IGNORED

What's the furthest you've ever holed out from?

vct33
Note: This thread is 3778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ironic this subject came up.

I watched Ferherty last night interviewing Raymond Floyd.

He talked about his technique using 5, 6, 7, 8 irons from short shots off the green, rather than wedge play. He calls it "lofted putting"

Today I was10 yards short of the green, with the pin in back uphill. Total distance to the hole was maybe 25 yards.

I took a 6 iron and "loft putted" it and it rolled up and lazily into the hole with the stick stopping it from the bottom.

Not a distance record by any means but a beautiful bird by anyone's estimation.

My game today started off really sucking with two 8's and a 7, but I started playing the ball forward and birdied, par, par and finished the front nine with a 50 (Could have been worse)

Started the back nine with par, bogey and then the storms came. Quit for lunch and drinks. Too bad, as I was on a roll.

98 yards, for par. I hit two shots fat on a par 3, then just gave up on the hole and just swung at the ball, no routine and just in the general direction of the green. Next thing I know, one of our foursome shouts, "It went in!"

That's golf, for you.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

230 yards with a 5 wood after a 110 yard popped up tee shot with a driver (on the 4th hole the first time I ever played golf). Didn't even know enough to think it was unusual.

Since the next longest after all of the holes I've played since is only 80 yards it's obvious that the beginner's luck was only a one time thing.

230 yards with a 5 wood after a 110 yard popped up tee shot with a driver (on the 4th hole the first time I ever played golf). Didn't even know enough to think it was unusual. Since the next longest after all of the holes I've played since is only 80 yards it's obvious that the beginner's luck was only a one time thing.

Haha, that'll keep you coming back.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Haha, that'll keep you coming back.

I know it...Darn it. If it wasn't for that (and a few more ridiculous things that happened when I first started) I might not have become hooked on this game.

150 yards when I had only been playing golf for a few months.  After I hit the 7 iron, my girlfriend said "what was that noise?" I told her I didn't know what it was but I now know that to be the sound of the ball hitting the stick !! One of only a handful of eagles that I have on my resume.

145 yards on a par 4. I was playing a 2 person scramble tournament with my dad and holed out for an eagle. It flew directly in the hole. The sun was behind the green, as were a couple of carts. I hit it and didn't see it down, but heard it hit metal. We got up to the green and apologized to the guys in the carts about hitting them, but we couldn't see the ball to know it was going that far. They told us that I didn't hit them and to check the hole as they thought it went in. Sure enough, that's where it was The worst part about it is that after the first day not even coming close to anything that would be a skin, we decided not to pay the $10 to get in the skins the second day. There were only 2 skins that day and our 3rd would have got us around $125, which would have paid for the whole weekend. Last time I never got in a skins game.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Originally Posted by trackster

I have yet to get a really long hole out.  My longest is just over 20 yards.  It was my second birdie ever and I celebrated accordingly by throwing my hands up in the air and running around the green shouting to my friend.

My second question of sorts is  has anyone noticed a large increase of off the green hole outs as you got better?  That 20 yard chip was in my first year of golf.

155 (Ace), 140 (Ace) and 100 (par 4 Eagle).  All of them occurred between 20 and 25 years ago.  Several others in the 20 to 50 yard range. Holing out from long range still remains in the realm of amazingly good luck.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

If we're excluding aces… from 99 yards a week or two ago during a playing lesson. I said I'd demonstrate how to play the shot, and then did. :)

If we're not excluding aces… from 99 yards a week or two ago during a playing lesson. I said I'd demonstrate how to play the shot, and then did. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've sunk some really long putts but I've yet to hole out from the fairway, some very close calls though and lots of chip ins from the fringe or apron.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've only chipped one in from around 30 feet. I think I was only about 12 at the time and I was playing with my neighborhood friend and his dad. It was on the first hole a par 3, I hit a perfect bump and run after a wayward tee shot. Needless to say my buddy's dad was quite impressed. I don't really recall anything after that but it was my first birdie which was pretty sweet.

I seem to recall holing out a 7 iron about 20 years ago but for sure I holed out a wedge from about 110 yards for an eagle on a par 5 at Pasatiempo. My one and only eagle.

186 yards with 7-iron.  My third hole-in-one!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

This thread reminds me of a funny story...

I was in Columbus, OH playing in a 4 man scramble group with my cousin and two of his friends. One of the friends was a professional female golfer (don't remember the name...not popular or well known by any stretch).

Anyway, we're on the fringe and they all putt and miss from about 20 feet. So I grab my 60 and go to chip and she starts giving me all kinds of crap talking about the percentages and saying I should putt and blah blah blah. The other 2 guys think this is hilarious. Finally, I say "Look, you hit your shot and missed. I didn't tell you how to hit it, so just let me hit my ball."

I chipped with my 60 and sure enough it rolls right into the hole and the guys we were playing with just absolutely lost it. I'm like "What was that about percentages?"

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

This thread reminds me of a funny story...

I was in Columbus, OH playing in a 4 man scramble group with my cousin and two of his friends. One of the friends was a professional female golfer (don't remember the name...not popular or well known by any stretch).

Anyway, we're on the fringe and they all putt and miss from about 20 feet. So I grab my 60 and go to chip and she starts giving me all kinds of crap talking about the percentages and saying I should putt and blah blah blah. The other 2 guys think this is hilarious. Finally, I say "Look, you hit your shot and missed. I didn't tell you how to hit it, so just let me hit my ball."

I chipped with my 60 and sure enough it rolls right into the hole and the guys we were playing with just absolutely lost it. I'm like "What was that about percentages?"

So you got lucky with a low percentage shot and that justifies being an ass? (by the way, I doubt that there is an instructor worth his fee who would teach using a LW for a fringe chip)  I got lucky a few times with a LW too, but because the strokes it cost me outweighed the strokes it saved, I no longer even own one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

So you got lucky with a low percentage shot and that justifies being an ass? (by the way, I doubt that there is an instructor worth his fee who would teach using a LW for a fringe chip)  I got lucky a few times with a LW too, but because the strokes it cost me outweighed the strokes it saved, I no longer even own one.

How was I being an ass? I didn't ask for advice, nor did I want it, and she's demanding I hit the shot she wants...just because she's better than me, doesn't mean I have to listen to her unwanted advice, nor does it mean she was justified. I wasn't yelling at her, even though she got all uppity about me hitting what she wanted. We were all having fun, and we laughed about it (her included) afterwards.

I chip from the fringe with my 60 every single time, and it's one of the best parts of my game. Matter of fact, I holed out a chip last night with my 60 from the fringe.

EDIT: For the record, both my cousin and his friend (who I had never met) didn't think I crossed any lines, and said she should have just let me hit my shot.

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!