IGNORED

PGA Fiasco

CalBoomer
Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What a mess. The PGA claims the local rules about sand traps were posted in the clubhouse. The problem is that practically anyplace on that course off the fairway that doesn't have some grass on it could be considered a "sand-trap," especially with crowds of spectators trampling all over the place. The whole place is a pile of sand. Even Whistling Straits can't tell you how many sand traps they have. Why? Because probably even they can't be completely sure what constitutes a sand trap on their own course. Kohler and the PGA are a bunch of arrogant hypocrites.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what the worst part is? Spectators were standing in the "bunker" with him. When else have you ever seen a spectator get into the same bunker as the player to watch their shot? If it indeed was a bunker, there should have been no spectators in front of him or even within 5 yards to the left or right of him.

I respect the rules of golf, although I do not agree with all of them.

Regardless of the position you take, this marred an otherwise great tournament.....I personally give a touch more blame to the PGA than to DJ....to the extent any other players suffered a similar result throughout the week, I would say the same thing.....the LEAST a competition committee can do is clearly desigate hazards on the course....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

While I agree its a shame Johnson was penalised in such a manner its not the first time at the PGA a similar event occur, although maybe not as dramatic...

An Aussie (Steve Elkington maybe?) was penalised under almost exactly the same situation a few years back. He copped a 4 stroke penalty (Grounding the club AND removing debis from a bunker IIRC) and ended up losing by 5 (yeah I know he still wouldn't have won but the principle is the same).

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

The only fiasco is DJ breaking the rules.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only fiasco is DJ breaking the rules.

I fully agree with you that DJ has to accept the ruling, but what I do not understand, is how the PGA officials would allow spectators to stand in the bunker during play. I know its the players responsibility to read the weekly local rules, and obviously DJ did not. I hope DJ comes back from this, the guy has a boat load of talent.

Wow!

I'm wondering if the next event at Whistling Straights will see players calling in rules officials for an "is this a bunker or not?" ruling on nearly every shot.

Since every bunker really

is a bunker and not waste area, I don't see the need for that.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I fully agree with you that DJ has to accept the ruling, but what I do not understand, is how the PGA officials would allow spectators to stand in the bunker during play. I know its the players responsibility to read the weekly local rules, and obviously DJ did not. I hope DJ comes back from this, the guy has a boat load of talent.

The thing is where was the spectators supposed to be ? On a course littered with bunkers all over the place. Have a spectator rule saying that you can walk anywhere outside the ropes but steer clear of the bunkers would'nt work. The alternative is having the spectators standing a long distance from the course, and that would simply not be acceptable.

The following sticks of wonder are found in the orange bag of carrying
Driver : R9 460 9.5 Regular
Rescue : Halo 2i Regular
Irons : X20 tour 3-p Project X 5.0
Wedges : Vokey 52, XFT 56, 60Putter : VP 109

I agree it was a fiasco, but when they explained that #1 rule on the rule sheet given to the players was about the sand traps, the number of them, the fact that they would be both inside and outside the ropes and may have foot prints and tire prints in them and they were still to be considered sand traps with all rules pertaining, it was posted on the course and in the club house,.. let them off the hook. so, DJ and his caddie and messed that up,... DJ himself confused me,... even though I give him major props for speaking to the tv reporter, but he said, I never once thought I was in a bunker,... then he said maybe I should have read the rules more carefully,... so even if he had read the rules, if he didn't think he was in a bunker the rules on how to play out of a bunker wouldn't come into play (so to speak)
but, I also agree, bunkers should never be allowed to occupied by spectators,... in a major no less.

Since every bunker really

Yes, but he was saying that if it was a bunker then spectators shouldn't be standing in there with him, so DJ got the wrong idea of what his ball was in, considering he doesn't expect the fans to join him in a bunker!!!

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I'm wondering if the next event at Whistling Straights will see players calling in rules officials for an "is this a bunker or not?" ruling on nearly every shot.

Every group has a walking rules official anyway so it's not like that's a hassle.

Still though, I thought just from the telecast that it was pretty obvious he was in a bunker. All this "everything not grass outside the fairways" is stupid. Just look at the aerials, those are all bunkers! Hard to mistake. That said, I think for 2015 the PGA should declare them waste areas, but that doesn't change 2010. The fans, however, seemed very close to the players in the gallery all week, I don't know if it was just worse this tournament, or if it is always this bad (seemed worse this week), but a lot of times they seemed way to close.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
Yes, but he was saying that if it was a bunker then spectators shouldn't be standing in there with him, so DJ got the wrong idea of what his ball was in, considering he doesn't expect the fans to join him in a bunker!!!

Why wouldn't he expect it? They've been in bunkers all week.

And for those who say it wasn't a bunker, yes, it was: Unfortunately this discussion wants to be decided on emotion, and people will call for all sorts of stupid rules changes, when really Dustin (or his caddie) should have said "Hey, this is really sandy, and since we read the sheet it's clearly a bunker." 100% Dustin's fault. Or 98% his fault and 2% his caddie's fault.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From been reading and hearing everyone is pointing the finger at the PGA, the rules official, Johnson's caddy. This is 100% Dustin Johnson's fault, end of story.

Agreed. A teenage golfer knows better to ground a club in sand and a pro golfer knows better than to make such an assumption OR to do anything like that without a ruling FIRST.

Might be ANOTHER problem though. ESPN claims that Johnson's caddie put his bag down in the bunker. That's another two stroke penalty. So, the question now becomes did Johnson put the right score down on his scorecard? Then it becomes did he just sign an incorrect scorecard? Signing an incorrect scorecard means DQ. It happened to Michelle Wie a couple years ago for signing a scorecard after not realizing she grounded a club in the hazard, so ... Questions, questions questions ....

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Tough break for Johnson, it is what it is. But if anyone says they would have known it was a bunker that Johnson was standing in, they are lying.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Why wouldn't he expect it? They've been in bunkers all week.

It's obvious now that it was a bunker and when you see sand anywhere on a course like that, you have to have the common sense as a golfer to not ground your club.

BUT, and this is the point I can't get past. It is 100% irresponsible and UNFAIR (yes, unfair) for the PGA and course officials to allow a major championship venue to be setup in such a way that fans are standing in the hazard with a player as they hit their shot. There is NO disputing this. You can try all you want and you'll never convince me otherwise of that point. It doesn't give Dustin Johnson an excuse but it is totally unacceptable at a major championship or any professional tournament for that matter. And the whole "well he hit it so far off the fairway- the spectators don't have anywhere else to stand"- Those are both weak arguments. If you are deeming something a hazard, fans shouldn't be standing in it if it's 500 yards out of play. Bottom Line. You do two obvious things in the case of a course like Whistling Straits. You either make the bunkers that are in the area where spectators are standing waste bunkers and not hazards, or you play the championship somewhere else where there is room for patrons to view the tournament without standing in hazards. Seems pretty simple. They listed on the rules sheet that there may be foot prints, tire tracks and heel marks from patrons but nowhere on that sheet did it say that patrons may be standing in the hazard with you as you play a shot. Dustin Johnson screwed up but so did the PGA and course officials by allowing the course to be played this way.

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!