IGNORED

Cheaters you have see on the golf course, tournaments or otherwise

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is the place to talk about situations where you have seen and even exposed cheaters on the golf course. Even if its unintentional cheating (someone didn't know the rules and kept going), feel free to mention it.

I will start.

Back in an IGA tournament, a kid I absolutely dispised was in my group. He was having a really bad day..on one hand I felt bad for him, on another I didn't. Well, he blocks this iron very very far right...I know its in the hazard with no chance of rescue...he probably knows it. My ball goes on the opposite side of the hole. I get to my ball and look over in his direction just as he reaches into his pocket and tosses a golf ball on the ground in the "area" his ball might have landed if God himself grabbed it out of the hazard. He saw me looking in his direction and after hitting his shot came over and said..."hey, that was my ball, you can check it if you want". I was a chickensh*t for some reason and said "no no, I believe you" even though I flat out lied..he was playing awful anyways so whatever.

The same guy had a habit of making noise in the middle of your backswing. If you were last to hit, he made it a point to start walking with his bad literally just as you approached impact.

On a personal note, I have made several infractions myself as a junior player completely unintentional and in fact probably handled the resolution completely wrong. One tournament I wasn't paying attention walking down the middle of the fairway and kicked the other guys ball like 20 feet forward. We never replaced its position and didn't apply a penalty LMAO.

If I think of more I will post them, but those are off the top of my head.

We used to play with this guy that would have a hole inside his pocket. Whenever he hit a bad shot (and they were often as he sprayed them all over the course) he would ALWAYS find his ball. We later figured out that he was dropping a ball out of his pocket. It would go 150 yards into the woods and he would still find it....and he wouldn't even be looking in the right spot. We had another friend that would hit his ball into the woods about 150 yards down the fairway....he wouldn't find his ball but he would drop about 300 yards down the fairway because he "can" hit the ball that far.

We never called either one of them out because it was more satisfying knowing that we beat them while they were cheating.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The last round of golf I played the 5th round in a tournament me and a few of my friends are playing for fun. I was shot for shot with my buddy for bogey on a real tough par 4 that was like 350 but 200 straight uphill and then a 150 dogleg.

Anyways we both have 6ft putts for bogey. My friend leaves it on the edge and I hole it, after he taps it in he goes "•••• 6" then on the next hole the kid who was keeping score goes what did you get? He says "five" I was like uhhhhhhhhhhh.. Didnt say anything he wound up winning by 1 stroke damnit ><
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

We had another friend that would hit his ball into the woods about 150 yards down the fairway....he wouldn't find his ball but he would drop about 300 yards down the fairway because he "can" hit the ball that far.

Even if he dropped 150 yards out, he’s breaking the rules/cheating.

Lost ball= go back to the tee and rehit.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I have a family member who basically plays from the fairway every hole, because he kicks his ball out or just drops from there. It doesn't bother me until we get to the end of the round and he says he "beat" me by a stroke.

Cheating in golf, is like cheating on a diet, eventually the time will come to get on the scale and the numbers don't lie. I know a few guys who's low handicaps are more a result of their liberal interpretation or outright breaking of the rules than their skills. Here are some classics;

1) The drop the ball, walk into the woods, walk back out and act amazed cause you swore it went in the woods
2) Picking up the ball on the green when it's 3-4 feet away from the cup cause they don't miss from that distance.
3) Liberal use of mulligans off the tee, but forgetting to count the swing
4) Kick the ball out of the nasty rough for a better lie when no one is looking
5) Total whiffs count as practice swings on weird or difficult lies.

These are the same guys that can't understand why when they are in real tournaments they seem to always have the "worst" rounds of their lives. The reality is they played at their regular level, they just couldn't cheat, and their games aren't improving as a result.
  • Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

One year when I played in high school we were playing a round and were on the 8th. We played in foursomes and it was me, my brother and two guys from the other team. So we get up to the green and one of the guys on the other team has a 5 footer for par or something like that... anyways, he putts and puts it about a foot from the hole and then walks up and scoops up his ball like its a gimme. He was the last one that had needed to putt out, and so walked off the green, grabs his bag and starts going to the next hole; I figure whatever and write down that he did not finish on the 8th and we complete our round (9 holes). So at the end of our round when we're going over the scores I bring it up and he insists that he tapped in which was complete bullshit. His buddy said that he did too and my brother had walked off the green to put his putter back and didn't actually see it happen so it was basically my word against his. The coaches decided that we should just give it to him and move on. Still pisses me off.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah, but we were easy on them in the games we played. Plus it just helps speed things up if they didn't hit a provisional. I had no issues with the drop (because we had agreed on it earlier) but don't take another 100 yards when I am already giving you that much.

That's not how we usually play....just the way we played with these guys.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

When my son played Junior Golf tournaments there was a local kid who's mother allways came to his tournaments. She would rent a cart and watch her son play. She would drive ahead and act as a spotter. Funny, she would only spot her son's ball.
One tournament I noticed that she had 3 balls in the ball holder of the cart. He son would hit a shot in the woods and she would allways find his ball while the group was walking up from the tee. I noticed that the ball supply in the cart was getting smaller with each stray shot he hit....
You can draw your own conclusions, but, I'm pretty sure what was happening!!!

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

Cheating in golf, is like cheating on a diet, eventually the time will come to get on the scale and the numbers don't lie. I know a few guys who's low handicaps are more a result of their liberal interpretation or outright breaking of the rules than their skills. Here are some classics;

Serious question. For (5), if you literally 100% whiff and don't disturb the ball AT ALL with the weight of your feet or wind of the swing of brushing the grass or whatever, doesn't that actually not count as a swing? I've never actually whiffed on a swing, but I always thought the rule was sort of like the error rule in baseball. If the fielder doesn't even touch the ball technically it's not an error.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

At a course I play at in East Texas, everyone moves the ball around (move it out of divots or low spots), gets a clubs length of free relief, will set the ball up on top of the rough, and play from the middle tees when they could shoot mid-70's from the back. Even happens in the tournaments. The rough is real deep and if you lose a ball in it, you drop for free, no penalty.

In my stand bag....

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5
3 wood: R9 TP
Irons: R9 TP

Wedges: xFT 52*, 56*, 60* Putter: Circa '62 #3

Ball: Penta TP #13

I didn't play golf in high school (at all, much less for my high school), but the guy who was coach when I attended was notorious for

encouraging this sort of behavior. I didn't know what a big deal it was until I took up golf.
Serious question. For (5), if you literally 100% whiff and don't disturb the ball AT ALL with the weight of your feet or wind of the swing of brushing the grass or whatever, doesn't that actually not count as a swing? I've never actually whiffed on a swing, but I always thought the rule was sort of like the error rule in baseball. If the fielder doesn't even touch the ball technically it's not an error.

It's a stroke if you intended to hit the ball, whether or not you succeeded.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I played in a regional tournament and this guy hit his tee shot in the woods on the right on the 15th hole. After hitting a provisional ball which goes in the same direction, I got look for the third guys ball that flew into the woods on the left. After finding his ball, we move over to find the other guys ball. While we were looking for the 3rd guys ball, he walks over to his ball which is about 70 meters away from us. So we walk over to his ball and we see him walk back from the 16th fairway with a ball in hand (one of his two shots went OB). we ask the group walking up the 16th (adjacent hole) whether it was his first or second ball and they all say it was the second one and that the first hit the middle of the 16th fairway while they were walking up to their second shots. he insists that the ball in the woods is his first one. what surprises me is that his ball is in a perfect lie and has a gap between the trees right to the green. the other guy and i doubt him, seeing as he tried to make a bogey into a par twice on the front nine. we say that we believe him, only to think he cheats again on 18 where he finds his ball (identical to the one he had played from the tee) a couple of feet past the ob line. oddly enough, i saw his tee shot land into the thick rough that is 25 yards short of where the ob cuts the dogleg. once again, we don't confront him with the fact. he ends up beating me by a couple of strokes when in reality he should be disqualified for cheating/have at least 4 more strokes from penalties.

For thre record breaking the rules and cheating are not the same. Cheating requires deception. I rarely play a round with out breaking the rules of golf - 1' gimmee are my weakness. However as all our playing partners agree to this, this is not cheating.

• Upvote 1
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

For thre record breaking the rules and cheating are not the same. Cheating requires deception. I rarely play a round with out breaking the rules of golf - 1' gimmee are my weakness. However as all our playing partners agree to this, this is not cheating.

I'd agree it's not cheating if you aren't turning in your "partner agreed upon adjusted scores" for use in determining your handicap.

Joe Paradiso

I'd agree it's not cheating if you aren't turning in your "partner agreed upon adjusted scores" for use in determining your handicap.

Yes a no. Golf rules state that if you did not finish a hole for hdcp purposes you should record the score you were likely to make. Takiing a give me is not finishing a hole - but you record the score you wold likely have gotten.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

My Dad is a dirty cheater and he knows it. It's actually quite comical because none of us care and he makes it fun. He's such an awful golfer we see no reason to make him hit from behind trees or hit a shot just once, not 5 times.

Recreational round - do whatever makes it fun
Competitive round - follow the rules

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

One of my best friends, with whom I golf a ton with, has had a constant issue with putts inside 3' and just picking up. He doesn't do it maliciously, though. I called him out on it two months ago because myself and another one of our friends always have putted out, and there are times I have missed a 2-3' putt costing me a stroke. I told the guy, look, the 3 of us aren't in a position anymore to have gimmes or mulligans or any of that stuff. Our goal for the 3 of us is to get better and those types of things don't help.

I have emailed them many, many rules decisions that we weren't aware of. The OB one is the biggest because we used to just take a drop two club lengths where the ball crossed OB but it would only be a 1 stroke penalty. Now we play it correctly (either hit a provisional or take two stroke penalty on the drop); you aren't going to walk back to the tee on mid-weekday round if you find out your ball is OB, even though you weren't sure it was.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!