IGNORED

Deutsche Bank - Miller Analysis of Woods

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the side by side Miller analysis, I could have sworn Woods' back leg looked ramrod straight. I kaboshed my recording, but was he doing that before?

Is he incorporating SnT piece by piece?

He looked more tilted, but am I correct in saying he doesn't tilt as much as say a Charlie Wi?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
In the side by side Miller analysis, I could have sworn Woods' back leg looked ramrod straight. I kaboshed my recording, but was he doing that before?

I haven't gotten to it yet but I might record it when that part comes up.

Is he incorporating SnT piece by piece?

Since some large percentage of what Sean Foley knows is S&T;, yeah.

He looked more tilted, but am I correct in saying he doesn't tilt as much as say a Charlie Wi?

Was it a face-on or down-the-line view? DTL you'd just see it in his shoulder pitch, mostly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ah - the pane on the right, the shoulder plane looked steeper although not that much compared to the left pane, but I was thinking I was wrong and was hoping someone could shed some light. Haven't gotten a chance to look at the video yet, I will put it in the to watch list!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Ah - the pane on the right, the shoulder plane looked steeper although not that much compared to the left pane, but I was thinking I was wrong and was hoping someone could shed some light. Haven't gotten a chance to look at the video yet, I will put it in the to watch list!

I've seen the analysis now and recorded it. I'll post it to YouTube later. I wish Gary Koch hadn't drawn all over it and I think what he said was mostly wrong. I also think the changes were incredibly small at this point, and this off-season Tiger will really hammer on some things. This is almost a "quick fix" version to get him through to the end of playing this year.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awesome.

Miller also made the point IIRC that his right heel was off the ground more in the new swing because of a more aggressive upper body turn or something like that.

Steve

I watched one Tiger analysis live today. Not sure if it is the same one you guys are talking about, but it was Tiger from June of this year (wearing all white) against him from this week (today I think, but I'm not positive). He said some about Tiger' shoulder plane and weight shift, and he mentioned his right heel I believe. He spent a lot of time on his right elbow/armpit, but I think he was sort of misguided because the June video was from a very low angle, so any more space between his right arm and ribcage would have been exacerbated by the camera angle.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

What shocked me was the position of the club at the top. That change was really huge. The other thing, the club and the arms, and their relationship. The old swing was more flat arms, steep club, and the newer one seemed opposite.

I believe they said Foley was having Tiger work on specific drills to get him to lift his right heel earlier and higher. Tiger in his old swing preferred to keep it planted longer and not lift it up as high.

Joe Paradiso

Here's a good question. We know his head drops, but why ? My head, for example, raises in the swing. My inclination (spine angle, more or less) stays the same, but my head pops up. Just a habit, I guess? Anyway, why does Tiger drop it?

• Administrator
Here's a good question. We know his head drops, but

Why does a basketball player lower his center of gravity prior to going up for a dunk?

So he can use the ground as leverage to "jump" more.

• Administrator
So, like feint motion?

What the heck is "feint motion"? This isn't fencing, and there's nothing "deceptive" about it... No. If I tell you to jump high you won't do it from a standing position. You'll crouch and then explode upwards. Like Woods.

I don't know if it's the real reason, but commentators have said that he does it to put more power into the swing, driving down into the ball.

Joe Paradiso

What the heck is "feint motion"? This isn't fencing, and there's nothing "deceptive" about it... No. If I tell you to jump high you won't do it from a standing position. You'll crouch and then explode upwards. Like Woods.

Right term, wrong sport. Feint motion is the process, in racing, of turning slightly to one direction before turning to the other. It allows a slightly wider arc, preloading the suspension, etc. You see people making U-turns move slightly right before executing the U turn. Same deal.

• Administrator
Right term, wrong sport. Feint motion is the process, in racing, of turning slightly to one direction before turning to the other. It allows a slightly wider arc, preloading the suspension, etc. You see people making U-turns move slightly right before executing the U turn. Same deal.

OK, then no, not at all "feint motion." You simply can't jump as high standing straight as you can from a squat.

The biggest thing I noticed was how flat his wrist is now. It was bowed out beyond belief before. No wonder he had a case of the lefts.

Yeah, and that's a fairly tricky change to make. I'm sure he's made at least a few swings where he still has it a bit bowed at the top. Still, I wouldn't think he could make that change that fast.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

I'm not going to comment on it yet, except to say that:

a) the analysis is rushed, because Tiger's not going to go to 100% the way Foley will have him swinging the club in a few weeks, and

b) the analysis isn't very good.

Oh, and c) the camera angles aren't the same.

Note: This thread is 4978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!