IGNORED

Cheap set of starter clubs

WestTnbum
Note: This thread is 4977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of the guys I work with is starting to play golf with me. He is looking for a starter set, he has $130 dollars to work with and he wanted me to ask the question here. Dick's has a set of Acuity Voltage for $125 and Target has a set of topflite or tour pro do not remember which but they are on clearance for $110. We have checked all the pawn shops we felt safe enough to enter and even checked Golfsmith, Edwin Watts, and the local used repair shop and have not found much. Not much on craigslist here as well so are these two sets for the money or do we keep looking?

I would say check other Golfsmiths. My local golfsmith has numerous sets of callaways and taylormades for < 150. I got my used set of callaways 4-AW,SW,LW,PW for $102. Check out Ebay also for used clubs. You can find some really good deals. I also picked up a new burner driver for 50$

He should try to get a used set of irons off BST, eBay, or craigslist. You can find a pretty decent set for $120. Probably for the driver, wedges, and putter try to get hand me downs until he can invest in replacements. That's what I think his best course of action is.

« Keith »

If he is starting off sometime you can borrow a set from friends or relative with an extra set, until he knows if he will continue with golf.

If a set is not available a use set at your local golf store might be the best bet since you can try out the set before purchaseing. I would also consider ebay but with guidance with someone knowledge about golf clubs and ideally if they are able to hit the club somewhere else before purchasing online.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I would say to buy a decent set of clubs to learn to hit. It will save you time and money in the long run.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

188.98 I just paid for a pair of wilson Ci7's brand new with uniflex shafts from Golf tee's etc. I signed up for their mailing list and it was an extra 10% off. Hopefully these will be nice and last this beginner.

I would stick with Golfsmith so he could test hit the clubs. If he's new to golf, he doesn't know enough about club design and shafts to make the choice himself.

If he could combine lessons with club selection, this would get him started best. He could also try some boxed sets - he could test-hit them at the golf shops that sell them, and they would get him through the first couple of years.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Id suggest just going to a big box store like Target, Walmart or Dicks and just get a no-name set. You can usually get a decent new set for $100-$200.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'd rather start with a quality used set off kijiji or craigslist than a new set that was $130. I'd be wondering what kind of clubs could they make at a profit for $130? Or maybe that's just me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!