IGNORED

The TourSpoon Blog

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 1354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My new job has cut into my golf practice because we are working 4 ten hour days during the summer and I have had a few busy days off. Today I had to leave early to take care of some business and ended up with a couple of hours to spare so I hit the range. I really concentrated on the shoulders turning level and not dipping (the old pick up the club move) and I hit the ball really solid all the way through. I can always tell when I am hitting it solid by the flight of the 3 wood off the deck. Today, I hit it in the middle of the face and rocked it. There are two drills to promote the turn. The first is to put your hands on opposite shoulders and make the turn and my favorite way is to grip down on a club and stick the handle in your belly and turn. I concentrated on the second feeling turning going back and then leading with the hips coming through.

I moved down to some wedges and then to the bunker and chipping areas. In the bunker, I tried opening the face more than usual since the newly added sand has given me some trouble because it hasn't packed in yet and is a little too fluffy. The open face gives the wedge just a bit more bounce and worked fine. While chipping I concentrated on holding the face open while hinging and holding. From there I putted. I am still using the left hand low, but not so much forward press. I could feel the stroke today especially in the right wrist angle. I made the first 15 3 footers in a circle pattern and then worked on various distances for about 20 minutes. I ended by using the alignment line on the ball and made 3 10 footers and called it a day. lt felt really good to get out for some quality practice.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 3 weeks and 5 rounds since I last posted. I have been so busy with my new job that golf practice has taken a back seat. Not practicing during the week takes its toll, but luckily it hasn't been too painful. The last rounds have been 79, 84, 79, 81, and today a 77.

The biggest thing that has held me back are penalty shots. Last week's 81 featured two stroke and distance, with two stroke penalties, for a total of 6 shots.  Just a couple of bad holes and a balky putter had me with a 43-38.  The back nine started with a 400 yard 90 degree water dogleg that I smoked a 3wood to the edge of the landing area about 240 cutting off some of the dogleg. A PW from 125 hit a few inches past the hole and in for an eagle. Funny thing is that before the ball landed I said that those were the 2 best shots I have ever hit and that if that isn't in it will be real close. The pin is tucked behind a hump and sure enough, it was in the jar. I followed that up with an unplayable and then on the 335 yard 15th hole (another dogleg right), I drove the green just to 3 putt.  It was that kind of day with too many missed opportunities.

Today I got off to a good start by smoking a draw 275 to set up an easy par on the first hole. Going into 4 I was even and snapped hooked one OB on the number one handicap hole (427 yards). I take it in stride and bust one down the middle about 275 and hit a 7 iron to the green and two putt for double. The next hole I hit hybrid to 105 and hit my 54 to 3 feet for a bounce back birdie. A couple of missed up/downs and a three putt leave me at 4 over.  On the back I am cruising and bust a 305 yard draw on the par 5 leaving a 6 iron into the green. I end up limping away with a mere par. A couple of holes later I hit a pw from the fairway bunker to 5 feet and make the birdie. On 18, I thin my layup to the back of the green and chip to 2 feet for par to leave me one over on the back. Overall it was a very solid round.

A couple of thoughts:  I am still doing the take-away drill which encourages a nice turn and return inside path. I am just trusting the draw now. In putting I am only using the alignment line with longish putts.  From close in I am trying to trust the line I see to the hole. Above all today I stayed loose, hit some monster tee shots with the draw that seemed effortless, and made a couple of putts to have a good day.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...

Lack of practice is taking its toll on my game.  The last two rounds were 83 and 79. The big difference is that even though I am hitting 9 or 10 greens, I am not scoring, and I am certainly not saving par.  The most rust is on the short game where I only saved par one time (one u/d and a sandie for a bogey) but still avoided any doubles. I haven't putted horribly, I just haven't made anything past 15 feet in a while. I actually felt good about the short putts, I just need more of them!

The bright spots were no penalties and only one three putt in the last two rounds. The shot of the day was into the uphill par three that plays into the prevailing Atlantic breeze. It's a club for the uphill and a club for the wind and at 197 I hit 2 hybrid to 2 feet.  That was sweet.  I ended the round two holes later by blocking my tee shot into the sand dune and hitting the same 2H about 225 uphill pin high off the green.  A crisp wedge over the bunker checked within 5 feet of the hole to finally get a par save and a 79.

I recently went for a lesson to work on some things from my other thread only to discover that my weight had moved back to my heels. After a quick adjustment and some drills to get my lower body to better support my swing I was back to hitting the center of the clubface. So often, it is the basics that need to be paid attention to, because if they are off, I cannot put myself into a good position to properly strike the ball. Work is calming down, so I will get some opportunity to get some practice in especially the short game.

I sent my Octane Tour driver in because it was making a pinging noise like a titanium driver. I took out a demo and could hear the difference right away. Even though the performance was not altered, I sent it back to Cally to check it out. Hopefully they get it right.

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago, I get a call from an acquaintance that heard that I was a decent golfer and invited me to join his group for a freebie at a private club. I jumped on the offer knowing that the club has an awesome facility and a renovated course. We get there and the place is just immaculate. Soon, like the first tee, I discover that this is no ordinary group, but I think that it is just the first hole. A few holes later I realize that we are virtually the only group on the course, but we are on track for a 5 hour plus round. I have never prayed for rain before, but I was considering doing a rain dance. Finally on the 12th hole it opened up and the day was done and I was not the least bit disappointed even though I was playing just fine.

Last week, I played a scramble with my regular partner and two guys that invited us. It ended up being a 2 man scramble with us shooting 6 under without taking one shot from the guys. Still, it was fun, they were great company, the weather was beautiful, and we made it around in 4 hours!  I hit some really great shots and enjoyed the lunch they had waiting for us.

Saturday, I head out to the course and my friend calls and says that it is too nasty to play with rain squalls coming in from the coast. I turn around and go home only to go out later to hit balls. When I got to the range, it was a steady 20 with gusts.  I hit 2 buckets of balls, all punch shots. Funny, it straightened out my tempo and I was making serious contact in the middle of the face. You know you are hitting the ball great when you can hit into a crosswind and the ball holds its line.  We decide to play the following afternoon and the wind is still kicking. I am still hitting the ball great, but the wind is playing games with me downwind.  Funny, into the wind I am getting the distances fine, but downwind I ended up flying three greens from the fairway and not getting up and down. I end up 42-39 for an 81 which is not bad considering how crazy the weather was. For a lower spin option, I brought out a sleeve of the Gamer V2s and was able to hit some shots.  The few shots that stand out are a punch six iron from 155 into the breeze pin high 15 feet, and then the following hole a three wood into the middle of the fairway and a 54 to 2 feet for a kick in bird. The area of opportunity was distance downwind and getting up and down. I did manage a sandie from a plugged lie, so I did show some skill with the wedge, but the other wedges from greenside were not getting close.  Overall, it was a good day and I was very excited in hitting my irons so solid. I watched the Bobby Clampett video the other day about impact and felt that my breakdown was minimal if at all.  Those punch shots really pay off.

More range work today after work starting off hitting the punch shots to get that solid impact feeling. I moved quickly to the 3H and then was crushing my driver carrying it to the back net which I lasered at 255 (my swing speed increased at the last monitor session to 103ish).  Worked on the 2H and 3W, with the 3W being a little inconsistent.  It's an old Cally X Tour 15 degree with the TourPlatform 26.3 shaft.  After today, I was contemplating a new 3 wood or a new shaft as I have gone to launch monitors and can't really beat it with anything off the shelf. For some reason the ProLaunch Red keeps popping in my head.  Today I was carrying it 225-240, and the 2H about 225. I would like to get a solid 235-240 carry.

From there to the chipping/pitching area and it was a little sloppy working with range balls. I went to the putting green and was feeling the speed and then chipped a few with my 54 from some tight lies to short range and had everything within 4 feet.  I have to get that hinge and hold dialed in and today helped.

I went to see my club guy and explained the inconsistency with the 3 wood. He put it on the frequency machine and told me that it plays one flex higher (X) than the rest of my clubs. We discussed reshafting, but it would be just as easy to look into some new technology.  He loaned me a mint Titleist 909 F2 to try with the Diamana shaft.  I took it to the range and found it to be a great looking club.  I wanted to like it, but it launched very high and I was hitting it closer to my 2H losing distance.

A few days go by and I see that my local shop is having a sale. I know the manager there and explain the deal to him.  He frequencies the clubs and comes to the same conclusion.  I decide to look at what he has and check out the Callaway Octane Tour 13 and 15 models (I have the driver).  He checks out the shafts on the machine and they come out very similar to what I have in my driver and hybrids.  He said that he thought that Fuji made the shaft and that the Tour model would be a lot tighter and fit my swing better than what I was playing.  I go to the monitor and hit from the mat and launch the 13 with a 245-250 carry and 260 total.  I then try the 15 and carry it about 235-240 for a  250 total.  The second I hit the 15, he said "That's the one".  Based on the numbers, he explained that the 13 would launch a tad low and would have a hard time holding a green, while the 15 had optimal launch but was not as long.  It was not any longer than the old club either, just more consistent, which is what I was looking for. The club sets up beautifully with a neutral stance and an all black head.  I have him throw on a .580 Tour Wrap and told him to ring it up. Luckily the club was on sale and there was another discount so I saved over $70.

I went to the course and up to the range and hit 2 balls with a medium trajectory and a straight and piercing flight. I knew instantly that the 15 was the right choice. On the course I hit it from the tee 245, 255, and 260 (downwind).  From the fairway I got 240 into the breeze. I hit it a few other times and even the slight misses are more consistent than the old wood. On the last 2 holes, I hit 2  tee shots with it and the last one translated into a birdie. This 3 wood has made the cut and is officially in the bag!

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that this is golf tournament month. Last week we played a cool format called a shamble at the exclusive Mayacoo (JN's first course design)in West Palm Beach just minutes from my house. The rules are that you take the best drive, then everyone plays their ball in from there and then you take the best 2 scores. My group did well and we took third place and I won 2 dozen Pro Vx. I hit a lot of wedges and made a few birdies and a lot of pars. Mayacoo is a premiere private club and is immaculate with greens to die for. I can only dream! Thursday, I played the SouthWood course in Tallahassee (Fred Couples design) with my brother and had another good showing. I had a chance to hit the Octane Tour 3 wood and busted it 250 each time. Overall, I played well and busted a few drives, stuck a few irons, and made some putts for our team. We had a real player on our team that just ripped the ball and one par five hit a drive 360 blowing it 80 yards past me for the best drive of the day. The course was a great layout and one I would go back for. The following day in Clermont, (I drove back the night before and stayed with my brother), we played Palisades, a Joe Lee design in central Florida. Since he designed a few courses in my area as well like my home course, some features were recognizable. While not in the greatest shape and just overseeded, we decided to play it in the light rain that lasted the first nine holes. I started bogey-bogey and then birdied the par 5 3rd by sticking a wedge to 2 feet. A few more pars and bogeys and a missed birdie on 9, I finished the nine with a 40. The back nine started with a bird from 12 feet, a missed bird from 15 feet, and then I stuck an 8 iron for a bird from 4 feet. I finished the nine with a 37 for a 77. The course rating from 6700 was 72.3 with a 134 slope for a 4.0 performance. I really needed that, and even though I had a three putt and missed several u/ds I hit the ball really well tee to green. I didn't have the course on my program so no stats to post. Overall, it was a great weekend of swinging in balance with good tempo and gave me some confidence that I will draw upon in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I was back at the range today after a family weekend just working on solid contact.  With the wind in my face I found the rhythm quickly with a take away that felt a little shorter and slower and then rotate to finish with the lower body supporting the swing.  On a whim I brought my 3 iron and started puring it with the same tempo I was hitting the 9 and 6 iron.  I hit it so well, I took out the 3h out of the bag as it has been misbehaving as of late. It felt good because you know you are hitting the ball well when you smoking the 3i.

I finished practicing with putting keeping the angle solid through impact.  Speed control was good.   Sunday I am playing a stroke play event so I hope to get some more practice in this week.

I have been doing the drill that Erik sent me a while ago where you push your hips way out in front and start the swing in that position (hip and stop/weight forward drill - on you tube).   I tried this again because it has been super windy the last two times practicing and I wanted to lower my ball flight. I did it with my 9 iron into the wind and hit about 20 balls and they all came out driving lower. More importantly it gave me a sense of a more centered head when I went back to my regular swing and it carried throughout all my clubs.

I took this feeling to the course yesterday and was paired with two guys from out of town.  We were put into the throng of early morning golfers, the kind that keep you on pace and don't allow for much time to line up your putts because they are always in the fairway ready to play. The two guys with me delayed our group to the point that when it was my turn to play I felt a little rushed. I hit some decent drives and shots with my misses being over cooked straight draws. Not being able to convert too many u/ds and one penalty that hurt me, I turned in a 42.  On the back, I decided to be more deliberate.  I went on a tear, missing bird on 10, 4 feet for bird on 11, 9 feet for bird on 12, missing bird on 13, and missing bird from 6 feet on 14. On 15 I three putted from the other side of the green following a flier that took off, 16 putt for bird and par, 17 into the teeth, push the drive, chip out, knockdown wedge and save par.  The 18th hole is next with a forced carry and  water down the right, I hit a 3 wood that ducks left, 7 iron into the front bunker and that is where it came apart.  I had been in 2 bunkers on the front and knocked the shots within 10 feet both times.  This time I was 40 feet away and the bunker had just been refilled with sand and it was fluff 4 inches deep.  I didn't account for it with the first shot and it looked like poof, ball still in bunker.  The second shot I cranked my wedge open more to get more bounce and I dribble it up there for a double and a 37 for 79.  That's golf for you and I guarantee I will pay more attention to the composition of the sand next time.  The main thing was that to shoot a 79 in that wind was a great feeling and my trajectory and distance control was on target.

Today I am getting ready to play an afternoon tournament so it was a good tune-up.  The wind is starting to pick up so it should be challenging. It is stroke play and there is money so maybe I can post a decent number.

The wind was cranking again and the course was set up for a JR PGA event that finished in the morning.  They must have wanted to punish everyone because the pins were ridiculously hard, being set on peninsulas (any miss is automatically short sided), front, side, on ledges, near false fronts and backs.  The tips were pushed back and that's where we played from.  Even though it was not a long track at 6700, it is rated at 72.3 with a 134 slope, the set-up and wind made it a test.

I was the second person to tee off and with my pard out there about 260, I bust on on the 500 yard par 5 about 280 getting well past the dogleg.  My next shot had me 208 to the front and 220 to the pin and with the wind I hit 4 iron pin high to set up a 25 foot eagle putt which gave me an easy birdie to start.  I should have quit right there as the rest of the day was just tough, mostly trying to get distances right with the irons. The short game was suffering, especially with the pin placement and it was just a humbling experience.  It just reminds me how good the pros are as they see conditions much more severe and just tear it up.  I still had fun, smoked a cigar, and enjoyed the weather. It just would have been nice to break 80.  Again, golf is a learning experience and I learned a lot about myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on the range yesterday with the right thumb and forefinger off the shaft to try to get better impact through the ball.  It had an immediate effect as everything jumped off the face. I eventually put them back on lightly being very cognizant of the not allowing them to take over. Hogan calls the pincer fingers potential swing wreckers and after my practice session I could see why.  I also worked on the wedges and scoring irons because I have not been hitting enough greens.

This morning I warmed up and played early.  By 7:45 the wind was up coming from the East off the Atlantic. It was blowing steady between 20-30 mph all day with some very strong gusts. I managed to hang around on the front with some clutch up/downs even though I had one penalty stroke, a chunked chip, and a shanked 60.  On the back, I started off strong, but soon gave up on the driver after the 13th hole and hit 3 wood in for the last 5 holes. The 3 wood was clutch as I hit 6/7 fairways compared to 2/8 with the driver. The 3 wood just had a heavier feel to it and for some reason was easier to hit with all that wind blowing. There were several shots that I backed off of because of some gusts and even saw it move my ball on the green.  Putting was improved today with only 13 putts needed on the front and 30 overall.  I played the Pro V1x and used the Sharpie line to help line it up.  Today was probably the windiest that I have ever played in so an 81 was a decent score.

• 2 weeks later...

After last weekends struggle with the wind, I went for a tune-up.  The concepts focused on turning and extending down the line.  I started hitting some very solid shots as I was cutting my swing off.  Doing the work with the finger and thumb off the grip, having the hips more forward, and extending down the line really made for solid impact.  Additionally, it was pointed out that I had worked myself into thinking that closed was square so I opened up.  It had crept into my whole game, including my chipping.  I worked on the shortgame being reminded to open my stance, keep my arms free and to feel the swing.  After several flops with my 54 to emphasize the action (I never thought to use the 54 like this) we moved on to the hinge and hold.  Again, the closed stance showed up and the inside path made for sketchy results. Opening up, I was able to free up the swing and hit my spot with a few different trajectories.  Later, in the week, I practiced, especially the alignment piece.

Yesterday, was another honking day with the wind never getting below 20 mph.  These conditions are tough to shoot a good number in so I concentrated on hitting good shots.  With some more extension, I found a little more distance off the tee and rocked a drive 300 yards on 6  to set up my first green of the day.  The next hole played into a hurting crosswind and I banged another good one that left 235 to a back pin.  I smoked my 3 wood on a string and it lands pin high and rolls off the back.   The lie is tight, uphill, and into the grain and is grabbing at my ice swings.  I grip down on a pw and hit it a little firm and the ball rolls down the green and I end up with par.  The other highlights was birdie on 11 draining a 15 footer on top of my opponents  20 footer and advancing a buried lie to 5 feet a few holes later.  The wind was just tough and I hit several short irons long and left.  I am not sure if it was me trying to make good contact in the wind, the emphasis on extension, or the Pro V1x but my miss was long all day.  I will work on staying on the path because I felt that I did yank a couple of them.  With an 81 and an 82 in the big wind, I am hoping for some calmer days ahead to allow for some better scoring conditions.

To wrap this post up, we also added a new guy to our group that has been good.  He is another solid player and just a good guy.  I think having some guys that you enjoy hanging with makes the experience even better.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been four rounds since my last post and I have made some progress shooting 80, 78, 78, and 75. One area that I have picked up on is the par 5s (there are three at my home course). Through these four rounds I have been 4 under with 2 birdies today. I attribute this somewhat to a ball change to the Pro V1x which has allowed me to gain some confidence in my Driver, 3w, and 2H. With a decent drive, I have been able to get on or pin high more often. The X just seems to come off the longer clubs better. What I lose around the greens is really minimal as the X can stop, it is just not quite as much as the V1.  Another contributor to my tee shots is that I am teeing the ball a little lower so that only half the ball is over the club. I read somewhere that this would then make your miss the bottom of the club head which would produce less spin. I also think that it allows me to get through the ball more consistently even if it is just psychological. What is not psychological is hitting a draw more often and eliminating the block. This mentally freed me today and allowed me to use more of the course to my advantage with most of my misses just off the fairways.

I also have been experimenting with my putter. Last week I went ahead and made it a heavy 370 grams and it worked out today with the lowest number of putts needed all year with 28.  While this can also be attributed to hitting it pretty close today, I did not have any three putts. Couple that with no penalties and there are 2-3 shots saved.

Today's round was really enjoyable. I started with a birdie, just stuffing a little 60 to 6 feet. I had a little trouble on the 6th where I pushed my drive and it ended up on the bank with a little of the ball touching the water. I hit my 54 and put the ball in the fairway avoiding most of the splatter. My club had mud and moss all over it as I really went after it to get it up over the bank. After a bogey, I was able to get in with only one other bogey for a 38. I started the back with a solid par and then bogeyed the par 3 only to bounce back with 2 pars and then a bird on the only par 5. I smoked my best drive of the day 280 and hit 2H 225 next to the green and got up and down for birdie. Coming in I only had one other bogey to card a 37 and a 75 (3.1) from the back tees. Not too shabby. Another factor was getting up and down. I have really been struggling of late, but today I was over 50% scrambling going 5/9 (4/8 u/d, 1/1 ss).  One pattern that I had been noticing lately is that I have been knocking it too far past the pin with a fear of hitting it short. Today I made an effort to leave it short and I was much better off as I was able to get the ball much closer. All in all, ball striking along with getting it in the hole just gave me a lot of confidence that I will carry with me into the next round.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Wednesday was a solid round with the exception of 4 snap hooks that led to 6 shots. Aside from those loose shots, I was able to manage an 80 with 3 more bogeys and a birdie.  Before the round started, I put the 3H back in the bag which came in handy 3 times.  The shot of the day was hitting 3H from 217 from a fairway bunker to set up an easy 2 putt birdie on the par 5.  Putting was OK with 31 putts and I was 5/9 in scrambling.

I went to the range Thursday to try to work out the hook and was next to an old timer who had some incredible extension going down the line. A conversation started and he told me that I was hitting some nice shots.  I told him about the hooks and he watched me hit a few drivers. He said your not hooking now and told me to take a backswing and stop at the top. He pointed out that I was not hinging properly (ala the right hand snatch post) and that it was  putting me into a closed position at the top. He had me try a drill and soon the 7 irons were sailing. He told me to look him up on the Internet and the next time I saw him I could either thank him or curse him.  Turns out this guy was a well known pro up north and played on the senior tour.  (I did see him today and thanked him.)

That night my wife's cousin came into town (Class A Pro) and I told him my little story. At the range the next day he could see the little roll and had me doing a drill.  I hit some drivers with a little fade then just killed one. Then we went to the putting green where he noticed a slight head movement. He ad me putt with the ball on a quarter and to stare at the quarter. It tightened me up and I made a few 6 footers without too much problem.  He also gave me a few dozen Nike 20ix x balls to try. For the record he is a S&T; guy.

This morning I went out and played with my group and started by 3 jacking the first hole. I parred the next which is always tough and went bogey-bogey with a missed putt and a fried egg. I parred the next and then hit a big drive over the trees on the dogleg right #6 leaving a little 9i that I hit to 5 feet for bird. I missed a birdie putt on the next hole and then missed the green on #8 and chipped in for birdie #2. On #9 I hit another 9i to 5 feet with a slippery putt that dove at the last second and a 37. The back was not as eventful as I struggled on ten with a snap and failed to get u/d on the first 2 holes.  On 12 i just missed the green and had to chip over a hump downhill and almost holed it. Two more missed u/ds and I was 4 over on the back. Another stone dead pitch on 16 and 2 routine pars finished me at 40 for a 77. I had 31 putts and was just over 50% u/d to set my ending handicap to a 5.4.

Obviously this was the last round of the year. I was able to get a lot done ths year and made my goal of a solid 5, going as low as 4.9 this summer.  I want to thank everyone who has read my ramblings and wish you all a Happy New Year! Here's to a great 2012!

I have been working on that hinge drill almost every moment I can just by picking up a club and working that drill of half back to half through. It feels better and I have been checking it in the reflection of the slider off the patio. I am still messing with my putter making it lighter to encourage some acceleration.

Today was a gorgeous day and we were able to get out about noon. The first tee shot I just hammered 290 with a slight draw down the left side to set up a routine par. The second hole is a par 3 that I stuffed an 8i to 4 feet and a bird. The next hole is a 520 yard par 5 and another hammered drive and a hybrid pin high set up a pitch to 7 feet and 2 putts. Going into nine I was even par with 6/6 fairways and 7/8 greens. I pulled my tee shot and it hit a tree which resulted in short and unplayable setting up a double for 38.

The back started with another strong drive and par. I pushed my drive on the next hole and was barely on in regulation and 3 jacked from 50 feet. The 12th came with an ugly snap on the 430 yard par 4 and a punch out to 180. Into the wind I hit a low 4i and made bogey. Finally at the par 3 14th, I made an 18 footer for bird and then a 10 footer on the next hole to save par. On 17 I hit a brilliant pitch to 4 feet only to miss and then short sided myself on 18 for another bogey and a 39 for a 77.

On the day I hit 10/14 fairways (71%), 11 greens, was 40% scrambling and had 33 putts.  The driver really improved today and hitting more fairways means hitting more greens. There were too many putts left out there so I will be practicing inside 10 feet. I am seriously considering trying a belly putter and will have one sent from my cousin next week.  I am trying to play again Wednesday as it is my last day off before I go back to work. Four of the last five rounds have seen the seventies so I am starting to feel really good about my game and my goal to get into the 4s.

• 2 weeks later...
I played the following Wednesday and it was barely cracking 45 when we started. Hole one was a smooth drive about 265 with a wedge and 3 putt. It's hard to putt when you can't feel your hands. Shot 80 with 3 birdies (canned one from the bunker, two putt on reached par 5, and made a 15 footer). I had what I call my Bubba Watson hole. I hit a downwind driver that hit the downslope of the landing area and ran out to 320 yards. I was left with 160 and a smooth 8 iron and 2 putts made for an easy birdie. I still need to get rid of the dreaded snapper as it bit me a few more times. Saturday I shot 83 and just struggled with no feel. It was cold and I was short all day. I did make a few putts but it was a tough going. The highlight hole was the first hole, a par 5. I hit my opening tee shot 270 and advanced my 2h to the fringe for a pitch and a 9 footer. Well, the big news is that Belly is in. I just received my Scotty Cameron Futura mid from the cuz. I took it out last night and made the five 5 footers in a row. I practiced for 25 minutes and I realized that getting the distance will be the biggest adjustment to make but loved it 10 feet and in. This morning I had it cut down to 41.5 so it fits me better. I play Sunday and it's in the line-up. The last bit is that I hope you guys are wearing your sunscreen. I just had the MOHs surgery that left 8 stitches under my eye to remove some skin cancer. I was lucky that I saw something odd and went right in. The doc said that it would have been a lot worse if I had left it and it would have eventually worked into my eye. No doubt it was from all the South Florida water sports of my youth and an inconsistent use of sunscreen.

Well, I have been practicing with the belly putter and it is promising. The last two rounds (80 and 82) both took 32 putts. So overnight with the belly, I am putting as good as I normally putt the way I have been doing it the last 20+ years. This is pretty exciting as I feel that I still am on a learning curve.

The first round I had 2 three putts (distance control) and 6 one putts with the longest putt made being 7 feet. Today I had 1 three putt and 5 one putts with a 30 foot bomb and a 10 footer. I used the Sharpie line and just rolled it true. I got quick on a sharply breaking 3 footer and learned to stay smooth and not to second guess the line when you are over your putt (ie trust your read). While I had the same amount of putts, today's misses were better misses.

I decided to not use the Nike 20XI X anymore, I don't have the swing speed to feel like I am compressing them well. I will try the Nike Tour One's that are left and I also have my Pro V1X s that I really like if those don't work out.

There was nothing spectacular about Saturday's 78. I hung in with the belly and had 32 putts (again), with no 3 putts. I did make the longest putt of the year from the back of the green 63 feet away. Other than that it was pretty solid, but bland. Playing with the cuz (S&T; instructor), he did catch me swaying early on a pw and 9 iron that cost me a double, but he didn't try to convert me. I got some new insight and a few things to practice this week. Played the Pro V1x and I have it in my head that it is the best ball for me. U/ds were lacking as I overplayed everything. The shot of the day was my drive on the back cutting a dog leg right off by carrying the corner of the pond that requires a 215-235 yard carry depending how much of it you want to challenge. I hit a hard fade that cut it at the 220 mark and took it out to the 255 mark right in the middle of the fairway.

Note: This thread is 1354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!