IGNORED

When does questioning a handicap go too far?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing in a GAM (Golf Assoc. of Michigan) Tournament next week (qualifier was last month) and I get a call from them a week before the competition because I shot 76 in the qualifier (3.4 differential, I am an 8.6 index) questioning whether or not I have been posting all my scores and accurately? Never mind that I have 73, 75, and 78 figured in my index (I've posted 20+ rounds this year, including my 9-hole league scores) as well as a few scores in the 70's last year. To boot, I have played in numerous of their events over the past few years with scores of 78, 81, 84, 84 - would I really be sandbagging?

Makes me even more motivated to go out there and throw up a low number next week.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I'm playing in a GAM (Golf Assoc. of Michigan) Tournament next week (qualifier was last month) and I get a call from them a week before the competition because I shot 76 in the qualifier (3.4 differential, I am an 8.6 index) questioning whether or not I have been posting all my scores and accurately? Never mind that I have 73, 75, and 78 figured in my index (I've posted 20+ rounds this year, including my 9-hole league scores) as well as a few scores in the 70's last year. To boot, I have played in numerous of their events over the past few years with scores of 78, 81, 84, 84 - would I really be sandbagging?

Your net differential was 5.2, which, according to the USGA, is

very immprobable . That said, odds are just odds and even if the odds are 500:1 against, with that many players out there it's not unreasonable that someone's going to shoot a game that good, it just happened to be you. Especially if you have some more inconsistent scores and post some lower ones on occation, it should be clear from your history that you're capable of doing so. Your tournament history would suggest that this isn't normal. I would assume you would be fine if you explained that to them.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

They are trying to ensure a level playing field for all participants. In order to keep people entering their tournaments, they are well within their rights to try to verify handicaps. We have all heard tales of 12 handicappers who somehow shoot a 73 in a net tournament. Doesn't sit too well with most people when that happens, and could lead to less entrants in the future.

A very rough rule of thumb is that one's handicap is close to their 2nd lowest score over par. In your case, that would be around a 3 (75-72). I don't think they are going too far in verifying your scores.

I can see how you would be a little disturbed at the line of questioning, but that's what they are supposed to do. Just answer truthfully and don't let it get in your head.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

When does it go too far? Calling you up, doesn't seem too far to me. Calling your pro would be on the edge, calling you playing partners woud be too far.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Sounds like they run a tight ship at the Golf Association of Michigan. Kudos to them. And props to you for playing well.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

LOL, of course I go out today in a warm-up round today and shoot 93. Much tougher course than I'll be playing tomorrow, but I hit 7 bunkers and didn't get up and down a single time, which killed anything. Drove the ball great, iron play was poor and hit only one putt outside 5 feet.

Curiously, the rating and slope of the course I played today was slightly less than the tournament course I play tomorrow, but the tournament course seemed much easier. Today's course was Coyote Preserve in Fenton, MI which is modern Arnold Palmer course - trouble on most holes, deep bunkers - lots of places to give away shots - I played it from about 6200 yards. The Lochmoor Club where the tournament is tomorrow is a classic old country club - very flat, bunkers are not severe, and everything is in front of you - plays from 6800 yards and I shot 82 there in a practice round and could have easily shot in the 70's.

Ah well, what happens happens. I just don't want to GAM giving me crap if I shoot a good round tomorrow - and I'm determined to do it.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I just don't want to GAM giving me crap if I shoot a good round tomorrow - and I'm determined to do it.

Good for you man, that's the attitude. All you can do is stay positive and affect your space. Whatever they do is out of your control. Best of luck to you.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!