have low bounce but a wider sole, which effectively makes more bounce, but in the wrong way -- for me. It works, but don't open it. I don't like wide soles.

It is a tough club to figure out. It is easy for the club to miss the ball in the rough -- secret, don't ground the club, put it in its normal place.

I have a friend who is getting Miura to make a 64 with the K Grind and low bounce - a special limited and pricey edition. People have complained about getting the ball to stop on fast, crowned greens -- for people with $$$ and a low hc, this club may appeal to them.

I've tried a 62 with better success, but I still sold it after a few months. The same with a 64 - sold it after a few months. But that was several years and a couple of different swing methods ago...

It is long, long gone I didn't haven't but a few months I didn't hate it or anything but the solution for me was getting fitted and spending time practicing. Randomly experimenting with different wedges was to my detriment. I just made the switch to a 58/14 with heel grind and that's my most lofted club. It replaced my 60/12 with the same grind.

It is long, long gone I didn't haven't but a few months I didn't hate it or anything but the solution for me was getting fitted and spending time practicing. Randomly experimenting with different wedges was to my detriment. I just made the switch to a 58/14 with heel grind and that's my most lofted club. It replaced my 60/12 with the same grind.

It's all about what works for you. Glad it works.

I have a 60/18 but with good grinding - the leading edge is low to the ground and the bounce is towards the back to help me out of the turf. The 55 is 14 with a similar grind.

Once again, it's what works.

It's all about what works for you. Glad it works.

I have a 60/18 but with good grinding - the leading edge is low to the ground and the bounce is towards the back to help me out of the turf. The 55 is 14 with a similar grind.

Once again, it's what works.

Ain't that the truth. I play with a guy that has this ancient LW. I'm not sure he even knows what the loft is, looks to be a 60. He ran it over with a cart and the shaft is bent. I've asked him a few times why not have it repaired and he says no way it's been that way for years. It would drive me nuts. Though this guy is quirky, still has one persimmon rescue wood in the bag.

Had to play out of a friends bag because my clubs were being shipped back from vacation.  In his bag he had a PW (Callaway set) and a 64* wedge.  Pretty sure the gap between those two clubs was about 20 degrees!

After hitting the 64* wedge about 7' and 30' short of the hole a couple of times, I went to chipping with anything EXCEPT the 64.

IMO, 64* wedges are at best an 'acquired taste,' and at worst, well ... pretty much useless unless you're left-handed and your first name happens to be Phil.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Had to play out of a friends bag because my clubs were being shipped back from vacation.  In his bag he had a PW (Callaway set) and a 64* wedge.  Pretty sure the gap between those two clubs was about 20 degrees!

After hitting the 64* wedge about 7' and 30' short of the hole a couple of times, I went to chipping with anything EXCEPT the 64.

IMO, 64* wedges are at best an 'acquired taste,' and at worst, well ... pretty much useless unless you're left-handed and your first name happens to be Phil.

dave

I dunno, I use to carry a 60* wedge all the time. When I began playing again a couple months ago, I borrowed my Son's clubs, and he had a 64* Cleveland in his bag, so I played around with it at the range. I can consistently hit it to 75-80 yards with good accuracy. I leaned to hit Flop shots a long time ago with a 58* wedge, so the 64* makes just that much easier. When I get my wedges, I'm going with a 54 and 60. I suggest watching clips of Phil, and practice, it's not that hard..If I can do it, anyone can.

Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!