IGNORED

Backswing question

bizman
Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my short golf career I have pieced together my swing from watching videos, listening to my buddies (probably not the greatest idea), and hitting a lot of balls. At the beginning of the year I really worked on getting better with my wedges from 100 yards and in, and right now it is probably the best part of my game. The best thing I did was limit my backswing so the club was not parallel to the ground and focus on taking a divot after the ball. Since I have been hitting my wedges so well, I took this same swing to my short irons but not my long irons.
Today at the range I messed around with limiting my backswing with my long irons and hybrids (not taking the club to parallel) and found that I hit more consistent shot. Now, I was hitting into a decent head wind, so I didn't hit everything as far, but the feel off the club was great.
So my question, I always thought a bigger backswing would result in more clubhead speed and a farther shot, am I misguided? I think my distances are pretty average (160 w/7 iron) so I'm not thrilled about losing a lot of distance (stupid ego I know), but if I do gain some accuracy I wouldn't mind.
Also, does anyone limit their driver backswing? Can it be beneficial?
Sorry if these are silly questions, I just really liked the feedback on my last question so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Thanks!

In my camo golf bag:
Driver: Spine 10.5*
3 Wood: Fybrid 15*
Hybrids: Fybrid 19.5* & 24*
Irons: AP1 5-GWWedges: CG14 56*14 & 50*12Putter: White Hot XG SRT 2 BallBall: Gamer V2

I also came to realize that i hit better shots when making only 3/4 swings not soon after I started playing golf.

I do this for all swings, including the driver and it works. Of course, if i need an extra 20-30 yds i do purposely make a bigger backswing but only if i can afford to mishit it. As for losing distance, i actually gained more distance as I developed a better swing and consistant hit on the sweet spot. Average 7 iron is about 170, so i'm not concerned with distances. I don't ever make a bigger swing just to get another 5-8 yds more, but just grab a club longer and swing easier.

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Oh i am starting to get my 3/4 swing down because for me 3/4ths equal parallel ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I too discovered my swing with my backswing and wedge practice. I use the same swing for my fairway woods and driver swing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Have you ever seen your swing on video? When I first did, I was amazed at how long my backswing was. I sometimes tried hitting punch shots that felt likt 1/4 shots to me, but in reality was 3/4 when I watched it on video. Feel is not real.

The longer your backswing is, the harder it is to get the sequence right. I hit the ball farther when I take a shorter backswing because my hands don't get as far behind, giving me forward leaning shaft at impact and more club head speed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have never video taped my swing, but I am going to get a tripod tomorrow to test it out. The only time I have seen my swing is in still pictures, and with my driver it was past parallel. I just took a 6 iron in front of a big mirror at home and took it back what felt like 1/2 and it was beyond 3/4, so I see what you mean by feel is not real. I'll hopefully get some video tomorrow and really examine what my swing looks like.

In my camo golf bag:
Driver: Spine 10.5*
3 Wood: Fybrid 15*
Hybrids: Fybrid 19.5* & 24*
Irons: AP1 5-GWWedges: CG14 56*14 & 50*12Putter: White Hot XG SRT 2 BallBall: Gamer V2

I definitely recommended taking a video of your swing. I too was shocked when I first saw my video and realized my 3/4 swing was actually past parellel. After viewing the video and a short practice session later (again with video) i realized my 1/2 swing was 3/4.

Zeph is right, feel is not real. Seeing your own swing on a vid is absolutely an eye opener. Make sure to record the voice, and loudly comment what type of swing you will be making to properly note what your goal for that particular swing is.

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!