IGNORED

Bandon Courses - Anyone Played?

JFK
Note: This thread is 6363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would be interested to know if anyone has made the trip out to SW Oregon to play the 3 Bandon courses... I have read/heard so much about them over the past few years I am thinking of making the trip - all the write-ups make it seem like nirvana... But it is such a long trip from the east coast (not to mention a rather expensive endevour) - has anyone played all three? If so, can you share some of your thoughts.... thanks

I haven't played them, nor have I ever been to Oregon. This trip is probably #1 on my list, however. I definitely want to get out there eventually. The courses will probably be yesterday's news by the time I get my sorry butt out there though.

The courses are supposedly quite affordable compared to other courses in the top 100 and so on. The airfare and room/board would probably be the big part of the trip. The actual golf probably wouldn't break you too badly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played the Bandon Trails course.

We stayed the night before in one of their "cottages" which are basically beautiful homes designed to house a foursome. Heated tile floors in the bathrooms, flat screen TVs in every room, back patio overlooking a lake, etc. etc. Very nice.

The property is huge, but there is a fantastic shuttle service. No matter where you are, be it your room, a restaurant, the range, the lounge, all you have to do is pick up the nearest phone and you'll have a ride to wherever you're headed in two minutes.

The course was amazing, but it was pouring rain and about 38 degrees with 40 mph wind, so that made it kind of a tough day. I'm glad I wasn't paying, but I can't wait to go back.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• 5 weeks later...
I havn't played the newest one, but I other other two are sublime. I grew up in Oregon and was living there when they were first built. It's definately worth the trip. It's the closest you'll get to a Scottish links course in the states (at least the first course is...sorry I dont' remember all of the names).

Just don't go in the winter or spring if you don't want to use your umbrella. October would be the best time, I think the prices will have gone down and the weather is still really good (but anything before July, forget it)

I have made 3 trips up to Bandon and had the chance to play opening day for the Trails course. I have also played Pebble and had that experience on all the courses.... I have also played Pumpkin Ridge Private.

Pumpkin Ridge. Great golf course. Period. Memorable. A great course.

Pebble - solid and memorable. A lot of mystique/ exclusivity so sometimes hard to separate, however, world class (and expensive). Pebble is not that hard of a course (assuming no weather), Spyglass harder and first few holes are amazing. Poppy Hills is a major sleeper and my personal favorite and Spanish Bay... needs to be redone so that it is has ONE personality, not 3....

All that being said.. the Bandon experience is the purest and most spiritual golfing experience I have had... not once, but every time i have been there.... with weather, without weather, doesnt matter. I dont know what is in the water up there, but it is a REQUIREMENT IF YOU love golf. I will bring my sons there when they are old enough, BEFORE PEBBLE any day.

Bandon is pure, it is golf, it is a soulful experience. There is no pretense, it is ALL about the game.

Bandon Dunes, amazing, pure and more open. (play it first)
Pacific Dunes - The best course up there.. PERIOD. One of the great walks in golf.
Trails- Off the water, less spiritual, so it is 3rd in line, but, still a great walk and great golf.

Pacific and Bandon are can be LIFE CHANGING (golf life). ...

So, it appears I like the place

Seth

I just checked out Bandon Dunes online and it looks awesome. A little piece of Scotland in Oregon? If this is your cup of tea you should make your way to Scotland where there are plenty more courses like this. Only a 6 hour flight from North East USA.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Note: This thread is 6363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!