IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Interesting feels - do you find it easy to focus on three things at the same time? I guess 1 is purely setup, but I find it tough to do more than one at once.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, b101 said:

Interesting feels - do you find it easy to focus on three things at the same time? I guess 1 is purely setup, but I find it tough to do more than one at once.

When I'm hitting a shot I just have one swing thought/feel. Also the set-up thought is more of a "checklist" type of thing and the backswing feels really haven't changed much in the last year. Those are pieces I just need to stay on top of, not really trying to change anything.

When I'm going through the drills that I posted, that's when I'm mostly focusing on the downswing piece and chancing the picture.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing pretty good with the left hip feel I described in previous posts and started to add more of the opening piece. Feel from 4 is to move my left knee "down and around" and really thrust. Here's how I'm working on it.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Practice #golfswing

A video posted by Michael Mc Loughlin (@mvmac01) on

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Head going a bit too far forward for my liking from A4-5 but the strike was good and the thrust piece is getting better. Priorities....;-)

Last swing of 2015 #happynewyear #golfswing #itwasagoodone

A video posted by Michael McLoughlin (@mvmac01) on

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Head going a bit too far forward for my liking from A4-5 but the strike was good and the thrust piece is getting better. Priorities....;-)

I like how the grip matches your shirt! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I like how the grip matches your shirt! 

Like I said, priorities :-P

Mike McLoughlin

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Ohh.. that sound!! Happy 2016 man..

I thought I heard fireworks last night. Turns out it was just Mike hitting some 6 irons.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 1 month later...

Some practice from today. Feeling like I increase my hip/shoulder slants from 4-5 as I rotate so the thrust piece is easier or more "instinctual". 

Mike McLoughlin

Mike,

I went through and looked at the thread. You had a picture that said shoulders are too closed at p5 and something else. I def see that in my swing. I need to hit a ball feeling my arms being much faster than shoulders in transition. "Feeling" is key, I doubt I could over do it. Great thread!

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

@mvmac What I think will help you tremendously is to make some swings using only your arms and shoulders as much as possible, especially on the through swing. Try to really stay back and let the club swing in front of you. In your swing the body is a bit in front of the arms, on the backswing as well. On the backswing the hips and knees open up before the club has gone very far. Let the club get going before the body going back. On the forward swing, try to keep your back to the target longer. This is a common swing concept being taught now "back to the target." If the body is too far in front of the arms there is very little control over impact, and you have to really stay ahead of it. If you can get the arms to be more in control of the forward swing, you can get a lot more height and spin on the iron shots.

Edited by Golfer2223

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

7 hours ago, Golfer2223 said:

@mvmac What I think will help you tremendously is to make some swings using only your arms and shoulders as much as possible, especially on the through swing. Try to really stay back and let the club swing in front of you. In your swing the body is a bit in front of the arms, on the backswing as well. On the backswing the hips and knees open up before the club has gone very far. Let the club get going before the body going back. On the forward swing, try to keep your back to the target longer. This is a common swing concept being taught now "back to the target." If the body is too far in front of the arms there is very little control over impact, and you have to really stay ahead of it. If you can get the arms to be more in control of the forward swing, you can get a lot more height and spin on the iron shots.

I hope you realize that Mike is an instructor and was just showing a drill in his latest video.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

Got on a pressure matt this week, pretty cool stuff. Was getting into a old/usual habit of kicking in too much extension and moving my upper center forward into 4. This lead to both centers moving forward from 4-5 which caused me shift the weight towards my toes. The pressure trace went too sharply to the left. So here are the feels I'm working on the change things.

- Feel more loading into my right hip as I stay in flexion.
- Exaggerate the turning rates on the downswing as my head feels like it stays back.
- Similar feels/piece to what I've already been doing but with more exaggeration and instead of feeling the opening with the hips on the downswing I'm focusing more on the motion of the left shoulder.

The "after" pressure trace, much straighter and finishing into the left heel.

@mvmac01 came by to play on the @boditraksports

A photo posted by Dana Dahlquist (@danadahlquist) on

Mike McLoughlin

Putted really well last year and have been noticing some inconsistencies with my start lines recently. Filmed some putts and saw that my eyes were too far behind the ball and that I was setting up with too much shaft lean. So have been practicing feeling like the shaft is straight up and down at address and that I add some "float load" during the stroke. So far so good, hitting the putts much more solid and they're starting on line.

Sometimes I even practice my putting ? #putting #ping #b65 #superstroke

A video posted by Michael McLoughlin (@mvmac01) on

Mike McLoughlin

4 hours ago, mvmac said:

Putted really well last year and have been noticing some inconsistencies with my start lines recently. Filmed some putts and saw that my eyes were too far behind the ball and that I was setting up with too much shaft lean. So have been practicing feeling like the shaft is straight up and down at address and that I add some "float load" during the stroke. So far so good, hitting the putts much more solid and they're starting on line.

I see you are finally getting serious about lowering your scores ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread