IGNORED

Random Yardage Question

Note: This thread is 4966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit my PW 115, my 7i 145 (carry). I swing my driver around 95 mph (stiff shaft). How far should I be hitting the ball with driver, 4w, and 3h? (Decent contact). I just want an opinion about reasonable yardages to shoot for at that swing speed or lower.

I hit my PW 115, my 7i 145 (carry). I swing my driver around 95 mph (stiff shaft). How far should I be hitting the ball with driver, 4w, and 3i? (Decent contact) I don't want a discussion on smash factor, ball speed, center contact, etc. Just your opinion about a number

You don't want any science or data to back up the number? You just want a number?

400 You should be driving the ball 400 yards.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Unfortunately, distance isn't a single variable formula (swing speed); contact angle/position, ball trajectory/speed, etc play a role in how far the ball is going to travel (aside from external factors like wind and downhill shots). For me, I tend to hit my 7i around 160-165 and my drives carry to around 245.

Sticks: Burner SF 9.5, 15, 19 | MX-300 4-GW | CG15 56.14, 60.12 | BS Tour #9
Accessories: Tour 360 4.0 | Revolution Stand Bag | GolfShot iPhone App
Last Round: 82 (70)

at a swing speed of about 95mph, i'd say on average clean contact, you can expect to see drives around 230.

PS: I pulled that number out my ass and I have no mathematical equation to back it up...SHANKS A MILLION, I NEED YOUR FORMULA!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

This is a fun little online calculator. If you are honest with yourself about your skill level and swing mechanics, it generates fairly accurate estimates for your shots:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Why you got a stiff shaft with a 95 mph swing speed

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

at a swing speed of about 95mph, i'd say on average clean contact, you can expect to see drives around 230.

It's pretty complicated.

SS x 2.5 95 x 2.5 = 237.5

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This is a fun little online calculator. If you are honest with yourself about your skill level and swing mechanics, it generates fairly accurate estimates for your shots:

You know what...that online calculator is pretty close. It had my average drives at 271, with a long of 286 which is pretty accurate. I usually figure about 10 yds difference between irons, but they have 13 or so yards between iron distances. Maybe that's my problem with sometimes coming up short.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

You know what...that online calculator is pretty close. It had my average drives at 271, with a long of 286 which is pretty accurate. I usually figure about 10 yds difference between irons, but they have 13 or so yards between iron distances. Maybe that's my problem with sometimes coming up short.

I don't think it's got all the pieces there that affect distance, but it's close. The distances fall short in the estimation of wedges and short irons, but it's within +/- 5 yards for Driver through 7 iron or so.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

It's a choose your own adventure.

Unfortunately, it can't turn a 95 mph swing and 130 yard 7 iron into a 300 yarder with the boom stick... darn it.

That calculator is really really close for my irons, way over estimateing my woods and underestamting my wedges but it was almost on point with all my irons

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The calculator is pretty close but its estimating my drives 10 yards long and my pitching wedge 20 yards short. It says 269 yard driver and 109 yard PW. I don't think I've ever seen someone hit a 270 yard drive and only hit their PW 110 yards.

FT-9 I-Mix 9° Driver w/ Fubuki Stiff shaft
X 5 Wood
X 3 Hybrid
FP II Irons 4-GW
54° and 60° C-Grind Wedges Karsten Zing Putter Tour I ball

The calculator is pretty close but its estimating my drives 10 yards long and my pitching wedge 20 yards short. It says 269 yard driver and 109 yard PW. I don't think I've ever seen someone hit a 270 yard drive and only hit their PW 110 yards.

I have, but it depends on set makeup.

I have more than one set of blades from the 1950s - solid 9 with one set is 130. With another set a smooth 9 iron goes ~ 120. With my Apex blades from 1994 a smooth 9 iron is ~ 160 yards which is just plain stupid so I never use them.

I'd say from 110, I pull a pitching wedge more often than not. I can hit my SW that far, hell, I can nuke my 60 that far if I put an Overton-esque swing on it. But, with wedges, I tend to go up a club for control. My PW is a traditional loft (47 degrees) so I get enough spin to hold a 'trapped' shot pretty well. Hitting a really hard wedge up high into the wind and watching it blow offline or spin weird because of the wind isn't worth it for me.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I'd say from 110, I pull a pitching wedge more often than not. I can hit my SW that far, hell, I can nuke my 60 that far if I put an Overton-esque swing on it. But, with wedges, I tend to go up a club for control. My PW is a traditional loft (47 degrees) so I get enough spin to hold a 'trapped' shot pretty well. Hitting a really hard wedge up high into the wind and watching it blow offline or spin weird because of the wind isn't worth it for me.

Yeah I agree. I can make my 60° go 100 yards but its pointless. 110 yards for PW with an average short iron swing for someone that hits driver 270 yards just seems pretty short. My GW (50°) is about 117 and my PW (45°) is just under 130 yards.

Thats such a huge difference in distance Sean. I remember seeing Phil Michelson hit a 190 yard 8 iron not to long ago and that really made me wonder if it was just the club. It was 180 to the hole and he flew it over the green .

FT-9 I-Mix 9° Driver w/ Fubuki Stiff shaft
X 5 Wood
X 3 Hybrid
FP II Irons 4-GW
54° and 60° C-Grind Wedges Karsten Zing Putter Tour I ball

Why you got a stiff shaft with a 95 mph swing speed

95 mph is on the edge between R and S flex, for most it is better to for S then.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 4966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!