IGNORED

Recommended wedge lofts?

dlo132
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After much debate, I found a smoking deal on a set of Cobra SZ Irons, #4 to Gap wedge.

My question now is, what Lofts of wedges should i stuff in the bag, as the Gap wedge is 49 Deg according to the Cobra website.

I have a nickent Arc 50 deg. and was thinking of bending it to 52, and getting maybe a 56 and 60 (as i really like this wedge, and would like to get another 2)

Are these gaps too much, and will bending the 50 F up the way the club swings at all?

Peace.

Blackmax Driver w/ Diamana Redboard
Ovation 3+5 Woods
Ignite 7 wood
A3oS Hybrids
SZ IronsRossa Core putterTopflight Gamer V2 Balls"Your swing looks pretty good, except your grip, stance, ball position, take back, follow through, and shoulder rotation."Actual quote from one of my first golf...

I like 52* gap, 56* sand and 60* lob wedge, although i don't carry a 60* wedge.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 9.5* (UST Proforce V2 65 R)
#3, #5, #7 and #9 Wood: Cleveland Launcher (Cleveland Gold, UST Proforce and Grafalloy ProLaunch regular shaft)
Hybrid irons: 5-6, Adams (Graphite Design YS+ Graphite R)
Irons: 7-PW, Adams Tech OS Hybrid (True Temper GS75 steel R)
Wedges: 52*...

That's my wedge set-up, although part of me is ready to drop the 60º wedge. I'm extremely inconsistent with it on full shots, so I wind up using it almost exclusively around the greens when I've got to hit a flop shot... which I can do just as well, if not better, with my 56º wedge.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So can i bend my 50 to a 52 then?

Blackmax Driver w/ Diamana Redboard
Ovation 3+5 Woods
Ignite 7 wood
A3oS Hybrids
SZ IronsRossa Core putterTopflight Gamer V2 Balls"Your swing looks pretty good, except your grip, stance, ball position, take back, follow through, and shoulder rotation."Actual quote from one of my first golf...

So can i bend my 50 to a 52 then?

Personally I wouldn't touch the loft on the Nickent unless you're thinking about making it 1 degree stronger to replace the Cobra. Changing the bounce of a gap wedge might not be a good idea.

If it was my setup, I'd try the Nickent alongside the Cobra GW at the range and during practice rounds until one of them stands out. That's the direction I'd go with my 56 and 60 too - get a 56 bent to 55 for nice even 5 degree gaps. Trust me - more wedges means more options but also more chances to second guess yourself as you stand over a shot.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have a cobra 4-GW set, and I backed it up with a 54 and 58. Once I get to the point where I'm making proper contact with my short-iron and wedge shots very consistently, I'll find out if the yardage gap between the cobra GW and the vokey 54 is too large. For now, the GW yardage isn't consistent enough for the yardage gap to be a concern.

-Andrew

I'd do 50-55-60 or 50-54-58.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

You won't really notice 2 degrees of loft.

The differences in brand would change the loft more.

I have a 45* PW 54* SW and 60* LW, I don't hit full shots with any of my wedges so I don't find much of a distance gap.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

After much debate, I found a smoking deal on a set of Cobra SZ Irons, #4 to Gap wedge.

That would be a PW (I'm guessing about 44*), a GW (49*), lets call it a AW (50/52*), a SW (56*), and a LW (60*). Sounds like a lot of wedges to me. I would drop the AW and get a 54 and a 60, rather than the 56 and 60.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I use a 52 and a 56. Have a 60 but never use it. The 56 is money

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

I have a cobra 4-GW set, and I backed it up with a 54 and 58. ...

My wedges are PW 45*, GW 50*, SW 56*. I have been thinking about replacing the SW with a 54 & 58.

The press release on the SZ irons says they have wide soles and low profile to prevent digging into the turf.. basically high-bounce clubs. Since you might be mixing wedges (Cobra + 2 others), look for wedges with some bounce to match the turf-dig of your SZs. In the used club bins, I'm seeing a lot of 54* and 58* wedges from Vokey and Mizuno T-series. Being you're a 30+ HDCP, you might want to avoid a 60* wedge; lots of people find them difficult to hit as the highest-loft wedge. If the 49* Cobra plays a little long in comparison to others, you could always choke-down a quarter-inch on shots. Hopefully you can test-hit your non-Cobra wedges to make sure you don't end up with yardage gaps in your new club mix.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

49 degree gap wedge. Kids these days...

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Don't be monochromatic. Think about the bounce you want with each loft. If you have sand in your traps, you are going to want a lot of bounce on the sand iron. If traps are short on sand and are crusty, you want a sand iron with less bounce. Some guys will say to use your pitching iron. I like those guys, especially when the crusty trap is close to the pin.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

This was my set up until I left my 60* laying on the last hole a week ago..............not happy!

I don't see how jacked up lofts help high handicappers. Just distance? Wouldn't you want to be able to have more control with the scoring clubs?

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I carry a lot of wedges. In my bag are 52, 56, and 60* Clevelands. I have a 64* and 68* Pinemeadow wedges and a 73* Feel wedge. I just found an 80* on eBay and overstock. I will prolly buy it too. I love wedges.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

I don't see how jacked up lofts help high handicappers. Just distance? Wouldn't you want to be able to have more control with the scoring clubs?

Jacked up lofts also hurt in the longer clubs too. If you only have 3* loft difference (or 2.5*!) between clubs 6i on down, you start getting less than 10 yards distance between clubs.

Even in the player's clubs, average distance between 4i and 3i on PGA tour is less than 10 yards.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!