IGNORED

The TourSpoon Blog

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 1376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two more rounds since the last post with the first a 78 (4.8) back at Madison Green. Despite a double on the par 3 on the front (mishit another 5 iron into the water), I managed 2 birdies for a 38. On the back, I was just missing the fairways but in good spots and came into 18 with two bogeys. I hit the tee shot down the right side 2 feet off the fairway into the rough. With the ball above my feet, I didn't get all of it and the ball plugged into the bank. That's where the fun started popping it over the green and pitched on for a double bogey to finish. Overall, I hit it well and made a couple of putts. Two bad shots cost me some strokes.

Yesterday was at the Village where I used to work back in the day. We started on the back and I missed 3 up and downs to go 3 over. Into the 18th, I snapped a drive short and left into the jungle, pitched out sideways and then smoked a 3 wood down the fairway. Even the ranger commented on the shot, it was that good. The 3 wood set up an 8 to the fringe and I was able to save bogey for a 40. I played the front hitting 4 greens and getting up and down 5 times. The first two were from the fringe, the next one was the result of a flier 7 iron from the back of a green 10 yards away to 2 feet. On 8 a long par 3, I hit a poor iron and was 10 yards away in the rough. I chopped it out to 6 feet and made the save. On the finishing par 5, I hit a straight draw on the dogleg left leaving me about 250 to the pin. I hit a decent 3 wood into the front bunker which left a long blast to the pin. I nipped it over the green into the rough and then chopped a 60 to 4 feet. I steadied over the putt, took it back and let the momentum carry the putter to finish and made another putt for a 36. It was a tough 76 (4.7), with no birdies, 14 pars and 4 bogeys. The saving grace was making 9/10 putts from 10 feet and in with sandie and 6 up and downs out of 10 tries.

The most exciting thing to come out of yesterday was the return of my 3 wood. I have been struggling as of late from the fairway and I can't remember the last time I pulled it out on a par 5. I have been working on it and even pm:ed Stretch about it. He told me to move my ball position. Well I moved it back on all my clubs and the contact has been so much cleaner. Yesterday, I hit the 3 wood 3 times, one that was a baby draw crushed from the fairway, another from the tee that was solid (245 draw on dogleg left) and a baby fade from the fairway that I felt that I just missed even though the result was really good. This is the club that has the ability to set me up for at least one more birdie a round. My strategy on a par 5 is to lay up to 100 unless I can get it on or close to the green for an easy up and down birdie. If the hole is straight forward then in front, in a bunker, or anywhere where you can chip will usually pay off and now I have some confidence to get it closer on those par 5s.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...

I have hit the range a couple of times and played a practice round at Bear Lakes. I have really worked on the initial move of taking the club back without rocking into the forward press and it is getting better. This simple change has been a long time coming as I don't even realize that I do it. On video, I can see the improvement and on the range the ball striking is more consistent and solid. I feel like I take it back and just turn through the ball without too much thought. My divots are straighter and the ball flight is lower.

The practice round was encouraging as I was hitting distances with the long clubs that I have not seen in a while. Firm fairways helped, and I drove the green on a 300 yard par 4 getting to the front edge 295 yards from the tee downwind. I hit a couple of monster 3 woods/2 hybrids as well that put me pin high on 2 par 5s. I ended up with 3 natural birdies on the day so there were some bright spots. The iron shot of the day was a 6 iron into a hurting crosswind from 170 to 4 feet on the last hole.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I have hit the range a couple of times and played a practice round at Bear Lakes. I have really worked on the initial move of taking the club back without rocking into the forward press and it is getting better. This simple change has been a long time coming as I don't even realize that I do it.

Thinking back to my last 2 range sessions, I do this as well. It's almost like as soon as the club starts back, I automatically start thinking about that movement.  I don't do that in my old swing and hit the ball better...hmmmm...you may have helped me stumble on to something here. I will focus on that the next session

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thinking back to my last 2 range sessions, I do this as well. It's almost like as soon as the club starts back, I automatically start thinking about that movement.  I don't do that in my old swing and hit the ball better...hmmmm...you may have helped me stumble on to something here. I will focus on that the next session

I'm glad you found something useful. It is a hard habit to break. Let me know how it goes.

• 3 months later...

I returned for the first round in 2 months time last Saturday with only one range visit the week before. Expecting ugliness I hit 9 greens and shot a 79. I just have to laugh. No real thoughts other than to feel my balance and to stay behind the ball.

FNG! First question, how do we know you're you?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would it be that the post lacked the normal OCD type details? But you know it's me, that's the Casablanca poster you sent me for Christmas!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

After a long hiatus, I actually dusted off the clubs and hit the range three times this week. Today's session was the best yet. The ball striking is coming back and I started by setting up with the shaft more vertical at my zipper rather than that nasty forward press I battled. Turn back keeping a centered head, feeling the left side and start with the hips keeping that head back so that I can "hump the giraffe". Iacas coined this term as far as I know, and it has stuck with me. I did a few left hand extended on the club with the right hand free swinging back (left hand still extended in an exaggerated address position) and the right side coming through and under like you are tossing a ball. This kept me centered and when I swung without tension I made some great swings in balance. 

In the bunker, I tried a drill that I saw Willet do at the PGA. Basically draw your swing line, a circle around the ball, place the club open behind the ball in the sand, and make the move with your weight forward to get the feeling of cutting the invisible tee under the ball in half. This really got the sand game back and soon I was doing it while hovering the club. 

I finished off by putting 3 footers until I made 10 in a row, practiced rolling them in at 6 and 10 feet. Some lags, and finished up by completing a clock drill to a slanted cup. It's great to be back! 

• Upvote 1

I spent a good amount of time practicing this weekend and saw my tune-up guy. We worked on widening the arc by extending the club down the line and not picking it up to soon with the hands, and swinging the follow through to 11 o'clock concentrating on the shaft angles and extension. This was done with partial swings at first and then worked to full swings with the emphasis on "swing" not hit. Balance, shoulders, and turn were fine, its just knocking off the rust. It's the same old stuff that just needs some attention. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a month since "the comeback".  I took a lesson, have been practicing, and played 4 times with rounds between 80 and 84, The game is coming back, but it's now about getting some consistency. In the lesson we worked on widening the arc both going back and through. I was cutting off my swing so extending down the line was emphasized. 

Saturday I got off to a horrible start with a couple of doubles, put together a few pars, but limped in with a staggering 44. With a tempo tip from a playing partner, I shoot 38 on the back and was a different player. Just looking back, getting tense and quick leads to all kind of bad stuff, Being relaxed, swinging in balance with good tempo allows me to naturally put the club in the best positions. I feel a lot of confidence and just need a couple of more rounds to get back into my game. 

Shot of the day. Trying to cut off a dogleg, I just clipped a palm tree and was just off the fairway. With a palm in my backswing I chipped out and then hit a flushed 8 iron 152 yards to 2 feet. It felt effortless, made that crisp sound, and had a baby draw flight, and had enough spin to hit and stick. It was a tap-in par save! That swing was the turn-around for the day as I went on to par the next 10 of 13 holes playing them 3 over. 

This was a great weekend to play, and I was able to get 3 rounds in of 79, 85, and 75. What I learned over the last 3 rounds was that tempo is my key. When I make a smooth move, I get so much more out of my swing. If I try to force it, not so good. Today I had 3 birdies and made 55% of up and downs. I was 4/5 in the sand today with the thought being smooth, don't decel, and finish. Even with 2 three putts, I only needed 27 putts today. 

Shot of the day, with the pin 195  and 182 to cover the bunker with a slight downwind breeze, I striped a 5 iron 10 feet right of the cup. I steadied over it and poured it in watching my stripe run end over end. I have been working on the inside to down the line putter path. On 18 I had a bunker save of 20 feet and stuffed it 6 inches from the cup. Again, every good shot was measured with great tempo and balance. Today was a day I needed and equates to a 3.0 performance. I left a few shots out there, but I made up for it with some great up and downs and no doubles! I played with a buddy and we were paired up with 2 guys that we clicked with. I love days like this!

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2016 at 2:48 AM, MacDutch said:

Hey, missed your last couple of posts, but glad to read you are back. What happend, did you stop playing golf that long, or just no posts?

Thanks,  I had hernia surgery 2 years ago and I stopped playing to recover. I got involved with some other activities and just returned. 

I played Saturday and it was shear pain. So I went back for a tune-up yesterday and I basically walked away with more understanding of a few basics.  Three swings and my guy is stressing what he always stresses. Let's start with by getting the weight off the heels and more to the balls of the feet, that will allow me to swing without getting to cramped. Next focus on the handle moving back the first 6 inches to widen the arc. Not a right hand snatch, but a lower, slower move down the line so that I get myself on plane as soon as possible. Finally firing down the line by feeling the handle being an extension of my forearm. Don't cut that swing off but extend.  Oh and let's not forget about a smooth tempo! 

Off for some short game, so I picked a spot on the pitching ground that was wet, tight and slightly downhill to practice some pitching. This lie exposes all the weaknesses! I was letting the ball slip back too far and tightening my wrists and not feeling that right hand hinge and release. Soon I was back on track, hinging and releasing and allowing the sole to do it's job. 

It's funny how it's the little things that make the biggest differences. 

Edited by TourSpoon

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I was back at it and on Saturday, I shot 44/39 for an 83. On the front I was dead and looking back I was very mechanical just trying to hit positions. I racked up 3 doubles which killed me. On the back, I loosened up and felt my body engaging (versus a hit the positions arm swing) and everything clicked. Sunday I was hitting the ball really well but not scoring. I posted 39/42 for an 81 with 2 doubles on the back that really hurt. The bad swings were all a result of quick moves. I really need to stress TEMPO! When I can get that right, even a bad swing is not so bad. 

We continued on for another 18 and I finally put something together for a 76 (38/38). I hit the ball well and made a few putts. It really didn't help that the butt of my Scotty grip disintegrated on the course but I managed. This last round just saw a lot of hard work come through, made some good choices to avoid any doubles, and dropped a couple of putts. 

Yesterday saw me at the local golf superstore to get the Scotty regripped and trying the latest goods. I really hit the Cally XR Pro well, but not $400 dollars better than the TA. I was averaging about 105 mph which was surprising after such a layoff. I sampled new irons as well and the Titleist MBs were amazing. Maybe a MB/CB combo set is in my future! The salesman was extremely knowledgeable and was getting a kick putting clubs together for me to sample. We parted with him saying, "I am sure I will see you soon". This guy was planting seeds. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend saw 2 rounds with different results. A 79 with a 40 on the front (doubled 9) and 39 on the back with 5 solid pars on the last holes to close out a 39.

Sunday's round started out well going 1 under through 5 then a pair of bogeys and a rushed double while it started to downpour on 9 (lesson, mark your position and don't finish the hole rushing in a downpour). I bounced back with a birdie on 10 by hitting the par 5 in 2, a par, a couple of bogeys, and another birdie put me at +3 with 4 to go. Then the heat hit on a rain soaked course and a couple of suspect bunker shots finished me up in bogey, 2 doubles and a bogey for a disappointing 81. The lesson here was that when the sand is hard packed from a downpour, don't crank open the face! I can't believe I lost so much concentration that I failed to make such a simple adjustment as squaring the face in hard packed bunkers! Sure, I lost my swing out there due to the horrid conditions of rain and suppressing heat (imagine being soaked to the bone and then being placed into a sauna) but there is no excuse when you skip a wedge into the ball on 2 separate holes!  I was  so frustrated that I went to the practice bunker, made the adjustment, and put 15 of 20 within 10 feet of the hole. Golf is a game of mental toughness and losing concentration cost me big time. 

This week was about prepping the house for the hurricane but South Florida dodged a major bullet with a slight jog to the east which brought projected hurricane force winds to tropical force winds. Luckily I will be playing tomorrow! 

One last note, I have been looking for grip specials and finally stumbled upon the Lamkin site and saw my beloved grey REL ACE grips on sale for $2.99. I ordered 15 in standard .580 which means no build up tape for a slight oversized feel. Score! 

Note: This thread is 1376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!